Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2015, 16:14   #376
cruiser

Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

SV Third Day,

Keep up the good work. Agree with you 100%. You're saving me lots of time.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	climate change cartoon.png
Views:	407
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	99300  
Old 23-03-2015, 16:40   #377

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Originally Posted by RaymondR
In Australia the Greens (members of the Greens political party) are known as water melons - green on the outside, red on the inside?

In Australia the Greens (members of the Greens political party) are known as water melons - green on the outside, red on the inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
OMG...I love that!
It's hilarious and True!
Yes, very hilarious

But in no way true.

The Greens are not commonly referred to as 'watermelons'. In fact as Greens member for 30 years I've never previously heard of the saying. Though I admit it's funny. We are called a lot of things far worse.

The Greens are supportive of democracy far beyond both major political parties in this country. That is well demonstrated. They are also demonstratively against corruption and political greed. In this sense, conservatives are much closer to communists.
Old 23-03-2015, 17:51   #378
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I LOVE the labels you guys bandy about for we non-believers! Seriously I'm dying here laughing!.. Why? Because you sound JUST like the Creationists!

I actually thought you GW folks were just trolling, but I've come to realize you really BELIEVE this nonsense! I am utterly amazed that otherwise educated people can swallow such hogwash as gospel, and recite the mantra without an independent thought!

As a civilization, we need not fear the seas rising, we need to fear environmental zealots breeding!
Old 23-03-2015, 18:03   #379
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

If you provide links, you'll be accused of "cutting and pasting," which apparently is a much bigger sin than pulling stuff out of your backside.
Old 23-03-2015, 19:24   #380

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

Yes, very hilarious

But in no way true.

The Greens are not commonly referred to as 'watermelons'. In fact as Greens member for 30 years I've never previously heard of the saying.

Oh, yes they are. I'm neither Green nor in Australia very often, but I am very familiar with the saying.

You will find "About 1,780,000 results(0.49 seconds)" if you Google for "australia greens watermelons".

Just about every link on the first page contains the same "green on the outside and red on the inside" remark. Including attributions to John Annderton and Cardinal Pell both making the remark very publicly during election periods. And articles from the SMH and the Daily Telegraph stating the same meme.

There's even a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Austr...86199664786467 which describes itself as

"A site dedicated to collecting and circulating memes of the Australian Greens and their policies.

The Greens are a watermelon - Green on the outside and Red on the inside."
Old 24-03-2015, 00:48   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oh, yes they are. I'm neither Green nor in Australia very often, but I am very familiar with the saying.

You will find "About 1,780,000 results(0.49 seconds)" if you Google for "australia greens watermelons".

Just about every link on the first page contains the same "green on the outside and red on the inside" remark. Including attributions to John Annderton and Cardinal Pell both making the remark very publicly during election periods. And articles from the SMH and the Daily Telegraph stating the same meme.

There's even a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Austr...86199664786467 which describes itself as

"A site dedicated to collecting and circulating memes of the Australian Greens and their policies.

The Greens are a watermelon - Green on the outside and Red on the inside."
must be my Tasmanan isolation.
Old 24-03-2015, 01:23   #382

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I think you need glasses or a better monitor.

dashed line = NCDC raw.

Now go read the post from Curry's blog.

BTW - she is a skeptic.
Sorry to harp on. Participating in this thread made me do a casual search on current climate change status this evening. One of the first articles I stumbled on kind of confirms my opinion of data homogenization:

The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever - Telegraph

Here's a sample of the article:

Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming.

And another recent article that I found interesting:

'Global warming the greatest scam in history' claims founder of Weather Channel | Nature | News | Daily Express

Hopefully this bogeyman will soon be put to bed and the resources made available can be turned to the more immediate and pressing issues facing mankind and the planet that can actually be resolved.
Old 24-03-2015, 01:31   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Sorry to harp on. Participating in this thread made me do a casual search on current climate change status this evening. One of the first articles I stumbled on kind of confirms my opinion of data homogenization:

The fiddling with temperature data is the biggest science scandal ever - Telegraph

Two weeks ago, under the headline “How we are being tricked by flawed data on global warming”, I wrote about Paul Homewood, who, on his Notalotofpeopleknowthat blog, had checked the published temperature graphs for three weather stations in Paraguay against the temperatures that had originally been recorded. In each instance, the actual trend of 60 years of data had been dramatically reversed, so that a cooling trend was changed to one that showed a marked warming.

'Global warming the greatest scam in history' claims founder of Weather Channel | Nature | News | Daily Express

Hopefully this bogeyman will soon be put to bed and the resources made available can be turned to the more immediate and pressing issues facing mankind and the planet that can actually be resolved.
Just out of interest Reefmagnet, how old do you believe the earth would be ?
Old 24-03-2015, 01:36   #384
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

At the risk of committing an Ad Hom, in this case it's probably justified. If you want to find out more about science then steer clear of Booker, . And the popular media in general.

For a much more in depth view try here ( on the extremely cautious judith Curry site)...

Berkeley Earth: raw versus adjusted temperature data | Climate Etc.

Quote:
In general, noise and inhomogeneities in temperature data will make a temperature field rougher while homogenization practices and spatial averaging will make it smoother. Since the true temperature distribution is unknown, determining the right amount of homogenization to best capture the local details is challenging, and an active area of research. However, as noted above, it makes very little difference to the global averages.
Old 24-03-2015, 03:09   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Just out of interest Reefmagnet, how old do you believe the earth would be ?
Sorry to disappoint you. Its not 6000 years.

4.5 billion years old of which life has been present for 2 billion and advanced life for 600 million

Next question?
Old 24-03-2015, 03:10   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
At the risk of committing an Ad Hom, in this case it's probably justified. If you want to find out more about science then steer clear of Booker, . And the popular media in general.

For a much more in depth view try here ( on the extremely cautious judith Curry site)...

Berkeley Earth: raw versus adjusted temperature data | Climate Etc.
What can I say. Where there's smoke there's fire
Old 24-03-2015, 03:43   #387

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
The Greens are supportive of democracy far beyond both major political parties in this country. That is well demonstrated. They are also demonstratively against corruption and political greed. In this sense, conservatives are much closer to communists.
Bull.

Australia does not have much in the way of extreme right or left wing parties. Both the dominant political parties are centrist. The conservatives are dominated by the Liberal party which fairly well lives up to it's name in that it pursues post enlightenment liberal policies which tend to place individual rights and achievements to the forefront and more importantly they tend to a common sense political approach but tend to be a little too conservative on social development in that they tend to follow the populace on social innovation.

The Australian Labor Party is one of the worlds great political institutions with a very proud history of social achievement unfortunately as Kim Beasleys father said "it used to attract the cream of the working class and now attracts the dregs of the middle class" and cannot be trusted with the cheque book however it still on occasion throws up political genias.

In contrast the Greens are a bunch of disruptive ratbags inhabiting the extreme left of Australian politics. A haven for folks who would once have joined the communist party and consequently deserve the descriptive title of water mellons.
Old 24-03-2015, 03:48   #388

Quote:
[/url]
Dead right. Check out this sample of pro AGW articles in the so called "popular media" aka "the Internet". No crazy, biased and over-exaggerated non peer reviewed hype in this lot

Natural disasters linked to climate change: IPCC study

Steady Increase in Climate Related Natural Disasters - Climate Change Weather Blog

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math | Rolling Stone

Tropical insects face catastrophic reduction in reproduction with climate change | Climate Citizen

Quebec on the verge of catastrophic climate change, expert say

UK ?likely to survive? catastrophic climate change ? experts ? RT UK

The Coming ‘Instant Planetary Emergency’ | The Nation

Runaway Global Warming—A Climate Catastrophe in the Making

State of the Science: Beyond the Worst Case Climate Change Scenario - Scientific American

Fear of 'catastrophic' sea-level rise as ice sheets melt faster than predicted - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

World on course for catastrophic 6° rise, reveal scientists - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

Earth's climate change tipping point to start in 2020, new model predicts | The Japan Times

Planet likely to warm by 4C by 2100, scientists warn | Environment | The Guardian

Climate Change Worse Than We Thought, Likely To Be 'Catastrophic Rather Than Simply Dangerous'

New Climate Change Report Warns of Dire Consequences

If you feast on this stuff, then go wild: Let me google that for you
Old 24-03-2015, 06:01   #389
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Dead right. Check out this sample of pro AGW articles in the so called "popular media" aka "the Internet". No crazy, biased and over-exaggerated non peer reviewed hype in this lot
So are we actually agreeing here??

The popular media isn't a good place to find out about science.

Well done.

Here might be a better place to start...

Climate Change: Evidence and Causes » Climate Change at the National Academies
Old 24-03-2015, 07:22   #390

Quote:
So are we actually agreeing here??

The popular media isn't a good place to find out about science.

Well done.

Here might be a better place to start...

Climate Change: Evidence and Causes » Climate Change at the National Academies
No we're not agreeing on anything. I was just demonstrating that for every "denier" like "Booker" (whom I wouldn't know from a bar of soap, but I've assumed from your derogatory remark is one such "denier"), that there are just as many "warmists" peddling sensational claptrap when all they have to show is research that has lead to a bunch of models that only align with the actual climate when the hindsight parameters get added.

You know, that document you've encouraged me to read is yet another 35 pages of "the sky is falling" and exactly zero, zip, nada pages of suggested solutions. As I've stated previously - let's start saving the world by doing the simple things, for example, like making cell phones that last 10 years and not 2 and stop selling fresh vegetables in styrofoam packaging which do create real problems but also have real and simple to implement solutions. Yes, a whole bunch of climate scientists may end up out of work, but let's stop wasting resources with something that may or may not be a problem and doesn't seem to have any satisfactory solutions.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water