Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 07:56   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Making things last longer is a good idea. It seems the opposite is recently true as the older something is, the longer it seems to last.

As for fruit and vegetables, it's a consumer choice you can make. If you cannot buy any not in packaging, then either move somewhere else or start growing it. I seem to get my fruit and vegetables without any packaging, but in stupid countries like US and NZ, they put a sticker on it which compromises the perfection of what it was.

I read that florida banned the phrases "climate change" "gloibal warming" and "sea level rise" from any government officials.

The sea ice in the arctic is melting and this does not change sea level.

The sea level has risen 7 inches in 150 years from glaciers melting, not sea ice.

Greenland is melting. This is proven, and the rate is quickly accelerating. The way things stand, florida will be mostly underwater... soon.

But maybe not, as enough fresh water quickly dumped into the sea can stop the gulf stream and cause europe to freeze making sea level drop hundreds of feet, for a while.

No one can predict what will happen, but we do know there is no way to get the CO2 out of the atmosphere and at these higher levels are certain to change things significantly from how they were and what humans are adapted for.
Boat_Alexandra. There would be a button next to your bed. Call the nurse your meds need adjusting. Looks like you have good internet in there which is nice.
Old 20-03-2015, 07:56   #47
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Like all religion, Global Warming ranks up with the best of them at being passionate about evangelizing their message. Every great religion presents their facts about why they are correct, many even using science. There will be believers, sinners, and the agnostic.

- Zeb
Old 20-03-2015, 08:18   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Oh dear.

Raising awareness isn't silly, at all. If it changes peoples behaviours, especially our governments, it's a good thing. As an Aussie you'll know we have a climate change denier as a PM, recently brought to task on it by the US president...

I don't understand where your stone age argument comes from when there are many, new, technologies we could move to in order to get away from fossil fuels. And I agree with you on styrofoam, I wish the Govt would take some strong action on it. It appears the coalition won't because they're in bed with business.

Climate change is very real and I agree, we need to do a lot more to address it.
In Australia we also have a fringe dweller Member of our Parliament, Christine Milne who says we can go fossil fuel free now. She is working hard on her first fossil fuel free project, how to get our Politicians to Parliament in Canberra (considering our Politicians live throughout our continent of 8,560,000 Square Kilometers)
Her current solution is to buy a bike and leave early. Can't use those nasty Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Old 20-03-2015, 08:25   #49
cruiser

Boat: San Juan 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
On February 13, a yachting crew from Poland sailed its 67-foot sloop, Selma, to a latitude in Antarctica's Bay of Whales that's traditionally frozen solid, and only navigable by icebreaker. It was a hundred miles farther south than anyone had ever taken a sailboat. Temperatures hovered around zero degrees Fahrenheit (it's the height of summer in the south pole) as the crew took turns hacking a heavy layer of frost that coated the ship's deck and rails. A storm briefly sent twenty-foot waves in their path, but the surface was calm when Selma finally ran out of sea. "We touched the ice of the Antarctic," skipper Piotr Kuniar told Radio Poland. "We cannot sail any further."

Read more: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways - MensJournal.com
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook
If you're relying on MENS JOURNAL for information on global warming, be sure to apply a little critical thinking in the process. This liberally biased rag is anything but objective... look at their product recomm3ndations for further proof of ill informed bias.
Old 20-03-2015, 08:26   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Alexandra why make stuff up?. With fast neutron or breeder reactor technology there is, for all practical purposes, unlimited energy >5 billion years worth at 1983 consumption rates.

Breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Australia has enough Uranium reserves for the first few hundred years......
Old 20-03-2015, 08:30   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Wow, are there really people who still doubt climate change?
Unbelievable
Ya....kind of like doubting the "Big Bang Theory" which has now been proven to be false. So much for consensus...which isn't Science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Like all religion, Global Warming ranks up with the best of them at being passionate about evangelizing their message. Every great religion presents their facts about why they are correct, many even using science. There will be believers, sinners, and the agnostic.

- Zeb
The Catholic Church sold indulgences...the MMGW Church sells Carbon Credits.
Old 20-03-2015, 08:36   #52

Location: L'Aber-Wrac'h in north Britanny in France in the European Union
Boat: buying process in progress

Hello Benz, you will have El-nino in 2015. Let's have the scientists analyse and juge the situation. It is not a matter of believing. It is not a religious question.The ozone hole has been reduced because a world ban was put on the responsible chemical compounds (it is not a fiasco, it is a success).
Old 20-03-2015, 08:43   #53

Boat: Beneteau 343

I learned in 5th grade that we are coming out of an ice age. That seems like a long time ago but it really isn't.
Old 20-03-2015, 08:51   #54
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmrichard View Post
Hello Benz, you will have El-nino in 2015. Let's have the scientists analyse and juge the situation. It is not a matter of believing. It is not a religious question.The ozone hole has been reduced because a world ban was put on the responsible chemical compounds (it is not a fiasco, it is a success).
Spoken like every great Evangelist with firm belief
Old 20-03-2015, 08:54   #55

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmrichard View Post
Once again making up stuff...looks like little to no progress on ozone hole reduction if the data from NASA Goddard is to be believed.

Looks like the world ban on the responsible chemical compounds was ineffective to useless. The only success is in the minds of the true Kool-Aid drinker believers.

Ozone Hole Watch: Latest status of Antarctic ozone
Old 20-03-2015, 08:54   #56

Boat: St Francis 50

boat alexandra:
a couple of comments on your comments:
1. The octane comparison has little to do with energy transfer, a higher octane allows an engine to run at a higher compression and not Knock. The energy density of a fuel in btu's per gallon signifies its potential to power machines. Ethanol is less dense and therefore has less power to transfer to an engine.

2. Trees convert carbon dioxide to carbon (wood) as they grow - they retain the carbon as wood when it is used for all the things we use wood for (houses, funiture etc). When finally burned it releases no more CO2 per pound than grasses, wheat etc. This is not true for ethanol which consumes additional energy in the process of making it. Therefore going to 100% corn derived ethanol increases pollution because the sum total of energy input (land fertilization+ethanol processing+addition gallons used-due to lower energy density) is greater but less efficient than straight gasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-03-2015, 08:54   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Running around like Chicken Little declaring the sky is falling doesn't appear to be working imo.

... along with the "tweaking" of data to obtain a desired result (remember Climategate?) is just plain dumb.
And here I was thinking that climate change had finally made it to the list of things (politics, religion) that one doesn't discuss in polite company.

It's interesting that you equate any acknowlegement of AGW with Chicken Little, yet 'Climategate' (y'know, where you're supposed to believe that 95% or more of the world's climate scientists were colluding to fudge and falsify data in order to get grants or advance their schemes of Green World Domination, and/or to roll the world back to some stone age agrarian subsistence ...) is credible to you?

(the 'reality' of Climategate, and the notion that any of those 'revelations' were proof that the scientists were fudging. or that the conclusions were suspect, has been disproved over and over. But you're welcome to think that 95% of the subject matter experts are less trustworthy and more corruptible than the fossil fuel lobby)

Anyway... Carry on.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:01   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

There seems to be a huge amount of confusion between 'climate' and 'weather' in this thread, which is strange considering it's full of sailors! Also a lack of knowledge of what the carbon cycle actually entails, but I guess that's more understandable.

Also as a climate scientist in a previous life, watching other people pretend that the earths climate ins't changing extremely rapidly (as in, changes taking place in decades rather than thousands of years) and that this isn't man-made seems to be pretty gobsmacking, to the point of wilful blindness - or even religion-like faith.

There is so, so much raw data showing that the earth's climate is rapidly warming, the ice caps are retreating and that huge amounts of methane are starting to be released.

But hey, I guess it's easier to pretend that thousands of scientific institutions, respected journals and al gore are all in cahoots with each other for mysterious reasons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Once again making up stuff...looks like little to no progress on ozone hole reduction if the data from NASA Goddard is to be believed.

Looks like the world ban on the responsible chemical compounds was ineffective to useless. The only success is in the minds of the true Kool-Aid drinker believers.

Ozone Hole Watch: Latest status of Antarctic ozone
What? That webpage you linked seems to show that the hole stopped growing - I think that is a success by any reasonable metric!
Old 20-03-2015, 09:04   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzerTom View Post
If you're relying on MENS JOURNAL for information on global warming, be sure to apply a little critical thinking in the process. This liberally biased rag is anything but objective... look at their product recomm3ndations for further proof of ill informed bias.
I was reporting a sailing story. I am sorry that I used the headline from the story as a thread header.

I rely on original research for my science.
Old 20-03-2015, 09:06   #60
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
And here I was thinking that climate change had finally made it to the list of things (politics, religion) that one doesn't discuss in polite company..
LE....we know we can always count on you to help set the Climate Scam straight, but when you see how the data is being massaged and faked...you might as well say that Bran muffins are good for your health, eating Fat makes you fat, and admit that the warming predicted by all the models just isn't happening.

ISIS believes in their global Caliphate to bring about the battle of Armageddon and the end of the world and the MMGW Jihadists believe that man made CO2 will destroy the planet. Interesting connection between the two I think, as both are driven by religious ideology.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water