Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 14:54   #1

Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

On February 13, a yachting crew from Poland sailed its 67-foot sloop, Selma, to a latitude in Antarctica's Bay of Whales that's traditionally frozen solid, and only navigable by icebreaker. It was a hundred miles farther south than anyone had ever taken a sailboat. Temperatures hovered around zero degrees Fahrenheit (it's the height of summer in the south pole) as the crew took turns hacking a heavy layer of frost that coated the ship's deck and rails. A storm briefly sent twenty-foot waves in their path, but the surface was calm when Selma finally ran out of sea. "We touched the ice of the Antarctic," skipper Piotr Kuniar told Radio Poland. "We cannot sail any further."

Read more: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways - MensJournal.com
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook
Old 19-03-2015, 15:48   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Northern hemisphere's cold winter been more than offset by the southern's hot summer. Has the big freeze in the north been attributed to global warming, I wonder?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-03-2015, 16:10   #3

There is a good chance the NWP will be open this summer / fall

On February 25, 2015, Arctic sea ice extent appeared to have reached its annual maximum extent, marking the beginning of the sea ice melt season. This year’s maximum extent not only occurred early; it is also the lowest in the satellite record.

Old 19-03-2015, 16:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Northern hemisphere's cold winter been more than offset by the southern's hot summer.
Really? The Northern hemisphere has been especially cold?
Old 19-03-2015, 16:30   #5

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
On February 13, a yachting crew from Poland sailed its 67-foot sloop, Selma, to a latitude in Antarctica's Bay of Whales that's traditionally frozen solid, and only navigable by icebreaker. It was a hundred miles farther south than anyone had ever taken a sailboat. Temperatures hovered around zero degrees Fahrenheit (it's the height of summer in the south pole) as the crew took turns hacking a heavy layer of frost that coated the ship's deck and rails. A storm briefly sent twenty-foot waves in their path, but the surface was calm when Selma finally ran out of sea. "We touched the ice of the Antarctic," skipper Piotr Kuniar told Radio Poland. "We cannot sail any further."

Read more: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways - MensJournal.com
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook

Doesn't really jibe overall with the facts.

"Antarctic sea ice extent reached its annual minimum, dipping to 3.58 million square kilometers (1.38 million square miles) on February 20. This is the fourth highest summer minimum extent on record, trailing behind 2008 (3.75 million square kilometers or 1.44 million square miles, highest), 2013, and 2003. The 2014 Antarctic minimum ranked the fifth highest (3.54 million square kilometers or 1.36 million square miles). For the month as a whole, February 2015 has the sixth highest ice extent (3.8 million square kilometers or 1.46 million square miles). The sea ice extent trend for February for 1979 to 2015 shows an increase of 5.0% per decade."

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2...-in-the-south/

Figure 6b. Monthly Antarctic February ice extent for 1979 to 2015 shows a trend of 5.0% per decade relative to the 1981 to 2010 average.

Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center
High-resolution image
Image 8 of 8 (play slideshow) Download

Old 19-03-2015, 17:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Really? The Northern hemisphere has been especially cold?
Ok well North America to be pedantic about it. I'm over every single weather anomaly that occurs as being associated with "global warming". No matter if it's too hot, too cold, drought, flood or tempest it's that darn global warming's fault. Apparently the natural climate, unlike the weather, must be static and never change.

But on the subject of hottest years on record (of which every year just about seems to be) here's an interesting chart from a reputable source:

Now, I'm an ignorant layman, but this just screams "heat island effect". Also, the differential between cooling and heating trends to the left of Antartica there says "local anomaly" as in the same "local anomaly" that some climate scientists describe as the cause of the medieval warming period and little ice age that allows them to discount these climate "blips" in recent climate history.

Anyway, I think it's great that the Northwest Passage is opening up in summer on a regular basis. I'd really like to sail that area one day.
Old 19-03-2015, 17:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Yeah, I see that heat island effect across Alaska, arctic Canada and the Northern Russian plains. I guess if you only looked at Brazil it could scream at you.
Old 19-03-2015, 18:40   #8

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

It's fairly obvious the climate is changing very fast by geological standards. Even in south east asia, the monsoon season is later by almost 2 months from 20 years ago.

Overall this is not a good thing for most species (and most humans) and many will perish, however maybe it's good for some of us for various reasons as we can take advantage of the situation in the short-term. In the long-term the future looks bleak as it may render most of the earth as incapable of supporting life once the warming reaches the 10C mark.
Old 19-03-2015, 18:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yeah, I see that heat island effect across Alaska, arctic Canada and the Northern Russian plains. I guess if you only looked at Brazil it could scream at you.
Well OK. Considering that the homogeneous distribution of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere should more or less result in equal warming of the N & S hemispheres over a 60+ year, my next guesses are that either the sun has progressively been shining more in the north or the hot air has been rising.
Old 19-03-2015, 19:02   #10

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

there are geographical reasons why the south is colder. Antarctica is surrounded by cold ocean currents and warm water from the tropics does not flow down there. The gulf stream flows into the arctic.
Old 19-03-2015, 19:17   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm surprised that Global Warming hasn't been blamed on El Nino. What happened to the yearly El Nino panic? Oh, wait, it's been replaced by the "Climate Change" panic now in vogue, and was preceded by the "Hole in the Ozone Layer" fiasco. I can't believe how many people keep falling for the agenda-riddled panic-du-jour. Perhaps, like natural climate cycles, these environmentalist panic cycles will repeat themselves naturally and we can have a good old El Nino and hole-in-the-ozone-layer emergency again.
Old 19-03-2015, 19:48   #12

Boat: Able 50

Unfortunately Jackdale you have been hoodwinked by the warmistas. The truth is that the Antarctic summers of recent years have been colder than ever. Last year an expedition of scientists off to prove the effects of global warming on Antarctica was frozen in during summer. How embarrassment !
Global Warming Researchers Rescued From Antarctic Ice - Breitbart

Just a few weeks ago a fishing boat was also stranded in ice during summer.
U.S. Coast Guard rescues 26 from vessel stuck in Antarctic ice | Reuters

In addition, the area of the Antarctic covered by sea ice is at record highs.
Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum | NASA

Beware of Warmistas. They will tell you anything.
Old 19-03-2015, 20:01   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Not the MMGW scam again...Sheesh...it must be a slow news day to recycle this old scam. Better go back to the big bang theory....oppps....that went from a scienticic consensus to failed theory. Maybe Al Gore was right after all, we need to punish these Climate Change Denyers...you know like those fools that said fat made you fat...hahaha
Old 19-03-2015, 20:34   #14

Boat: Able 50

Waddayamean ? Everyone knows it's donuts that make you fat. 100,000 cops can't be wrong.
Old 19-03-2015, 21:17   #15

Of course there's no reason to suspect the validity of the data. I mean, it's not like the government would lie, falsify, tamper with or change the data to support their agenda -

Oh, wait. Never mind.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water