Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 03:15   #1456

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
Hey Reef Magnet. I see a month later the shrill warmists like Jackdale are still rabbiting on, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste.... Meanwhile my climate modelling has accurately predicted the weather is 10C warmer than a month ago. My Ne forecast is the weather will be 10C cooler when we get to October.
Also in the last month my boat has been made ready for a summer of sailing.
We must thank Jackdale et al for confirming the nonsense of the warmists. Shhhhh. I'm on track to seel Jackdale a big bridge in Sydney Harbour. I'll throw in a big tunnel for the same price.
Happy summer of sailing guys.
Yes, but we've picked up some new contenders and dropped off some old in the meantime!

Heading into winter here. Absolutely horrible 25 degree (Celsius!) daytime weather and constant trade winds to suffer. Curse you AGW!

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-04-2015, 04:54   #1457
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yep, no spring in the southern hemisphere.

That makes no sense. Heating is still heating even if sometimes it's less that other times.
Old 22-04-2015, 04:59   #1458

The U.S.’s energy infrastructure will need major changes, says Obama report | Washington Post
Quote:
April 21, 2015
The U.S. electric grid will require major changes to reposition itself for the future challenges of climate change, new technologies, and national security in coming decades, according to a first-ever “Quadrennial Energy Review”released by the Obama administration....

The report comes at a time of major transition in the U.S. power sector. Solar and wind energy are expanding rapidly, and natural gas is gaining on coal. Meanwhile, the administration is pursuing a plan to limit greenhouse gas emissions by power plants. The new developments, combined with risks related to extreme weather, terrorism, cyber-attacks and aging infrastructure, make this a transformative moment for the nation’s power backbone....

“Threats to the grid — ranging from geomagnetic storms that can knock out crucial transformers; to terrorist attacks on transmission lines and substations; to more flooding, faster sea-level rise, and increasingly powerful storms from global climate change — have been growing even as society’s dependence on the grid has increased,” says the document....

Some industry voices have suggested that the Clean Power Plan itself — the administration’s flagship climate policy move — will weaken the reliability of the U.S. grid, switching out the steady power delivery of coal-fired electricity for more inherently intermittent renewable sources, like solar and wind.

The Quadrennial Energy Review’s approach is different. The document acknowledges major energy infrastructure challenges, while nonetheless continually returning to the vital need to address climate change. For indeed, the report notes, a changing climate itself poses grid security challenges due to increases in extreme weather (events like the “polar vortex” can lead to large bulges in energy demand), rising seas (which could threaten low-lying power infrastructure), and other forecast changes.

At the same time, two administrative agency moves seek to coordinate an Energy Department partnership with major utilities like Exelon, National Grid, and Pacific Gas and Electric to improve “resilience” to extreme weather and climate threats, and a Department of Agriculture program to encourage solar energy and other new power infrastructure in rural areas....
Interesting how even the utility companies have been suckered into believing in AGW.
Old 22-04-2015, 05:01   #1459
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
What this shows is zero correlation between the last 16 year increase in CO2 and global temperature measured by NASA.
That's low altitude air temperature. Ignoring extra energy absorbed by the oceans. Which are heating up.
Old 22-04-2015, 05:19   #1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
That makes no sense. Heating is still heating even if sometimes it's less that other times.
I'd call that clear evidence of natural variability on a regional scale, myself. Nothing to do with AGW, move along. And I do believe it refers to radiative forcing. I'm guessing heating isn't mentioned except for one unquantified reference - aka expanding Antarctic ice sheets - because perhaps temp observations don't fit with a desired outcome?

So now the beans have been spilt on the fact that co2 is obviously regionally variable on the global scale in ppm, exactly how and where is the 405 ppm figure currently muted derived from? If it was me I'd measure from the middle of Australia. There's no one within a Bon Scott coo-eee out there.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:31   #1461

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
So copying and pasting research is a bad thing? Mmmmmkay ... I like how some of you have tried to do that ... yet do the same thing. Some good lols over here
I mostly quote to support my argument. There are quite a few here that post without comment.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:32   #1462

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
That's low altitude air temperature. Ignoring extra energy absorbed by the oceans. Which are heating up.
You forgot to include the Montreal protocol...

Old 22-04-2015, 05:38   #1463

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
The U.S.’s energy infrastructure will need major changes, says Obama report | Washington Post
Interesting how even the utility companies have been suckered into believing in AGW.
They also believe in, among other things, terrorist attacks and rising sea level. And we've already thrashed out the latter.

Edit: I should note that the reference is to climate change, not a single AGW reference in your copy and paste.

Just a reminder: Many deniers believe in climate change. it's AGW that is questioned.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:40   #1464

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just two more pages Reefmagnet

What's the record?
Old 22-04-2015, 05:42   #1465

Why understanding the legally disruptive nature of climate change matters | Oxford University Press
Quote:
It is now commonly recognized by governments that climate change is an issue that must be addressed. The 21st Conference of Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change to be held in Paris in December 2015 is the most high profile example of this, but there are also many examples of governments beginning to craft national and supranational regulatory responses. Climate change has also begun to give rise to many different types of litigation and there is a rich literature charting this….

Within legal orders, we have well-established doctrines, means of regulation, and dispute resolution procedures that provide the starting point for dealing with social problems and disputes, including those affected by climate change. Even if we create new climate change regimes, the background legal culture does not disappear. For example, principles such as the rule of law and separation of powers are constitutional bedrocks of many legal systems and any action in relation to climate change must be judged against them. Yet the identification of, and response to, climate change as a legal problem does not always sit easily with these existing principles, doctrines, and frameworks. This can particularly be seen by focusing on the growing body of case law concerning climate change. These cases are interesting because courts and other adjudicative bodies are places in which social conflicts caused by climate change surface and manifest as legal problems, and which provide legitimate and peaceable means for their resolution. Understanding the adjudication of climate change issues is thus both socially and legally important and involves delving into at least three challenging legal issues.

First, there is the overarching question of whether law can and should recognize climate change as a problem and develop a response to it. Climate change does not fall easily into a pre-existing category of harm recognized by the law. It relates to future harm, which is dispersed across the globe. To establish the cause of such harm requires the use of complex computer models and tackling uncertainties. Climate change is the product of multiple agents working in an interdependent global market economy. Agents can argue that their contribution to climate change is just a ‘drop in the ocean’ that should not attract legal consequences. Dealing with climate change forces us to think about how law makes sense of the facts of a case, rules of evidence, concepts of causation, and about a reasonable basis for regulatory action. The precautionary principle has become a high profile legal principle because it is directly concerned with the factual basis of public decision-making. Its controversial status highlights the intractability of these ‘factual’ issues.

Second, even if climate change is recognized as a problem, it still presents a series of difficult legal issues as courts and legal decision-makers are drawn into responding to it. Political will in relation to climate change has not been strong and much litigation concerning climate change has been about catalyzing action. But demands for action come up against pre-existing doctrines concerning standing, substantive legal doctrines relating to legal responsibility, judicial conventions of comity and constitutional restraint, and the fact that the traditional vehicle for public action is the nation state. Furthermore, there is a fundamental question of which courts, in which countries, are appropriate forums for dealing with climate change-related issues, and how different courts should interrelate on these issues (if at all).

Third, if new regulatory regimes are developed to respond to climate change, they often create novel regulatory schemes of which lawyers struggle to make sense. Emission trading schemes are a good example. Our understanding of these complex legal devices is malleable and contested, as has been seen in the case of the European Union Emissions Trading System (EU ETS), which has given rise to a complex body of case law about its nature and scope. The social and legal challenges created by climate change are not resolved by clever regulatory schemes….
Old 22-04-2015, 05:43   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Just two more pages Reefmagnet

What's the record?
I dunno, but my post counts has reached "Grand Master" lol.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:46   #1467

You screwed up your copy and paste, but ditto on this one to. In fact I'm surprised there is no reference to anthropogenic influence at all. Perhaps I've misread it.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:46   #1468
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
I mostly quote to support my argument. There are quite a few here that post without comment.

That's pure hypocrisy. If you read the quotes they're self-evident.

You can't belittle someone's argument because they copy content from other sites then do the same and retain credibility.
Old 22-04-2015, 05:49   #1469

Quote:
You screwed up your copy and paste, but ditto on this one to. In fact I'm surprised there is no reference to anthropogenic influence at all. Perhaps I've misread it.

Another edit: you realise this conference has one item on the agenda regarding forming a UN based global government of non elected officials under the pretext of controlling climate change. Think about the implications of that for a moment.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:53   #1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
That's pure hypocrisy. If you read the quotes they're self-evident.

You can't belittle someone's argument because they copy content from other sites then do the same and retain credibility.
You can when they provide zip comment. There's been instances where the paster was shown to not even had read their own links.

Anyway, enlighten us with your views on this issue.

Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water