Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 00:02   #1321
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 435
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
- because we're in a period of increased political polarization, and the above groups, the status quo, are most closely aligned with the right wing, and ecological concern is most closely aligned with the left, and people seem quite content to follow politics over science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The world is somewhat bigger than the US.
Indeed it is, as is the increased polarization of politics. Why do you construe his comments as US centric? If you have any knowledge of world events you would be aware that from eastern and western Europe to Canada and even South America new, far right parties are being formed or old ones are becoming stronger and more popular, as are leftist parties.
__________________

__________________
Brob2 is offline  
Old 13-04-2015, 00:58   #1322
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Indeed it is, as is the increased polarization of politics. Why do you construe his comments as US centric? If you have any knowledge of world events you would be aware that from eastern and western Europe to Canada and even South America new, far right parties are being formed or old ones are becoming stronger and more popular, as are leftist parties.
I have no interest in being drawn into a political debate. Sorry.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 13-04-2015, 06:08   #1323
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I have no interest in being drawn into a political debate. Sorry.
And you were high-fiving the senor from the right-wing peanut gallery for what reason, then?

Your position is nothing but political. About zero of the little fragments of 'evidence' that you fling about has any real traction, they've all been successfully deflated, yet you and your ideological buddies apparently think that if you throw them fast and often enough they'll maybe pile up and stick together (because of spit, maybe) into some kind of credible case.

And you know what? It worked. You successfully trolled me and a few others. So, props for that.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 13-04-2015, 06:14   #1324
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,737
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
And you were high-fiving the senor from the right-wing peanut gallery for what reason, then?

Your position is nothing but political. About zero of the little fragments of 'evidence' that you fling about has any real traction, they've all been successfully deflated, yet you and your ideological buddies apparently think that if you throw them fast and often enough they'll maybe pile up and stick together (because of spit, maybe) into some kind of credible case.

And you know what? It worked. You successfully trolled me and a few others. So, props for that.
Then how come some pro-AGW government isn't in power with 97% of the vote? Little to do with politics at this level imo. Why you think you're being trolled, I have no idea?

Actually, just looked back I haven't raised politics at all unless it was a response afaik.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 13-04-2015, 06:15   #1325
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,059
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

[QUOTE=Lake-Effect;1799440]- because some major industrial sectors stand to have their profits curtailed by any reduction in fossil fuel consumption, and have spent massive amounts to fund "counter-science" and advocacy, leaving no trick unplayed, to block the science from gaining traction with the public and governments.

- because we're in a period of increased political polarization, and the above groups, the status quo, are most closely aligned with the right wing, and ecological concern is most closely aligned with the left, and people seem quite content to follow politics over science.

The collateral damage in all of this is, of course, the people who dedicate their lives and careers to the pursuit of knowledge (for not very f#@king much money either), and the scientific process itself.

Not that you seem to give a damn...[/QUOTE]

Aaahhh, the old closing sentence insult trick. Typical warmista.
__________________
savoir is online now  
Old 13-04-2015, 06:17   #1326
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,104
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
"Not that you seem to give a damn... "


Ah yes. Typical leftie.
When you can't prove your argument, throw in a personal attack.
Typical indeed...



The caption reads 'Sydney, what's happened to you? You've become obese.'
__________________
jimbunyard is offline  
Old 13-04-2015, 07:17   #1327
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 05:17   #1328
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 632
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

California’s Cycles of Drought | New York Times


Quote:
The drought, now in its fourth year, is by many measures the worst since the state began keeping records of temperature and precipitation in the 1800s. And with a population now close to 39 million and a thirsty, $50 billion agricultural industry, California has been affected more by this drought than by any previous one.

But scientists say that in the more ancient past, California and the Southwest occasionally had even worse droughts — so-called megadroughts — that lasted decades. At least in parts of California, in two cases in the last 1,200 years, these dry spells lingered for up to two centuries.

The new normal, scientists say, may in fact be an old one....





A recent study, for example, suggests that in the second half of this century, the warming that will result from rising concentrations of greenhouse gases will greatly increase the risk of a severe long-term drought in the Southwest and Plains that could rival or even exceed some of the ancient ones.

“Climate change is really weighting the dice” in favor of future megadroughts, said Toby R. Ault, a researcher at Cornell University and an author of the study...

“Equally as important but much easier to forget is that we consider the last 150 years or so to be normal,” he added. “But you don’t have to go back very far at all to find much drier decades, and much drier centuries.”
That raises the possibility that California has built its water infrastructure — indeed, its entire modern society — during a wet period....

“But I was actually surprised at how well we’d get through such a drought,” he said. “California would not dry up and blow away. It would be bad but we would still have civilization, so long as we managed it at all well.”
__________________
SailOar is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 07:06   #1329
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Holy Toledo

This thread is still going. Are you guys going for a record?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 08:50   #1330
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,832
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

At least it's starting to suffer from over exposure.
The number of posts per day is dropping.
Some people seem to LIVE to post here.
Do they even own a boat?
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 09:18   #1331
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
At least it's starting to suffer from over exposure.
The number of posts per day is dropping.
Some people seem to LIVE to post here.
Do they even own a boat?
Please provide references from refereed journal articles for your remarks. My sense is the number of posts per day is going up [1].


References
1. Python, M., Posts Per Day Increasing on CF Global Warming Thread, J. of Argumentative Research, Vol. 3, No. 4, Apr, 2015.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 09:23   #1332
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,540
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Please provide references from refereed journal articles for your remarks. My sense is the number of posts per day is going up [1].


References
1. Python, M., Posts Per Day Increasing on CF Global Warming Thread, J. of Argumentative Research, Vol. 3, No. 4, Apr, 2015.
Your reference is wrong. It was in the journal of confrontational academia
__________________
conachair is online now  
Old 14-04-2015, 09:31   #1333
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,059
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

__________________
savoir is online now  
Old 14-04-2015, 10:32   #1334
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,832
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Perfect comparison of this thread. Thanks for a good laugh.
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 14-04-2015, 11:30   #1335
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,943
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts: Global warming behind 2005 hurricanes CaptainK Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 25-04-2006 22:42
Scientists blame sun for global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 17 17-04-2006 11:25
Public service ads aim to raise awareness about global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 11 26-03-2006 13:52
Pacific islanders move to escape global warming CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 36 17-01-2006 00:30
New source of global warming gas found: plants CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 6 16-01-2006 00:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.