Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 00:40   #1156
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post

Why on earth are you wasting space here with data on atmospheric temperatures when it's surface temperatures that are spiking?
Greenhouse gases are supposed to warm the atmosphere. The troposphere is supposed to be warming over equatorial regions and that would prove to be a "smoking gun" for greenhouse effect and so far it aint playing ball. So should the poles as greenhouse theory (aka models) predict increased relative warming over the polar regions. Whilst the Arctic is dutifully complying, the Antarctic is not. Seems the whole link with greenhouse gas emissions to global warming could still be considered somewhat "up in the air".

Here. Let me practice what I preach:


Carbon Planet - The Greenhouse Effect

The (missing) tropical hot spot « Climate Dialogue
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 00:42   #1157
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
And here is the disaster that global warming is wrecking on the maldives.
Hmm, not sure global warming is that particular island's main problem!
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:24   #1158
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Re: Meteor strike

Re: AGW disasters currently occuring
No clue what you're trying to communicate here.


Quote:
Righto champ. Your turn to practice what you preach.
With pleasure.

Have you seen all the links to peer reviewed studies and data I, and others, have posted? That's supporting evidence for the assertions we make - something that's conspicuously missing from your posts.

I take it we can assume you won't be posting any evidence to support your bird death claim?
__________________
Tensen is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:30   #1159
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 120
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Greenhouse gases are supposed to warm the atmosphere. The troposphere is supposed to be warming over equatorial regions and that would prove to be a "smoking gun" for greenhouse effect and so far it aint playing ball.
Supposed to be? Says who?

The troposhere not warming has no impact on the fact that the surface is warming rapidly!

Quote:
So should the poles as greenhouse theory (aka models) predict increased relative warming over the polar regions. Whilst the Arctic is dutifully complying, the Antarctic is not. Seems the whole link with greenhouse gas emissions to global warming could still be considered somewhat "up in the air".
"Extremely likely" in your own words. Not "somewhat up in the air" (you've stepped backed from a straight "up in the air" though, which is promising).

The first is a simple explanation of AGW, not sure why you felt the need to share.

The second is not a peer reviewed publication. It's a blogger - try again.
__________________
Tensen is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:42   #1160
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
Supposed to be? Says who?

The troposhere not warming has no impact on the fact that the surface is warming rapidly!

"Extremely likely" in your own words. Not "somewhat up in the air" (you've stepped backed from a straight "up in the air" though, which is promising).

The first is a simple explanation of AGW, not sure why you felt the need to share.

The second is not a peer reviewed publication. It's a blogger - try again.
Ok if you say so.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:55   #1161
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Greenhouse gases are supposed to warm the atmosphere. The troposphere is supposed to be warming over equatorial regions and that would prove to be a "smoking gun" for greenhouse effect and so far it aint playing ball. So should the poles as greenhouse theory (aka models) predict increased relative warming over the polar regions. Whilst the Arctic is dutifully complying, the Antarctic is not. Seems the whole link with greenhouse gas emissions to global warming could still be considered somewhat "up in the air".

Here. Let me practice what I preach:


Carbon Planet - The Greenhouse Effect

The (missing) tropical hot spot « Climate Dialogue
The solar constant is the amount of radiation arriving just outside the earths atmosphere perpendicular to a flat plate. So something odd in this illustration because the solar constant or solar irradiance is 1361 W/m2.

So what is the 342 W/m2 emitted by the sun value? The average insolation, solar energy making it to the earths surface and accounting for the spherical shape of the planet and atmosphere is approx. 250 W/m2.

The 342 W/m2 be the average extra-terrestrial solar insulation.

All-in-all, a very sloppy illustration.
__________________
LakeSuperior is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 01:58   #1162
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensen View Post
No clue what you're trying to communicate here.


With pleasure.

Have you seen all the links to peer reviewed studies and data I, and others, have posted? That's supporting evidence for the assertions we make - something that's conspicuously missing from your posts.
I usually try and explain my stance and understanding of the point I am making, rather than simply slap up link after link, peer reviewed or not.

But if you insist: New peer-reviewed paper finds the hot spot predicted by climate models doesnt exist Published in Geophysical Research Letters | Climate Depot
Quote:

I take it we can assume you won't be posting any evidence to support your bird death claim?
Because you appear to be the last one to figure it out, the whole bird / windmill thing was an off the cuff remark that has somehow become a major issue with some people aka you. I guess that means that all the other stuff I have referred or argued against represents a strong argument. So thanks for confirming that.

Anyway, I think you want me to prove or disprove how many birds have died as a result of AGW? The best I can do in short time is below. The lack of hard numbers, however usually indicates that the article is a "fluff"piece.

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/..._factsheet.pdf

WWF - Climate change impacts on bird species
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 02:00   #1163
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The solar constant is the amount of radiation arriving just outside the earths atmosphere perpendicular to a flat plate. So something odd in this illustration because the solar constant or solar irradiance is 1361 W/m2.

So what is the 342 W/m2 emitted by the sun value? The average insolation, solar energy making it to the earths surface and accounting for the spherical shape of the planet and atmosphere is approx. 250 W/m2.

The 342 W/m2 be the average extra-terrestrial solar insulation.

All-in-all, a very sloppy illustration.
I know the numbers are wrong. I thought it was a nice pretty and simple picture for my other friend that graphically illustrated the concept.

Edit: Evidence. A day or two ago I posted the actual value very close to yours. So there.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 02:05   #1164
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Have to agree with that.

However Maldives is one of the global warming alarmist will raise sea level hotspots as used in these examples.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Miami, Florida is in the beginning phases of a slow-motion disaster.

Goodbye, Miami | Rolling Stone Magazine
Sea Level Rise Threatens to Drown Miami Even Faster Than Feared, UM Researcher Finds | Miami New Times

Before sea level rises, Miami Beach officials want to raise West Avenue 1 to 2 feet | Miami Herald Miami Herald

Treading Water - National Geographic Magazine

Scientist: 'Miami, As We Know It Today, Is Doomed. It's Not A Question Of If. It's A Question Of When.' | ThinkProgress
__________________
downunder is online now  
Old 09-04-2015, 02:10   #1165
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
And here is the disaster that global warming is wrecking on the maldives.
Yep, islands sinking everywhere (Borat accent......) NOT!

Welcome to Australia's newest islands, thrust from the sea by a raging cyclone Nathan | Environment | The Guardian
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 04:20   #1166
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,571
Images: 240
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Out of context. I'm explaining how "extremely likely" isn't equivalent to "will occur" ...
The IPCC has defined/quantified the terms they use to reflect confidence & uncertainty.
Virtually certain = 99 - 100% probability
Very likely = 90 - 100% probability
etc.
http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/supporting-ma...dance-note.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 05:26   #1167
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,734
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The IPCC has defined/quantified the terms they use to reflect confidence & uncertainty.
Virtually certain = 99 - 100% probability
Very likely = 90 - 100% probability
etc.
http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/supporting-ma...dance-note.pdf
Something I read somewhere quotes in the 2013 report as 95%

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 06:01   #1168
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
........999,400 Parts Per Million are not CO2...... Friggin enormous according to lake-effect......apparently.
Fun with math:

The concentration of C02 in the atmosphere has increased by 40% in the last 200 years, and half of that increase was just in the last 50 years.

(I'd cut'n'paste something, but you'd just get irritable)

40% increase in atmospheric CO2, caused by us. And more to come. Is that not friggin enormous?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 06:14   #1169
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
... the whole bird / windmill thing was an off the cuff remark that has somehow become a major issue with some people aka you. I guess that means that all the other stuff I have referred or argued against represents a strong argument.
... not exactly.

I recall that the bird windmill/AGW remark was a 'claim' from you, suggesting some level of confidence. If you're going to 'claim' something so weak and easily disproved, it kind of undermines our confidence in your other arguments, doesn't it?

Quote:
Something I read somewhere quotes in the 2013 report as 95%
If your dr told you there's a 95% chance you have a malignent tumour, you'd get naked and jump up on the operating room table before the dr looks up from their clipboard.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18   #1170
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,506
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

The global warming believers have it all bass-ackwards. I just finished shoveling 2 inches of fresh snow out front...about an hour north of Boston. Temps below freezing. Please splainme how the Ice is going to open up with temps decreasing like this? The ponds and lakes around here are still frozen over on April 9th, and no Spring flowers are coming up.

Maybe the believers should be the ones labeled as "deniers," since they seem to be the ones denying what's actually coming down and hitting them on the head.... In the form of snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	100165  
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts: Global warming behind 2005 hurricanes CaptainK Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 25-04-2006 22:42
Scientists blame sun for global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 17 17-04-2006 11:25
Public service ads aim to raise awareness about global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 11 26-03-2006 13:52
Pacific islanders move to escape global warming CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 36 17-01-2006 00:30
New source of global warming gas found: plants CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 6 16-01-2006 00:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.