Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 09:09   #706

Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
For the first time in 26 years, here in New England all the ponds are still frozen over on April 1st.

Global warming?
Out West - we are having records highs. Ski hills closing early. Golf courses opening early. Alaska had to import snow for the Itidarod. March is supposed to be our snowiest month. We are currently snow free.

Warm weather.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:17   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Out West - we are having records highs. Ski hills closing early. Golf courses opening early. Alaska had to import snow for the Itidarod. March is supposed to be our snowiest month. We are currently snow free.

Warm weather.
Who would have thought the weather changes. How preposterous. People will now try and tell me that Greenland was once in fact a true green land with forests. How ridiculous to think that the weather changes. Let's stop all the weather changes now by taxing the Western countries. Makes sense to me especially since the Western countries produce less than 10% of global industrial output. But that isn't important. What is important is stopping Greenland reforestation again.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:56   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Who would have thought the weather changes. How preposterous. People will now try and tell me that Greenland was once in fact a true green land with forests. How ridiculous to think that the weather changes. Let's stop all the weather changes now by taxing the Western countries. Makes sense to me especially since the Western countries produce less than 10% of global industrial output. But that isn't important. What is important is stopping Greenland reforestation again.
Yes, Greenland was forested 500,000 years ago.

Fossil DNA Proves Greenland Once Had Lush Forests; Ice Sheet Is Surprisingly Stable -- ScienceDaily
Old 01-04-2015, 09:57   #709
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I Global Warming.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:18   #710
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:

Warm weather.
Didn't you say this is not about weather, it's about climate? Typical of the GWer's..... SPIN SPIN SPIN
Old 01-04-2015, 11:45   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Didn't you say this is not about weather, it's about climate? Typical of the GWer's..... SPIN SPIN SPIN
Did you read the post to which this was a response? It was about New England weather.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:52   #712

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
For most fruit and vegitables, the temperature needed is between 20-30C, with adequate water (preferably rain or with good oxygen in the water) sufficient light and most importantly great soil. The CO2 concentration can be quite high, really not sure the exact limit or if we will ever reach it. This isn't the direct problem. The problem is rainfall and temperature. When it's too hot and/or not enough water, plants die.

There are C3 and C4 plants. C4 plants are more efficient (evolved later in earth's history) and more adapted to lower CO2 levels. C4 plants include corn, and sugar.

C3 plants are less efficient at turning light into energy, but perhaps more viable in higher co2 environment, include rice, wheat and potatoes.
There's this other theory in addition to AGW you may of heard of called the "The theory of evolution" put forward by a guy call Charles Darwin a couple of centuries ago. Had this theory cast a pall upon the human race in such a manner as AGW we'd probably be here religiously arguing this theory as well. The way I see it, if the theory of runaway greenhouse MMGW proves correct, then the theory of evolution will hopefully prove just as correct and as that well known Doctor Ian Malcolm once "Life will find a way".

Quote:
Even at 80,000 years if antartica melted this would be extremely quick in geological time.

But, you aren't considering acceleration, because after all, we are at the tip of the ice berg, and really it looks more like a few hundred years not 80,000 which is incredibly fast.

It's a few decades at most, and really apologizing won't suffice; we require that you sacrifice your life, because, really you won't have a choice.
Slow down, take a deep breath and look back in time 80 000 years with reference to the climate. What do you notice?
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Slow down, take a deep breath and look back in time 80 000 years with reference to the climate. What do you notice?
Let's go back to a time when CO2 levels were this high - 3,500,000 years. What do you notice?

The Last Time Atmospheric CO2 was at 400 parts per million Humans Didn’t Exist – Significant Figures by Peter Gleick
Old 01-04-2015, 11:59   #714

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Watched a TV clip of Maldives under threat of rising sea levels. They used a resort that had been built out of lagoon on a coral cay that had slipped into the sea as an example of why they wanted payments to cover damage and to possibly migrate to Australia.

Bit like the Gold Coast wondering why they get coastal erosion every time they get coastal storms. Well if you build on frontal dunes expect it.

Like coral cays they build up and wash away in storms. Building on frontal dumes and coral cays expect erosion. Its natural not climate change.
Aaaahhh the Maldives !

Remember this little stunt? Apparently the place is sinking so send money quick !
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...t-meeting.html

But, but . . . . . . in the words of the great prophet " FOLLOW THE MONEY ". Over in the Maldives they are building 14 new resorts and 4 new airports. Wait a minute, weren't they sinking ? Didn't they want donations ? Weren't they going to be evacuated ? You bet, or so they said.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...ater-airports/

So much for the evacuation. So much for all those donations sent by the suckers. So much for global warming.

Fools all !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen%20Shot%202012-01-25%20at%2012_37_46%20PM.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	99837
Old 01-04-2015, 12:00   #715

Quote:
The way I see it, if the theory of runaway greenhouse MMGW proves correct, then the theory of evolution will hopefully prove just as correct and as that well known Doctor Ian Malcolm once "Life will find a way".
Or we become extinct as happened to many species during the PETM, which was much slower event.

PETM: Global Warming, Naturally | Weather Underground

We would be the first species responsible for its own extinction.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:06   #716

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
You don't need any help for that, you seem perfectly capable of achieving that all on your own
To be fair, I asked you at least twice for you take / opinion / interpretation / analysis which was nothing more or less than you asked of me.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:07   #717

Quote:
Or we become extinct as happened to many species during the PETM, which was much slower event.

You know who Dr Malcolm is, right?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09   #718

Quote:
You know who Dr Malcolm is, right?
I prefer my scientists to be non-fiction.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:11   #719

Quote:
I prefer my scientists to be non-fiction.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:22   #720

Quote:

I respect the stuff you post Jackdale because unlike some others (and they know who they are) you put thought into it. Even so, you can't have it both ways. You quote a recent geological "global warming" that obviously had no human influence. The numbers also don't add up. That shrine of pro-AGW sites skepticalscience.com lists the proportions of current human CO2 emissions versus natural emissions as 29 gigatons for "us" and 750 gigatons for "them" (aka natural causes) (https://www.skepticalscience.com/hum...-emissions.htm). Besides these values having absolutely no correlation whatsoever that I can see with the chart you posted, all you are essentially proving is that natural emmissions are way higher than 56 million years ago.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water