Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 06:17   #616
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Why are you putting "cite" in quotes?
Because it was not what I had done:

cite (saɪt)
vb (tr)
1. to quote or refer to (a passage, book, or author) in substantiation as an authority, proof, or example
2. (Military) to mention or commend (a soldier, etc) for outstanding bravery or meritorious action
3. (Law) to summon to appear before a court of law
4. to enumerate: he cited the king's virtues.
[C15: from Old French citer to summon, from Latin citāre to rouse, from citus quick, from ciēre to excite]
ˈcitable ˈciteable adj ˈciter n

I'd asked for an opinion, which is not citing.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is online now  
Old 28-03-2015, 07:57   #617
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Because it was not what I had done:

cite (saɪt)
vb (tr)
1. to quote or refer to (a passage, book, or author) in substantiation as an authority, proof, or example
2. (Military) to mention or commend (a soldier, etc) for outstanding bravery or meritorious action
3. (Law) to summon to appear before a court of law
4. to enumerate: he cited the king's virtues.
[C15: from Old French citer to summon, from Latin citāre to rouse, from citus quick, from ciēre to excite]
ˈcitable ˈciteable adj ˈciter n

I'd asked for an opinion, which is not citing.
Well then, I see the "point" you're trying to make, but there's no need to put it in "quotes."

Perhaps you weren't the one who cited the petition -- but others have, here.
__________________

__________________
sneuman is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 11:44   #618
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Well then, I see the "point" you're trying to make, but there's no need to put it in "quotes."

Perhaps you weren't the one who cited the petition -- but others have, here.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 11:49   #619
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
__________________
sneuman is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 11:52   #620
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,826
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Whaddya know?

A bit of non bias !!

__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 12:09   #621
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Whaddya know?

A bit of non bias !!

The UN Panel reviewer mentioned in that video:

Most Credible Climate Skeptic Not So Credible After All | Mother Jones
"[Dr. Patrick J.] Michaels' credibility on climate is called into question by a trove of documents from a 2007 court case that attracted almost no scrutiny at the time. Those documents show that Michaels has financial ties to big energy interests—ties that he's worked hard to keep secret."

Another of the three names, Dr. Richard Lindzen apparently taking money from the Koch-funded Heartland Institute: https://www.heartland.org/richard-lindzen
__________________
sneuman is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 12:30   #622
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,826
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

sneuman,

Did you even bother to watch it or do you follow the obama model?

"I don't know all the facts, but the police acted stupidly..."

__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 12:41   #623
Senior Cruiser
 
sneuman's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Jamaica
Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Posts: 3,167
Images: 37
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
sneuman,

Did you even bother to watch it or do you follow the obama model?

"I don't know all the facts, but the police acted stupidly..."

Yes, I watched it. Hence the reason I knew the names being cited.
__________________
sneuman is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 13:00   #624
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,826
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

How about discussing the facts presented instead of who made it?
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 13:17   #625
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably in an anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,537
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
How about discussing the facts presented instead of who made it?
Others have done that already.

__________________
conachair is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 15:05   #626
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Whaddya know?

A bit of non bias !!

Very entertaining until you start putting brain into gear and check not just some things he says but many things he says. As others have already posted some of the rebuffs, I won't bother.

But 48 pages.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 15:27   #627
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
The UN Panel reviewer mentioned in that video:

Most Credible Climate Skeptic Not So Credible After All | Mother Jones
"[Dr. Patrick J.] Michaels' credibility on climate is called into question by a trove of documents from a 2007 court case that attracted almost no scrutiny at the time. Those documents show that Michaels has financial ties to big energy interests—ties that he's worked hard to keep secret."

Another of the three names, Dr. Richard Lindzen apparently taking money from the Koch-funded Heartland Institute: https://www.heartland.org/richard-lindzen
Typical response from a true believer, don't refute the facts, attack the person. I guess we should not believe the mythical 97% of supposed climate change believers because they get their money from lily white sources like Tom Steyr, George Soros, government grants and other tainted non profits.

Yes climate change is true, it may be sunny, it may rain tomorrow, there will be droughts and rainy periods, storms will happen, nice weather may prevail. The environment is in a constant state of flux and has been for a few billion years. That is except here in Hawaii where it's just another lousy day in paradise every day. I remember back in the '80s when global warming was the new delusion, the Seattle paper posted what the City would like in 40 years with the rise of the waters from melting ice caps. Strange, the sea level today is virtually unchanged from what it was then. It's the conceit of man that we assume the conditions today are what they have been and always will be and that we are causing any change.

That's not to say that we shouldn't waste things. Just that our efforts to stop certain 'pollutants' should be in line with our ability to change things. By the way that's virtually nil without a major die off and even then, would have very little effect. If you serious believe that CO2 is a dire threat then you should be offering your home to the nuclear industry so they can build a power plant there. Nuclear is the only viable non CO2 producing means to provide the energy that we need.
__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 15:40   #628
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Typical response from a true believer, don't refute the facts, attack the person. I guess we should not believe the mythical 97% of supposed climate change believers because they get their money from lily white sources like Tom Steyr, George Soros, government grants and other tainted non profits.

Yes climate change is true, it may be sunny, it may rain tomorrow, there will be droughts and rainy periods, storms will happen, nice weather may prevail. The environment is in a constant state of flux and has been for a few billion years. That is except here in Hawaii where it's just another lousy day in paradise every day. I remember back in the '80s when global warming was the new delusion, the Seattle paper posted what the City would like in 40 years with the rise of the waters from melting ice caps. Strange, the sea level today is virtually unchanged from what it was then. It's the conceit of man that we assume the conditions today are what they have been and always will be and that we are causing any change.

That's not to say that we shouldn't waste things. Just that our efforts to stop certain 'pollutants' should be in line with our ability to change things. By the way that's virtually nil without a major die off and even then, would have very little effect. If you serious believe that CO2 is a dire threat then you should be offering your home to the nuclear industry so they can build a power plant there. Nuclear is the only viable non CO2 producing means to provide the energy that we need.
It's also a typical response from a 'true denier' to take aim at those raising the credentials of the supposed scientists. When it comes to something so complex as 'climate' then 'credentials and credibility' are exceptionally important. In fact 'credentials and credibility' are exceptionally important with any science, which is why Creationists are mocked so strongly. No 'cred'.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 29-03-2015, 16:13   #629
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,735
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

The mantra is attack the denier, or prattle on about 97% consensus. It's in the alarmist's playbook. On the latter, if you can't trust the Wall Street Journal, who can you trust?
Joseph Bast and Roy Spencer: The Myth of the Climate Change '97%' - WSJ

But it's understandable. When, after a quarter of a century, the IPCC still cannot declare that MMGW is an absolute certainty, what else is there?

More "propoganda":


And I'm pretty sure I've been channelling this guy:


My conclusion that is that if you want the truth on climate change the best guy to ask is either a geologist or a paleontologist. For proof, I offer the City of Venice. Forget sinking islands. This is one place with a long recorded history and is very susceptible to sea level rise. I figured that if sea level was rising 10 feet per century, this is the first place it would devastate.

Venice Is Slowly Sinking | Venice Sea Level Rise & Flooding

Returning to the lion's den

Check out this IPCC video:



Notice what is NOT said, not what is said.
Notice when you stop it at the 2:01 minute mark (but be quick although if not just check out below) do you notice something odd? Hint: Which line leads the other (yellow is temp)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipcc-graph.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	99680  
__________________
Reefmagnet is online now  
Old 29-03-2015, 21:14   #630
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It's also a typical response from a 'true denier' to take aim at those raising the credentials of the supposed scientists. When it comes to something so complex as 'climate' then 'credentials and credibility' are exceptionally important. In fact 'credentials and credibility' are exceptionally important with any science, which is why Creationists are mocked so strongly. No 'cred'.
You say credentials are important but all you do is condemn by association. Just because someone is funded by an organization does not make their findings wrong. You attack their source of income but not their science.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts: Global warming behind 2005 hurricanes CaptainK Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 25-04-2006 22:42
Scientists blame sun for global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 17 17-04-2006 11:25
Public service ads aim to raise awareness about global warming CaptainK Polar Regions 11 26-03-2006 13:52
Pacific islanders move to escape global warming CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 36 17-01-2006 00:30
New source of global warming gas found: plants CaptainK Pacific & South China Sea 6 16-01-2006 00:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.