Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2015, 09:24   #541
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Then of course, there is the other end:
Bearing in mind the other end is a continent, with sea ice extent not being proportional to ice volume the way it is in the arctic. Ice volume is being lost there as well.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:48   #542

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You live in one of the few places on the planet that is cold.

Maps of this type have been around for some time and have been discredited as fake. The basic idea is that if a map shows massive temperature rises in Siberia then you know it is based on fake raw data. The warmistas choose to lie about Siberia because
- it is huge so a big slab of the earth gets covered
- very little is know about Siberia generally
- the Russians tend to keep to themselves so are unlikely to respond
- the place is both big and hard to get to so anyone wishing to verify needs both plenty of money and plenty of time

The Russians did complain about the lies being told but the subservient media gave it little mention.
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/BOMBSHELL.pdf
University of East Anglia = Phil Jones' gang of snake oil purveyors
Snake oil Phil verifies his suppression of the truth in one of his many published emails to Michael Mann

" Recently rejected two papers (one for JGR and for GRL) from people saying CRU has it wrong over Siberia. Went to town in both reviews, hopefully successfully.If either appears I will be very surprised, but you never know with GRL. "

Was it just Siberia? Hell no. Here is how they faked the data in South America.
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...south-america/
Here is how they faked the data in New Zealand
https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.word...n-new-zealand/
Here is how they faked the data in Melbourne
Melbourne heat — BoM makes mystery corrections, but misses new skyscrapers. Incompetence? « JoNova
Here is how they faked the data in Darwin
The Smoking Gun At Darwin Zero | Watts Up With That?

It's time for all you poor deluded snake oil buyers to man up, admit that you have been flim flammed and be like Socrates - question everything.

Don't forget that snake oil Phil himself, the high priest of the warmistas, admitted in an interview with the BBC in February 2010 that there had been no statistically significant rise in global temperatures since 1995.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:53   #543

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Boiled down to the basics, all you have to do is FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Just one example:
Algore got filthy rich with his scam.

Back in the '70's all the alarmists said "Massive Global Cooling".
The answer was to institute sweeping governmental control over all of the energy sector with massive taxes on fuels etc.

After that scheme failed, now they're trying the same thing with "global warming".
The answer?
Institute sweeping governmental control over all of the energy sector with massive taxes on fuels etc.

Anybody out there with half a brain can see through this.

Ayn Rand
Old 26-03-2015, 13:07   #544

Boat: Able 50

A little global warming trivia.

The Chicago Climate Exchange was a total financial disaster which never made a dime. Even so the players were not obliged to repay a single dollar of their unspent Joyce Foundation grant. Goldman Sachs walked away with around $20 million. Al Gore walked away with around $3 million.

Who signed off on all this generosity ? Barack Obama.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:24   #545

Ted Cruz can see through it:

Ayn Rand
Old 26-03-2015, 13:47   #546
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

And, just today:

Antarctica is rapidly losing its edge | Science/AAAS | News
Old 26-03-2015, 13:51   #547
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Cruz has the worst fact-check record of any politician, save perhaps Michele Bachman:

Ted Cruz’s absurd anti-science logic: “Global warming alarmists are the equivalent of flat-earthers” - Salon.com

Study debunks 'global cooling' concern of '70s - USATODAY.com
Ted Cruz’s claim that there has been ‘zero’ global warming in 17 years - The Washington Post

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...cruz/70367864/
Old 26-03-2015, 14:15   #548

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
And

News Story - New research shows volume loss from Antarctic ice shelves is accelerating - British Antarctic Survey
Old 26-03-2015, 14:21   #549
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

With the Chinese finally admitting the problem, and the Pacific Islanders crying foul, it's obviously a conspiracy of global proportions!
Old 26-03-2015, 15:33   #550

Quote:
Global cooling

A few climate scientists have now scanned through the research literature of the time. For 1965 to 1979, they found seven articles that predicted cooling, 44 that predicted warming and 20 that were neutral. The results are being published in the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society.

http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/131047.pdf

+++++++++++++++

Global warming / climate change

You been Luntzed, over and over and over (Sort of rhymes with "dunced")

Frank Luntz Memorandum to Bush White House, 2002

"A compelling story, even if factually inaccurate, can be more emotionally compelling than a dry recitation of the truth."

"As with those other issues, the first (and most important) step to neutralizing the problem and eventually bringing people around to your point of view on environmental issues is to convince them of your sincerity and concern." Once you can fake sincerity, you have it in the bag.

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly. Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate, and defer to scientists and other experts in the field."

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science."

" It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming

1. “Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming.” As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge. "

“Straight Talk” Memorandum written by GOP consultant Frank Luntz [ he who invented The Contract With America in 1994]. The Memo’s ideas have apparently been utilized by Republican congressional and executive leaders since approximately the end of 2002. These pages 131-146constitute the wide-ranging memorandum’s section on environment."

https://www2.bc.edu/~plater/Newpubli...pmats/02.6.pdf

The IPCC has been around since 1988 - care to guess what the CC stands for.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

From the RSS - the satellite data to which Cruz refers.

The Recent Slowing in the Rise of Global Temperatures

Authors:
Carl Mears
Date Added:
Monday, September 22, 2014

Recently, a number of articles in the mainstream press have pointed out that there appears to have been little or no change in globally averaged temperature over the last two decades. Because of this, we are getting a lot of questions along the lines of “I saw this plot on a denialist web site. Is this really your data?” While some of these reports have “cherry-picked” their end points to make their evidence seem even stronger, there is not much doubt that the rate of warming since the late 1990’s is less than that predicted by most of the IPCC AR5 simulations of historical climate. This can be seen in the RSS data, as well as most other temperature datasets. For example, the figure below is a plot of the temperature anomaly (departure from normal) of the lower troposphere over the past 35 years from the RSS “Temperature Lower Troposphere” (TLT) dataset. For this plot we have averaged over almost the entire globe, from 80S to 80N, and used the entire TLT dataset, starting from 1979. (The denialists really like to fit trends starting in 1997, so that the huge 1997-98 ENSO event is at the start of their time series, resulting in a linear fit with the smallest possible slope.)

The Recent Slowing in the Rise of Global Temperatures | Remote Sensing Systems

+++++++++++++++++

Galileo was persecuted for a heliocentric universe, not a spherical earth. Science has known that the earth is sphere since at least the 3rd century BC when Eratosthenes calculated its circumference.

+++++++++++++

His last comments are alarmist.
Old 26-03-2015, 15:45   #551

Leftie globull warming enthusiast sources.

Ayn Rand
Old 26-03-2015, 16:02   #552

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Unfortunately "Wolf" has been cried too many times by pro AGW.

For Jackdale and Sneuman and other pro-AGW advocates

What's your take an an articles like these? Do you think they're designed to sensationalize or to disseminate accurate and unbiased information to the man in the street?

Sea level rise over past century unmatched in 6,000 years, says study | Environment | The Guardian

10 Feet of Global Sea Level Rise Is Now Guaranteed | Motherboard

World on course for catastrophic 6° rise, reveal scientists - Climate Change - Environment - The Independent

The problem is, in the sample above (and there have been thousands and thousands of similar articles written) are for the most part technically correct. Climate scientists have published papers claiming 2.4 metre sea level rises and 6 degree warming as possibilities.

How about this example to explain lack of predicted warming over the past 18 years. Agree with it?:
Montreal Protocol climate change: Decrease in ozone-depleting CFCs minimized warming.

Do you think this article should be accepted as fact?:
Tuvalu: Flooding, Global Warming, and Media Coverage - climate change, sea levels, coral reefs, sea erosion, Ellice Islands

When headlines sprout "2014 hottest year on record", do you accept that without question?
Nasa climate scientists: We said 2014 was the warmest but we're only 38% sure | Daily Mail Online

Does it concern you that even a "simple high school experiment" for an Al Gore AGW propoganda videa was faked?:
Al Gore and Bill Nye FAIL at doing a simple CO2 experiment | Watts Up With That?

And lastly, what's your opinion of this:
Global Warming Petition Project

I know I've started sounding like a denier, which I'm not. I've stated previously that I believe the Earth is warming and that mankind may even be contributing. What I am prepared to deny is if it is 1) actually a problem and 2) fixable if it is. Consumer driven waste and pollution is a problem, but AGW causes the focus to shift to sinking island and shrinking ice sheets instead of concentrating on the root causes and tries to convince everyone that what's happening is both starting from a static climate baseline and changes are unprecedented compared to any other time in the planet's history.
Old 26-03-2015, 16:22   #553

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Global cooling

<snip>

From the RSS - the satellite data to which Cruz refers.

The Recent Slowing in the Rise of Global Temperatures

Authors:
Carl Mears
Date Added:
Monday, September 22, 2014

Recently, a number of articles in the mainstream press have pointed out that there appears to have been little or no change in globally averaged temperature over the last two decades. Because of this, we are getting a lot of questions along the lines of “I saw this plot on a denialist web site. Is this really your data?” While some of these reports have “cherry-picked” their end points to make their evidence seem even stronger, there is not much doubt that the rate of warming since the late 1990’s is less than that predicted by most of the IPCC AR5 simulations of historical climate. This can be seen in the RSS data, as well as most other temperature datasets. For example, the figure below is a plot of the temperature anomaly (departure from normal) of the lower troposphere over the past 35 years from the RSS “Temperature Lower Troposphere” (TLT) dataset. For this plot we have averaged over almost the entire globe, from 80S to 80N, and used the entire TLT dataset, starting from 1979. (The denialists really like to fit trends starting in 1997, so that the huge 1997-98 ENSO event is at the start of their time series, resulting in a linear fit with the smallest possible slope.)

The Recent Slowing in the Rise of Global Temperatures | Remote Sensing Systems

+++++++++++++++++

Galileo was persecuted for a heliocentric universe, not a spherical earth. Science has known that the earth is sphere since at least the 3rd century BC when Eratosthenes calculated its circumference.

+++++++++++++

His last comments are alarmist.
"Alarmists" theories on "The Pause" don't need any "denialist" to throw a spanner in the works. They've done a reasonable job of that themselves.

List of excuses for ‘The Pause’ in global warming | Watts Up With That?

Since I see "1997" bolded up there, here is another "don't believe what you observe, believe what we tell you" pro AGW article as well:

RealClimate: Global Warming Since 1997 Underestimated by Half

Judith Curry (whom you seem to actually have some respect for) shot this theory to pieces:
Curry on the Cowtan & Way ‘pausebuster': ‘Is there anything useful [in it]?” | Watts Up With That?

And finally, another scientific view that says otherwise:
THE HOCKEY SCHTICK: New paper finds climate models have greatly exaggerated warming & finds no statistically-significant warming for past 20 years
Old 26-03-2015, 16:34   #554

Quote:
Boiled down to the basics, all you have to do is FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Just one example:
Algore got filthy rich with his scam.

Anybody out there with half a brain can see through this.

Al Gore started well-off, got rich from investments, working for Google pre-IPO and getting Google stock options, sitting on Apple's board, some nice business deals, and from being Vice President for 8 years, after which you can get fat engagement fees for speaking about... anything.

Maybe you can use your clearly superior whole brain to look stuff up.

[yes I broke my promise, sorry, but c'mon Steve it's embarrassing]
Old 26-03-2015, 16:48   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Judith Curry (whom you seem to actually have some respect for) shot this theory to pieces:
Curry on the Cowtan & Way ‘pausebuster': ‘Is there anything useful [in it]?” | Watts Up With That?
I do respect Curry, but I not respect folks like Watts who quote mine.

Read the actual Curry blog and pay particular attention to the contributions to the discussions by Cowtan and Way.

Uncertainty in SST measurements and data sets | Climate Etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water