Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 13:13   #421

Boat: Columbia 24
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

The big buffoon's precise words in an interview with Wolf Blitzer were "I took the initiative to create the internet". The best defense his supporters can come up with is to say that he didn't really know what he was talking about...which is true of course.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-03-2015, 13:15   #422
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Maybe he created the Carbon Credit Scam also.....
Translation: Sure I lied.

Look! Over there!
Old 24-03-2015, 13:15   #423
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
The big buffoon's precise words in an interview with Wolf Blitzer were "I took the initiative to create the internet". The best defense his supporters can come up with is to say that he didn't really know what he was talking about...which is true of course.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You're wrong. Time to move on.
Old 24-03-2015, 13:26   #424

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
No, he ACTUALLY did sponsor legislation that turned the military ARPANET into a publicly accessible Internet. See: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...internet/?_r=0

So, it was perfectly accurate for him to say that he "took the initiative" to "create" the Internet. That's the point. By taking his remarks out of context and then noodling them to "I invented the Internet," right-wingers who didn't like him anyway have simply been telling an untruth.

This is not difficult to check ... IF you want truth.
There's no question what the truth is. But the point is that Al Gore was trying to leave the impression that he was more than just instrumental in setting the internet free from its government beginnings, he was saying he "created" it means quite a different thing to most people. If he had said that he sponsored a bill that untethered the early internet from the government and was proud that, none of us would have ever heard of it, but he was trying to leave the impression that HE did it all himself so he'd seem more important and it's only human nature to want to put self important people who seem to exaggerate their own accomplishments back in their place.

This urban legend has legs because the man has a habit of projecting a very self important attitude and taking himself WAY too seriously! So, whether you or he like it or not, he'll always be remembered as the empty suit who was so full of himself that he falsely claimed he invented the Internet. That's just the way it is....
Old 24-03-2015, 13:28   #425
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
Of course there's no reason to suspect the validity of the data. I mean, it's not like the government would lie, falsify, tamper with or change the data to support their agenda -

Oh, wait. Never mind.
Translation: I got nothin'
It's a conspiracy!
Old 24-03-2015, 13:33   #426
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
There's no question what the truth is. But the point is that Al Gore was trying to leave the impression that he was more than just instrumental in setting the internet free from its government beginnings, he was saying he "created" it means quite a different thing to most people. If he had said that he sponsored a bill that untethered the early internet from the government and was proud that, none of us would have ever heard of it, but he was trying to leave the impression that HE did it all himself so he'd seem more important and it's only human nature to want to put self important people who seem to exaggerate their own accomplishments back in their place.

This urban legend has legs because the man has a habit of projecting a very self important attitude and taking himself WAY too seriously! So, whether you or he like it or not, he'll always be remembered as the empty suit who was so full of himself that he falsely claimed he invented the Internet. That's just the way it is....
No, the urban legend has legs because people purposely took it out of context. And then distorted it as icing on the cake.

He said he "took the initiative in creating the Internet"

Now, if he'd said "I took the initiative in creating I-69" or "I took the initiative in creating the Space Shuttle" -- NO ONE would have interpreted that as "I personally built I-69. My bare hands. All by myself" or "I am the guy with spanner and rivet gun who built that spaceship."

They would have understood that, as a politician, "initiative" is short hand for legislation and that by "taking the initiative" he probably sponsored legislation that caused I-69 or the Space Shuttle to be built.

It's simply dishonest to suggest otherwise.

Get it?
Old 24-03-2015, 13:50   #427
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ahhhh...sorry Dave, that's not now a Representative Democracy works my friend. If you can't convince the Voters, then it what you think and believe frankly doesn't matter from a public policy standpoint. See in a Representative Democracy the smarter than us folks don't get to make laws that govern and control us. Oh, I know this irritates those like Obama who just goes around the laws, but if you want a solution to what you believe is MMGW...then my friend, you had better start treating us dumb voters with a little more respect because without us...nothing is going to happen! We don't live in a Dictatorship....well yet anyway....
Translation: Losing argument ... must unholster ad populum attack.

When the facts don't comport with my position, simply remind everyone that it doesn't matter -- more people agree with my incorrect position than with your correct one.

Nah, nah, nah.
Old 24-03-2015, 13:54   #428
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Translation: Losing argument ... must unholster ad hominem attack. Time for my patent "this is how democracy works" gambit.
sure...explaining how our system of Government works is now an attack...ha ha ha...I love you, laugh at you, but love you.

Hey....if you believe in MMGW get some Congressmen, Senators, and a President elected that shares your views, or you know what....batshit crazy ol tea party me wins...I know that frosts you to no end. But amigo...it's how our system works
Old 24-03-2015, 13:55   #429
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
sure...explaining how our system of Government works is now an attack...ha ha ha...I love you, laugh at you, but love you.

Hey....if you believe in MMGW get some Congressmen, Senators, and a President elected that shares your views, or you know what....batshit crazy ol tea party me wins...I know that frosts you to no end. But amigo...it's how our system works
Keep going. You're proving my point beautifully ...
Old 24-03-2015, 13:57   #430
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Keep going. You're proving my point beautifully ...
Booooo

how's that US House looking to you these days.....ah ah ah a
I see a snow balls chance (oh look a Global warming pun) of any MMGW legislation passing, so get busy...get out there and pound the pavement, me I'll sit here and relax.....and have a blast dangling some bait for ya.
Old 24-03-2015, 14:07   #431
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Actually, I have studied more "maths" than is necessary to study almost anything. But unfortunately, there's a LOT more to this than merely understanding advanced math so that's not much help.

It's funny that you admit that the models are being debated for accuracy, which is about the same as admitting that thus far they haven't been accurate at all. And yet, you remain confident that what they incorrectly predicted in the past is somehow true? I suppose that your wish is bound to come true eventually because even a broken clock is right twice a day so many someday the IPCC will make a prediction that turns out to be spot on, but I'm not holding my breath.

As you say, the raw data isn't available to ordinary people, so do you include yourself in that or are you a noted climate scientist? If you're not, then where did YOU get YOUR simplistic views, a LEFT wing blog? BTW, I couldn't tell you a single "right wing blog" and to my knowledge I have never logged on to one. I'm also not a climate scientist but I do have a degree in engineering so I think I'm more capable than most journalists or politicians in seeing through bogus claims and making up my own mind about pseudo-scientific claims, no matter how well publicized they may be. .
No model is 100% accurate. It doesn't mean they aren't useful. We use them every day because they work, even with the inaccuracies, on everything from weather forecasting to determining the yields on nuclear weapons.

And, in this case (as already stated), the models simply show a range of outcomes for increases in CO2 emissions. To the best of my knowledge, none of them suggest that those emissions won't increase the rate of climatic change. Have you found any that do?
Old 24-03-2015, 14:38   #432
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Gentlemen, This thread is turning into a politics discussion and not a sailing discussion. I'm pretty sure neither group will change the others thinking.

I strongly suggest that you bring this thread back to a sailing discussion.
Old 24-03-2015, 14:39   #433

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I make no comments as to what governments or the electorate DO as a result of scientific information. The evidence of the ill effects of smoking have been settled for 20 years, yet we still see reluctance to control it.

Climate change is a serious scientific study, one that has many many academics and respected institutions involved.

The ordinary Joe Public simply get mislead by headlines,.

Consider a few posts ago, This link was posted in an attempt to debunk warming Antarctic Sea Ice Reaches New Record Maximum | NASA

possibly because of its title.

However if you read the article , you will come across this statement

"“The planet as a whole is doing what was expected in terms of warming. Sea ice as a whole is decreasing as expected, but just like with global warming, not every location with sea ice will have a downward trend in ice extent,” Parkinson said"

from ". Claire Parkinson, a senior scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center"

its not a case of what you " believe", its a case of what the science says. As to what societies and their voters do about it , thats entirely different, Most communities dont act till the water comes in the front door anyway.
in amongst all the humour, there is a serious sensible post.
Old 24-03-2015, 14:43   #434

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
He did not make that claim. You have been suckered.
Big Al Gore fan ehh?
Old 24-03-2015, 14:46   #435

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Gentlemen, This thread is turning into a politics discussion and not a sailing discussion. I'm pretty sure neither group will change the others thinking.

I strongly suggest that you bring this thread back to a sailing discussion.
Well as a catamaran owner who has a Manson Supreme and Bruce mounted on my forward cross arm and always carries an AR and an S&W40, not to mention a pellet gun to chase off seagulls trying to leave their last digested meal on my topsides, I will not be going to the polar regions no matter how much they are opened up.

But I am going to watch my pirated copy of Waterworld tonight as it is the best comedy boating movie I know of. It is even funnier than Capt. Ron and that is saying a lot.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water