Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 21:27   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

So tcpip95 where did you come from? Exon? Why not just jump right into controversy and panic right along with savoir?
Old 19-03-2015, 21:35   #17

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
... No matter if it's too hot, too cold, drought, flood or tempest it's that darn global warming's fault. Apparently the natural climate, unlike the weather, must be static and never change.
There is a reason why the scientists don't refer to the climate change as "global warming".

The problem is actually increased energy in the atmosphere, which manifests itself as extreme weather events (like too hot, too cold, drought, flood or tempest).
Old 19-03-2015, 21:41   #18

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'm surprised that Global Warming hasn't been blamed on El Nino. What happened to the yearly El Nino panic? Oh, wait, it's been replaced by the "Climate Change" panic now in vogue, and was preceded by the "Hole in the Ozone Layer" fiasco. I can't believe how many people keep falling for the agenda-riddled panic-du-jour. Perhaps, like natural climate cycles, these environmentalist panic cycles will repeat themselves naturally and we can have a good old El Nino and hole-in-the-ozone-layer emergency again.
"panic-du-jour"? "Hole in the Ozone Layer fiasco"? Sure there have been questions about some unexplained phenomena in the past. But we know much more about the natural environment now then we ever did in the past.

Have a look at the historic records of CO2 levels. And then understand the impact of CO2 on the energy balance of the atmosphere. There is the reason for climate change.

And if OO2 hole was a fiasco, how did they understand the problem and come to fix the cause of it?
Old 19-03-2015, 21:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So tcpip95 where did you come from? Exon? Why not just jump right into controversy and panic right along with savoir?
Hello Mr. deepFrz.

I'm not sure I understand your question. I don't know where Exon is. I live in Florida. Is Exon nearby?

What is the panic you are referring to?
Old 19-03-2015, 21:57   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-bee View Post
There is a reason why the scientists don't refer to the climate change as "global warming".
Yes there is. It's called "hedging your bets" or, to be less eloquent, "covering your ass".
Old 19-03-2015, 22:17   #21
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Wow, are there really people who still doubt climate change?

Unbelievable
Old 19-03-2015, 22:30   #22

I have it on good government statistical data that it's Bush's fault.

Unbelievable.
Old 19-03-2015, 22:41   #23
cruiser

I was always more of a UDP fan...
Old 19-03-2015, 22:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I was always more of a UDP fan...
<SYN ACK>
Old 19-03-2015, 22:59   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
<SYN ACK>
ACK

FIN

Old 19-03-2015, 23:01   #26

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:

Unbelievable
Yeah, it's kinda hard to believe; sad but true.

They have some good company though:

The Flat Earth Society

From their home page.

Welcome to the Flat Earth Wiki, otherwise known as The FEW. This website is dedicated to unraveling the true mysteries of the universe and demonstrating that the earth is flat and that Round Earth doctrine is little more than an elaborate hoax.

And the faked moon landings:

Was The Apollo Moon Landing Fake?

And of course the young earth crowd:

Main Creation Science Web Links - Large Web Sites

Good for mild amusement, but when these type groups start influencing, or worse, making policy decisions that affect the world...
Old 19-03-2015, 23:11   #27

Quote:

Unbelievable

Personally, I don't doubt climate change at all. In fact I'm going to put it right out there and state that, in my opinion, the Earth's climate's been changing for 4 billion years or so.

I even reckon that humans may even be responsible for some of it.

However, bleating on and on and on and on about it and blaming all negative impacting weather and geological events on it whilst offering no real solutions except for returning to the stone age is just silly. If we really want to make some effort to save the planet perhaps we should make cell phones that last 10 years - not two, and stop selling fruit and vegetables in ridiculous amounts of styrofoam packaging.
Old 19-03-2015, 23:40   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Personally, I don't doubt climate change at all. In fact I'm going to put it right out there and state that, in my opinion, the Earth's climate's been changing for 4 billion years or so.

I even reckon that humans may even be responsible for some of it.

However, bleating on and on and on and on about it and blaming all negative impacting weather and geological events on it whilst offering no real solutions except for returning to the stone age is just silly. If we really want to make some effort to save the planet perhaps we should make cell phones that last 10 years - not two, and stop selling fruit and vegetables in ridiculous amounts of styrofoam packaging.
Oh dear.

Raising awareness isn't silly, at all. If it changes peoples behaviours, especially our governments, it's a good thing. As an Aussie you'll know we have a climate change denier as a PM, recently brought to task on it by the US president...

I don't understand where your stone age argument comes from when there are many, new, technologies we could move to in order to get away from fossil fuels. And I agree with you on styrofoam, I wish the Govt would take some strong action on it. It appears the coalition won't because they're in bed with business.

Climate change is very real and I agree, we need to do a lot more to address it.
Old 20-03-2015, 00:17   #29

Quote:
Oh dear.

Raising awareness isn't silly, at all. If it changes peoples behaviours, especially our governments, it's a good thing. As an Aussie you'll know we have a climate change denier as a PM, recently brought to task on it by the US president...
One word: Kyoto.

Quote:
I don't understand where your stone age argument comes from when there are many, new, technologies we could move to in order to get away from fossil fuels
Such as....???

Quote:
And I agree with you on styrofoam, I wish the Govt would take some strong action on it. It appears the coalition won't because they're in bed with business.

Quote:
Climate change is very real and I agree, we need to do a lot more to address it.
Running around like Chicken Little declaring the sky is falling doesn't appear to be working imo. I'd say that a lot of the people in 2015 no longer care about AGW because they've become desensitized to the forecasts of doom and gloom that haven't come close to those predicted since 1998.

I'm a greenie at heart. Sold my V8 Jeep and brought a motor scooter for a daily run about and now drive a <5l per 100 k econobox when I need a car. I actually do care very much which is why things like stupid stories linking global warming for nothing other than the sake of an attention grabbing headline, along with the "tweaking" of data to obtain a desired result (remember Climategate?) is just plain dumb.
Old 20-03-2015, 00:30   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Such as....???
Like the entire renewable energy sector. Money should be going there instead of into fossil fuels, there's quite a bit of money invested fossil fuels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet
Running around like Chicken Little declaring the sky is falling doesn't appear to be working imo. I'd say that a lot of the people in 2015 no longer care about AGW because they've become desensitized to the forecasts of doom and gloom that haven't come close to those predicted since 1998.

I'm a greenie at heart. Sold my V8 Jeep and brought a motor scooter for a daily run about and now drive a <5l per 100 k econobox when I need a car. I actually do care very much which is why things like stupid stories linking global warming for nothing other than the sake of an attention grabbing headline, along with the "tweaking" of data to obtain a desired result (remember Climategate?) is just plain dumb.
Who's running around like chicken little? Saying that there needs to be a redirection of funds and some sensible government policy is far from that.

I'm not about drama or attention grabbing, I want some sensible and long reaching policy and economic changes that will make a real difference.

So you'll be voting green at the next federal election?
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water