Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 15:09   #1771

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We can't get to evaluating solutions when you lot won't acknowledge there's a problem.
C'mon, give it a try. Unless of course you have zip.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 15:13   #1772
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Here's the problem....
The MMGW Cultists have a Solution they just know when they speak it out loud we will all laugh at them and the public will write them off as Crazy. So rather then just scream the oceans are rising and want the rich countries to give money to the poor countries...you know...as Climate Reparations. As crazy as it sounds...its true.
That or they want to kill off humans to stop our growth...another crazy but true position of the MMGW cultists.
Old 02-05-2015, 16:05   #1773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
C'mon, give it a try. Unless of course you have zip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Here's the problem....
The MMGW Cultists have a Solution they just know when they speak it out loud we will all laugh at them and the public will write them off as Crazy. So rather then just scream the oceans are rising and want the rich countries to give money to the poor countries...you know...as Climate Reparations. As crazy as it sounds...its true.
That or they want to kill off humans to stop our growth...another crazy but true position of the MMGW cultists.
Sorry to disappoint.

Maybe one or both of you could tell us why taking the science seriously scares you so much.
Old 02-05-2015, 16:20   #1774
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

come on.....give it up....what's your solution.....
Old 02-05-2015, 16:29   #1775

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint.

Maybe one or both of you could tell us why taking the science seriously scares you so much.
Science doesn't scare me. It scares the alarmists. It doesn't scare me because the 4+ billion year history of the planet has demonstrated the climate regulates itself quite nicely for the most part within a roughly 10 degree Celsius range, of which we currently sit closer to the minima then the maxima. The catastrophic scenario propaganda ticks me off. Instead of the King Canut approach, let's try the time proven technique of adaptation if or when required. It just may work.

The thought of having to shovel snow off my pathway in order to leave my house scares me more.

Old 02-05-2015, 17:58   #1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Science doesn't scare me. It scares the alarmists. It doesn't scare me because the 4+ billion year history of the planet has demonstrated the climate regulates itself quite nicely for the most part within a roughly 10 degree Celsius range, of which we currently sit closer to the minima then the maxima. The catastrophic scenario propaganda ticks me off. Instead of the King Canut approach, let's try the time proven technique of adaptation if or when required. It just may work.

The thought of having to shovel snow off my pathway in order to leave my house scares me more.
Over the last 10,000 years, during which human civilization has developed, the average temperature has varied less than 1 degree C. In the last 200 years temperatures have spiked 0.8C, and are now above any temperatures of the last 10,000 years. Estimates are that we will go another 1C-3C if we double CO2 levels, which seems highly likely this century if we don't throttle back our use of fossil fuels. If you are saying that you think there will be no problems adapting if temperatures go up 10C you are a certified nut case. Many think that even +2C will be very hard to adapt to.

Old 02-05-2015, 18:26   #1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
come on.....give it up....what's your solution.....
Old 02-05-2015, 20:58   #1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Over the last 10,000 years, during which human civilization has developed, the average temperature has varied less than 1 degree C. In the last 200 years temperatures have spiked 0.8C, and are now above any temperatures of the last 10,000 years. Estimates are that we will go another 1C-3C if we double CO2 levels, which seems highly likely this century if we don't throttle back our use of fossil fuels. If you are saying that you think there will be no problems adapting if temperatures go up 10C you are a certified nut case. Many think that even +2C will be very hard to adapt to.

Well overdue for a change then. Too bad you seem to forget ice ages are an anomaly. You do recall the north American continent was settled thanks to the last ice age and lower sea level? Average global temperatures, even with less solar output, have been higher than today's more often then less.

I'm guessing the temperature were I live are possibly 10 degrees on average warmer than where most alarmists seem to live and all I can say is come on in the water's lovely. The turtles and crocodiles - those that have survived many extreme periods - seem to be doing just fine, too.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:31   #1779

Quote:
Your framing of the issue is a bit full of it

My answer would be that having benefited from unrestricted conquest and consumption, the leading nations have an obligation to maybe give a little back, in the form of taking the lead in developing energy alternatives and efficiencies that will permit developing countries to achieve their goals without making the same mess as we did. And maybe we should clean up our act a bit too.

The reality is that China and India aren't sitting around waiting for us to stop bickering and get on with it. China is installing coal emission scrubbers at a faster rate than the US. China's train technology and installed base already surpasses that of North America, and a couple of the bigger Chinese train corporations are currently in talks to buy the railroad division of a major North American manufacturer, to give them access to our market. The Chinese urban consumer is already beginning to be bored with the automobile. India will likewise surprise us.

By the way, considering how long a fiberglass boat lasts, I'd say it's a good use of petrochemicals. As opposed to simply burning oil as fast as possible in oversized vehicles.
What a shocker! In other words, some people get taxed, others in totalitarian countries will be forced to comply, but your lifestyle doesn't have to change. How very convenient for you. Other than that, you don't have a fricking clue, do you? The people who you get your data from, haven't filled you in on that little tidbit, have they?

Thanks for confirming what I had guessed.

And, yet, I bet you still wonder, why your arguments aren't moving anyone here.

Go ahead. Call me a denier, plant your flag, and declare victory.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31   #1780

More fatal earthquakes to come, warn geologists | Newsweek
Quote:
...a series of life-threatening "extreme geological events" – earthquakes, volcanoes and tsunamis – is predicted by a group of eminent geologists and geophysicists including University College London's Bill McGuire, professor emeritus of Geophysical and Climate Hazards....

Evidence from the end of the last Ice Age has already shown that the planet's uneasy web of seismic faults – cracks in the crust like the one that runs along the Himalayas – are very sensitive to the small pressure changes brought by change in the climate. And a sensitive volcano or seismic faultline is a very dangerous one.

The disappearing ice, sea-level rise and floods already forecast for the 21st century are inevitable as the earth warms and weather patterns change – and they will shift the weight on the planet. Professor McGuire calls this process "waking the giant" – something that can be done with just a few gigatonnes of water in the right – or wrong – place.

"These stress or strain variations – just the pressure of a handshake in geological terms – are perfectly capable of triggering a quake if that fault is ready to go," he tells Newsweek....

What neither Gandhi nor 1930s scientists knew [about Himalayan earthquakes] was that the rain that fills the huge rivers that rise in the Himalayas and run down to the Sea of Bengal is a crucial part of this process. Dr Pierre Bettinelli was the scientist who in 2007 first showed how this vast flush of rainwater, second only to that of the Amazon basin, affects earthquakes in the Himalayas. He spoke to Newsweek from a base in the Algerian desert where he is researching the effects of oil-well drilling – another man-made cause of earthquake.

"Imagine a piece of wood on water – that's the Indian plate – push down on it with your foot and you create compression, disturbance, in the water beside it. That you see in the increased number of seismic events at the edge of the plate."...

"Across the world," McGuire writes, "as sea levels climb remorselessly, the load-related bending of the crust around the margins of the ocean basins might – in time – act to sufficiently 'unclamp' coastal faults such as California's San Andreas, allowing them to move more easily; at the same time acting to squeeze magma out of susceptible volcanoes that are primed and ready to blow."

Of course, that may be some centuries or even millennia away. Even the worst-case scenarios predicted for the 21st century imagine sea-level rises of no more than five metres. But already McGuire and colleagues have seen the effects of quite small sea-level rise on one of Alaska's faults.

"There's a volcano in Alaska, Pavlov, that only erupts during the autumn and winter. The 10cm or 15cm rise in sea level during the winter months, when low pressure comes over, is enough to bend the crust and squeeze magma out. That's an example of how tiny a change you need," he said....
Old 03-05-2015, 05:54   #1781

Lol. You're definitely pisstaking!

Someone should tell this fine geology fellow that India is crashing into the Eurasian continent hence why the Himalayas exist as new and unweathered mountains, including Everest.

As I learnt in high school, continental drift and plate tectonics are the cause, not climate change. Sorry to disappoint.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:06   #1782

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

gee, Tis getting a little warm in the kitchen boys

Think you all need to tone it down a bit or someone's gonna say something they shouldn't.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:27   #1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
What a shocker! In other words, some people get taxed, others in totalitarian countries will be forced to comply, but your lifestyle doesn't have to change. How very convenient for you. Other than that, you don't have a fricking clue, do you? The people who you get your data from, haven't filled you in on that little tidbit, have they?

Thanks for confirming what I had guessed.

And, yet, I bet you still wonder, why your arguments aren't moving anyone here.

Go ahead. Call me a denier, plant your flag, and declare victory.
I don't know what to call you, other than self-absorbed. You didn't read or comprehend a thing I wrote in that post. And your understanding of China, our major trading partner, is a bit behind the times.
Old 03-05-2015, 15:40   #1784

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

What a twist. Minor variations in climate bringing on earthquakes and volcanic eruption.

Now that argument is just incredible scaremongering.

The results of the last ice age indicate to us how little we mere humans can do to ameoleriate climate variation. Trusting that to governments. What a joke.
Old 03-05-2015, 15:50   #1785

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
What a twist. Minor variations in climate bringing on earthquakes and volcanic eruption.

Now that argument is just incredible scaremongering.

Tell that to the innocent people in Nepal

The results of the last ice age indicate to us how little we mere humans can do to ameoleriate climate variation. Trusting that to governments. What a joke.
well, I share your lack of confidence, but if not 'governments' then who
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water