Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 06:28   #31

Boat: Boden Elizabeth
Re: Free Ebook 'Snow Petrel'

Hey Ben. This Great news. I picked up a copy of the book and the video when we were in Hobart at xmas from the Mawson museum. Great read and great vid. Cheers Andrew
Moonflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 14:26   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Moonflow, welcome aboard CF and perfect first post
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 21:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Hi Graeme, My brother owns her. She is back in tassie. Renamed Honu and painted green. She certainly is a simple, solid and dependable boat. I am glad you got a copy of the real book. Where abouts in NZ are you these days, might get over next year, hopefully be in Nelson at some point.

Cheers Ben
Hi Ben, thanks for the news on Honu, she has certainly had a few name changes now! I think that is number five or six. Good to know she is still in good hands.
Unfortunately we are not living in Nelson now, we are in Feilding, living away from the sea for the first time in our lives. We will be down in the South Island for two or three months from about feb. next year.
Cheers
Graeme
Gdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 22:52   #34

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

^^ Graeme, I'll give you a hoy if amd when we get over.

I was just down riding with my five year old and snapped this shot of 'Honu' ex 'Snow Petrel', ex 'Obsession ex Pearl (and maybe one other name?) on her mooring in Cornelian Bay.

By coincidence both my old boats are in that bay. My old 26 foot Warsash One Design that I sailed from NZ and lived on for many years, and Snow Petrel. It's nice seeing them.

I talked to my father, he is pretty happy with how it's going, I think he has given away 180 or so books to places all around the world and the interest has lifted the ranking on Kobo to near the top of its genre. Always good for an independent writer, and if you enjoyed it consider adding a short review. It all helps.

His other books are a series of childrens books along the lines of the Swallows and Amazons series. He is also organising a print on demand option for all his books. It will make the distribution much easier. At the moment postage and storage pretty much takes any profit from the hard copies.

He thinks there is 24 hours or so left on the promotion, and it sounds like the kindle version won't be reduced in price. He said to say thanks to those who bought it from kindle.

https://youtu.be/uJSpMtc8SrUClick image for larger version

Name:	20180909_140841.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	177058Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_163512~2.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	177059
Old 09-09-2018, 00:40   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Man, they sure do make it difficult to get if you don't have a Kobo! I'll keep playing around and see if I can get it to work without downloading another app.

Thanks,

Matt

Just install Kobo -- it's free and takes two seconds. You can delete the app after you read the book if you like.

I found on the contrary that the delivery of the book was excellent! Thanks, Ben!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:14   #36

Hi Ben, thanks for the link to the E book. I have just downloaded it, very easy to do. Also left a review.
Snowpetrels original name was Caleb.
Thanks for the photo.
Would be good to catch up if your over this way.
Gdog6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:29   #37

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

I was just down riding with my five year old and snapped this shot of 'Honu' ex 'Snow Petrel', ex 'Obsession ex Pearl (and maybe one other name?) on her mooring in Cornelian Bay.
]

Well, that tends to rule out the old “renaming your boat is an invitation to disaster” view.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, that tends to rule out the old “renaming your boat is an invitation to disaster” view.
http://www.boatnames.com.au/boat-nam...namingceremony

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...=1536490697803

It should be done very carefully!

Mind you I think I just slapped a sticker on her and called it done! But she did spend a few years nameless while I rebuilt her..
Old 09-09-2018, 05:56   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I was part of a renaming ceremony recently. It was good fun and well executed by the boat’s owner, much in line with your second link.

The only difficult part was that the owner had selected the local self confessed alcoholic to pour the champagne into the water and I’d swear I saw tears in his eyes as he did so.
Old 09-09-2018, 23:16   #40

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

That was quite the adventure, and what a wonderful family you have, Ben. Thanks for sharing.

I have a related technical question: Do you know of anyone who has plumbed an engine coolant loop into a water tank to prevent freezing? I guess a failure of the line would introduce antifreeze into the drinking water so perhaps a loop fixed to the outside wall of thank would be safer.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:58   #41

Thanks Steve. Glad you got a copy. By coincidence I was just watching your excellant restoration of Panope video's again, very inspiring, and I need a bit of inspiration at the moment.

On the water tank thing. I've been pondering it for a while as well. More for the thermal mass benefits. If the tanks are integral it's probably going to be hard to stop them freezing no mater what you do, unless you run some sort of heat regularly through them. Prehaps the heater core could be used to unfreeze them as you need water. With polypropylene glycol instead of etheylene glycol incase of a leak. A better way might be to take the tops off and use plastic containers, so if they freeze they can be thawed out inside the boat. Extra food could be added as well. As in conditions that cold fresh ice is normally easy enough to source and melt.

If the tanks are separate and insulated keeping them unfrozen should be pretty easy. The bigger issue might be overheating them and getting some nasty bacterial infections. Not sure if it's a big issue but it would need some study. In this case contact heating the tank would probably work fine and also heat the cabin when the engine is running. I'd also have a loop of cooling water that could be used to melt snow and ice in a bucket, and some sort of radiator and fan to blow warm air through the boat and dry clothing.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:12   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Re: melting fresh water....interesting idea I had not considered. We have a steel boat with integral tanks, essentially the keel is the tank. We have been froze in for short periods of time, but the ice was not very thick, a few inches. The surrounding water was warm enough, but only brackish, salt water might be different.

But my first thought is that if you are in cold enough conditions to freeze your keel tanks then I’m assuming there will be abundent outside snow and ice to make all the fresh water you need.

Thoughts?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:29   #43

^^ I guess it depends. Most likely since most multiyear ice is more fresh than salt, and if near the coast there should be plenty of snow if you can get ashore. though you still have to store it, so you would need some sort of warmed tankage. But it would be inportant to have enough capacity to tide you through a dry spell or multidays of bad weather, often with little snow. And on warm days you can often collect water that the sun has melted, so its handy to be able to store it.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:58   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I always keep a 5 gallon Jerry can of potable water separate from our main tanks, just in case. Even in the tropics.

Another perhaps crazy thought would be that even salt ice would work if run through a water maker. Any port in a storm.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:13   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I always keep a 5 gallon Jerry can of potable water separate from our main tanks, just in case. Even in the tropics.

Another perhaps crazy thought would be that even salt ice would work if run through a water maker. Any port in a storm.
Yeah, a watermaker works. We had a slightly modified spectra on the boat I ran in Antarctica. It worked fine. I think they just tweaked the presures or something due to the colder water?