Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 09:27   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45
Re: Boat for polar cruising

I remember your constant stream of advice and criticism while Rutherford was sailing the NW passage in a 27' Albin Vega. Well as we all know he succeeded in that and continued to Cape Horn and back to Maryland.
Since then, while you are still planning, he has been to the Arctic on two expedition, crossed the Pacific and spent months in the Atlantic gathering data. On a recent delivery I was amused to see your boat warm and cost in southern Mexico. You remind me of Montgomery of Alamein....just get it done, then your advice and criticisms will have some validity.
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 11:19   #107

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonEdwards View Post
I remember your constant stream of advice and criticism while Rutherford was sailing the NW passage in a 27' Albin Vega. Well as we all know he succeeded in that and continued to Cape Horn and back to Maryland.
Since then, while you are still planning, he has been to the Arctic on two expedition, crossed the Pacific and spent months in the Atlantic gathering data. On a recent delivery I was amused to see your boat warm and cost in southern Mexico. You remind me of Montgomery of Alamein....just get it done, then your advice and criticisms will have some validity.
To whom is your criticism directed? I think Matt Rutherford is a sailor's sailor. I think it was amazing what he did and has done given the equipment he has available to him. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his nautical abilities.

BTW I do wish I was down in Mexico with my boat right now. I would have my shorts and T-shirt on instead of bundled up like I was headed to the North Pole.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 12:35   #108

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Seaworthy Lass ( amoderator on this forum) is currency Selling their aluminium boat - ti would be quite suitcase for polar cruising. You should send her a PM and ask about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdf View Post
Hi everyone, recently I have been thinking about the best suited boats for sailing the Arctic and Antarctic peninsula (or around ice in general), and can't decide between anything, so I have turned to this forum for help. My question is: If you were choosing a boat for OCCASIONAL polar cruising, what features would you want the boat to have? If possible, please touch on the following:
Hull Material - Metal or fiberglass/wooden? I have seen videos and read about fiberglass boats going to these places without any problems. What do you think?
Keel - fixed or lifting? full or fin?
Rudder - skeg hung? spade? transom hung? What are your thoughts on a transom hung rudder that can kick up if it hits anything solid?
Cockpit? open or closed? Center or aft?
Rig- Big or small?

I guess what I am asking is if you were choosing a boat, would it be something like an OVNI or a more modern, lightweight boat? (something like an RM 1360) How does fiberglass really handle the ice? obviously not crashing into an iceberg the size of your boat, but the inevitable bump against one of the smaller chunks of drift ice?

Thanks in advance for answering.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 13:37   #109

Boat: Douglas 32

Sdf, or others thinking about polar cruising should read Leslie Sike's book about his cruise to Hudson's Bay in 1985 in his steel 'Aqua Star'.
Links:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=3q6...ike%22&f=false

Nonfiction Book Review: Something Worth Doing: The Sub-Artic Voyage of Aqua-Star by Judith Chopra, Author W. W. Norton & Company $35 (0p) ISBN 978-0-393-03446-2

"In 1985, a sub-arctic sailing expedition across the Hudson Bay earned Leslie and Carolann Sike the “Cruising World Metal”. AQUA STAR was the FIRST sailing yacht ever to enter Canada’s Arctic Seaport in Churchill, Manitoba.
After the Hudson Bay expedition Aqua Star sailed to Leningrad U.S.S.R (now St. Petersburg) via Green Land Island, the estimated mileage on the Aqua Star was 40,000 miles."

Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 16:04   #110
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
To whom is your criticism directed? I think Matt Rutherford is a sailor's sailor. I think it was amazing what he did and has done given the equipment he has available to him. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his nautical abilities.

BTW I do wish I was down in Mexico with my boat right now. I would have my shorts and T-shirt on instead of bundled up like I was headed to the North Pole.
Sorry my reply was directed to 'GG2015'
not the forum generally!?
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 21:43   #111

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Just to remind that having a steel or alloy hull doesn't make the boat ice classed. With normal scantlings the plates dent like tins if driven in ice. More important than the material is the insulation..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:57   #112

Reading this thread with interest and was wondering if your standard grp 40' cruiser would be capable of visiting the South Pole briefly as apposed to full on polar cruising? I.e. A relatively lengthy enough weather window to pop ashore for a day or two and then head back north?
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:40   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Reading this thread with interest and was wondering if your standard grp 40' cruiser would be capable of visiting the South Pole briefly as apposed to full on polar cruising? I.e. A relatively lengthy enough weather window to pop ashore for a day or two and then head back north?
Currently, getting to the south pole in any type of boat other than an iceboat is problematical, but if you do manage to reach there you can likely stay for as long as you want.

However, with ocean temperatures rising faster than ever, no doubt you will soon be able to sail there:

Figure 11. Antarctic sub-ice topography, showing regions below present sea level in blue.
A suggestion of water depth is provided by the selected color ramp and hillshade raster beneath.
Looks like a terrific place to go fishing.
Spatial Analysis of Raster data - An Antarctic Example; from UT Austin Geosciences
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:57   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Currently, getting to the south pole in any type of boat other than an iceboat is problematical, but if you do manage to reach there you can likely stay for as long as you want.

However, with ocean temperatures rising faster than ever, no doubt you will soon be able to sail there:

Figure 11. Antarctic sub-ice topography, showing regions below present sea level in blue.

A suggestion of water depth is provided by the selected color ramp and hillshade raster beneath.

Looks like a terrific place to go fishing.
Spatial Analysis of Raster data - An Antarctic Example; from UT Austin Geosciences

After an Atlantic row (7 weeks unsupported wooden pairs boat) and an unsupported Amazon trek I had an unsupported trek to the South Pole (sled manhaul) on my bucket list. But the budget worked out at nearly £50k. Mainly flights. I already have most of the kit. A bit of me had the little spark flickering away deep in my grey matter to if I could take said boat down there as part of the expedition? I would want to take an experienced skipper but in the process of buying 40 something ft boat to live aboard. Two in the running at mo. A sun oddessey 43ds or an Oceanis 440. Oh and extra blankets lol. Just daydreaming at mo. But you never know. [emoji12]
Old 17-03-2017, 11:11   #115

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

This is the boat if you want to do polar exploration. Heavy aluminum plate with hard chines, retractable keel with a flat bottom for beaching and shallow waters, drying out etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	143334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	143335  

Old 17-03-2017, 11:25   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Capable, yes, ideal no. Fiberglass has terrible abrasion properties, which means light ice flows are your major source of worry. Big chunks are actually less of a concern since they deal primarily with impact protection where fiberglass is pretty good.

If you really want to head to Iceland flow country the options are a steel/aluminium band around the waterline, or a metal boat (I would go with aluminium).

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:36   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

And don't forget the insulation. Lots of insulation, ventilation and heat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:38   #118

Quote:
This is the boat if you want to do polar exploration. Heavy aluminum plate with hard chines, retractable keel with a flat bottom for beaching and shallow waters, drying out etc.

Wow that's beautiful in its ugliness and pure function. How much does something like that cost, rigged and ready to go. 'Just wondering
Old 17-03-2017, 11:48   #119

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Its camouflaged to look like an iceberg
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:13   #120

Quote:
Wow that's beautiful in its ugliness and pure function. How much does something like that cost, rigged and ready to go. 'Just wondering
To buy a new one would be very expensive upwards of $500K. If you buy used then maybe half that or a little more.

Tags
cruising