Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 09:27   #106
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endurance 40 Cutter by Windboats UK
Posts: 67
Re: Boat for polar cruising

I remember your constant stream of advice and criticism while Rutherford was sailing the NW passage in a 27' Albin Vega. Well as we all know he succeeded in that and continued to Cape Horn and back to Maryland.
Since then, while you are still planning, he has been to the Arctic on two expedition, crossed the Pacific and spent months in the Atlantic gathering data. On a recent delivery I was amused to see your boat warm and cost in southern Mexico. You remind me of Montgomery of Alamein....just get it done, then your advice and criticisms will have some validity.
__________________

simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 11:19   #107
Senior Cruiser
 
northwestsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kenai, AK
Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Posts: 295
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonEdwards View Post
I remember your constant stream of advice and criticism while Rutherford was sailing the NW passage in a 27' Albin Vega. Well as we all know he succeeded in that and continued to Cape Horn and back to Maryland.
Since then, while you are still planning, he has been to the Arctic on two expedition, crossed the Pacific and spent months in the Atlantic gathering data. On a recent delivery I was amused to see your boat warm and cost in southern Mexico. You remind me of Montgomery of Alamein....just get it done, then your advice and criticisms will have some validity.
To whom is your criticism directed? I think Matt Rutherford is a sailor's sailor. I think it was amazing what he did and has done given the equipment he has available to him. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his nautical abilities.

BTW I do wish I was down in Mexico with my boat right now. I would have my shorts and T-shirt on instead of bundled up like I was headed to the North Pole.
__________________

__________________
Victor Raymond
S/V Rajah Laut
1988 Meta Dalu 47

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 12:35   #108
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 5,003
Images: 1
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Seaworthy Lass ( amoderator on this forum) is currency Selling their aluminium boat - ti would be quite suitcase for polar cruising. You should send her a PM and ask about it


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdf View Post
Hi everyone, recently I have been thinking about the best suited boats for sailing the Arctic and Antarctic peninsula (or around ice in general), and can't decide between anything, so I have turned to this forum for help. My question is: If you were choosing a boat for OCCASIONAL polar cruising, what features would you want the boat to have? If possible, please touch on the following:
Hull Material - Metal or fiberglass/wooden? I have seen videos and read about fiberglass boats going to these places without any problems. What do you think?
Keel - fixed or lifting? full or fin?
Rudder - skeg hung? spade? transom hung? What are your thoughts on a transom hung rudder that can kick up if it hits anything solid?
Cockpit? open or closed? Center or aft?
Rig- Big or small?

I guess what I am asking is if you were choosing a boat, would it be something like an OVNI or a more modern, lightweight boat? (something like an RM 1360) How does fiberglass really handle the ice? obviously not crashing into an iceberg the size of your boat, but the inevitable bump against one of the smaller chunks of drift ice?

Thanks in advance for answering.
__________________
I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 13:37   #109
Registered User
 
Kim Gregory's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Boat: Douglas 32
Posts: 75
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Sdf, or others thinking about polar cruising should read Leslie Sike's book about his cruise to Hudson's Bay in 1985 in his steel 'Aqua Star'.
Links:
https://books.google.ca/books?id=3q6...ike%22&f=false

Nonfiction Book Review: Something Worth Doing: The Sub-Artic Voyage of Aqua-Star by Judith Chopra, Author W. W. Norton & Company $35 (0p) ISBN 978-0-393-03446-2

"In 1985, a sub-arctic sailing expedition across the Hudson Bay earned Leslie and Carolann Sike the “Cruising World Metal”. AQUA STAR was the FIRST sailing yacht ever to enter Canada’s Arctic Seaport in Churchill, Manitoba.
After the Hudson Bay expedition Aqua Star sailed to Leningrad U.S.S.R (now St. Petersburg) via Green Land Island, the estimated mileage on the Aqua Star was 40,000 miles."

Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 16:04   #110
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Endurance 40 Cutter by Windboats UK
Posts: 67
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
To whom is your criticism directed? I think Matt Rutherford is a sailor's sailor. I think it was amazing what he did and has done given the equipment he has available to him. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his nautical abilities.

BTW I do wish I was down in Mexico with my boat right now. I would have my shorts and T-shirt on instead of bundled up like I was headed to the North Pole.
Sorry my reply was directed to 'GG2015'
not the forum generally!?
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 21:43   #111
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,868
Images: 2
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Just to remind that having a steel or alloy hull doesn't make the boat ice classed. With normal scantlings the plates dent like tins if driven in ice. More important than the material is the insulation..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:57   #112
Registered User
 
johnyhask's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 77
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Reading this thread with interest and was wondering if your standard grp 40' cruiser would be capable of visiting the South Pole briefly as apposed to full on polar cruising? I.e. A relatively lengthy enough weather window to pop ashore for a day or two and then head back north?
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:40   #113
Registered User
 
SailOar's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 797
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Reading this thread with interest and was wondering if your standard grp 40' cruiser would be capable of visiting the South Pole briefly as apposed to full on polar cruising? I.e. A relatively lengthy enough weather window to pop ashore for a day or two and then head back north?
Currently, getting to the south pole in any type of boat other than an iceboat is problematical, but if you do manage to reach there you can likely stay for as long as you want.



However, with ocean temperatures rising faster than ever, no doubt you will soon be able to sail there:

Figure 11. Antarctic sub-ice topography, showing regions below present sea level in blue.
A suggestion of water depth is provided by the selected color ramp and hillshade raster beneath.
Looks like a terrific place to go fishing.
Spatial Analysis of Raster data - An Antarctic Example; from UT Austin Geosciences
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:57   #114
Registered User
 
johnyhask's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 77
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Currently, getting to the south pole in any type of boat other than an iceboat is problematical, but if you do manage to reach there you can likely stay for as long as you want.







However, with ocean temperatures rising faster than ever, no doubt you will soon be able to sail there:




Figure 11. Antarctic sub-ice topography, showing regions below present sea level in blue.

A suggestion of water depth is provided by the selected color ramp and hillshade raster beneath.

Looks like a terrific place to go fishing.
Spatial Analysis of Raster data - An Antarctic Example; from UT Austin Geosciences


After an Atlantic row (7 weeks unsupported wooden pairs boat) and an unsupported Amazon trek I had an unsupported trek to the South Pole (sled manhaul) on my bucket list. But the budget worked out at nearly £50k. Mainly flights. I already have most of the kit. A bit of me had the little spark flickering away deep in my grey matter to if I could take said boat down there as part of the expedition? I would want to take an experienced skipper but in the process of buying 40 something ft boat to live aboard. Two in the running at mo. A sun oddessey 43ds or an Oceanis 440. Oh and extra blankets lol. Just daydreaming at mo. But you never know.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:11   #115
Senior Cruiser
 
northwestsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kenai, AK
Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Posts: 295
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Boat for polar cruising

This is the boat if you want to do polar exploration. Heavy aluminum plate with hard chines, retractable keel with a flat bottom for beaching and shallow waters, drying out etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	430.5 KB
ID:	143334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4311.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	143335  

__________________
Victor Raymond
S/V Rajah Laut
1988 Meta Dalu 47

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:25   #116
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,980
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Reading this thread with interest and was wondering if your standard grp 40' cruiser would be capable of visiting the South Pole briefly as apposed to full on polar cruising? I.e. A relatively lengthy enough weather window to pop ashore for a day or two and then head back north?
Capable, yes, ideal no. Fiberglass has terrible abrasion properties, which means light ice flows are your major source of worry. Big chunks are actually less of a concern since they deal primarily with impact protection where fiberglass is pretty good.

If you really want to head to Iceland flow country the options are a steel/aluminium band around the waterline, or a metal boat (I would go with aluminium).
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:36   #117
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,949
Re: Boat for polar cruising

And don't forget the insulation. Lots of insulation, ventilation and heat.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:38   #118
Registered User
 
johnyhask's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 77
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
This is the boat if you want to do polar exploration. Heavy aluminum plate with hard chines, retractable keel with a flat bottom for beaching and shallow waters, drying out etc.


Wow that's beautiful in its ugliness and pure function. How much does something like that cost, rigged and ready to go. 'Just wondering
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:48   #119
Registered User
 
Scot McPherson's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shoreline, CT and Portmouth Harbor
Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Posts: 631
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
This is the boat if you want to do polar exploration. Heavy aluminum plate with hard chines, retractable keel with a flat bottom for beaching and shallow waters, drying out etc.
Its camouflaged to look like an iceberg
__________________
Captain Scot, 100 Ton Master, w/Sailing and Towing
Daring Kids to be Exceptional
http://americanseafarers.us
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:13   #120
Senior Cruiser
 
northwestsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kenai, AK
Boat: Meta Dalu 47
Posts: 295
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Boat for polar cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Wow that's beautiful in its ugliness and pure function. How much does something like that cost, rigged and ready to go. 'Just wondering
To buy a new one would be very expensive upwards of $500K. If you buy used then maybe half that or a little more.
__________________

__________________
Victor Raymond
S/V Rajah Laut
1988 Meta Dalu 47

completion by Peter Smith
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polar View / Polar Com Digital Map Software tomj Navigation 1 17-05-2011 19:24
Polar for the Sun Odyssey 36i johnbenq Monohull Sailboats 1 06-06-2008 02:53
Same old, same old in the polar regions knottybuoyz Polar Regions 4 07-03-2008 17:44
Search for Bene361 Polar George P Monohull Sailboats 5 12-01-2008 14:37
Lk. Superior - Not Exactly Polar... GordMay Polar Regions 0 05-11-2003 03:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.