Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2017, 20:26   #1

Young Couple Seeking Sailing Experience

Hello!

My name is Matt and my wonderful new wife and I are wanting to sail around the Caribbean in a year or so. We are wanting to test the water with this idea a little bit and crew on a boat for a little while before we commit to buying a boat of our own. We are completely new at the moment but I've found someone to take us out here locally from Santa Barbara CA on Latitude38. So we are working on getting a little bit of sailing experience so we at least know which way is up by the time we get down to warmer waters.

A little bit more about us: We are both young (27 & 28) and fit and able-bodied. We are quick learners and we both work as engineers at our current jobs. We are looking to quit those next year though to pursue travel for a few years until we settle down to have kids. We are easy going and laid back and feel like the sailing culture would be a perfect fit for us. We are certified scuba divers, I have around 100dives and Alli has 30ish. I'm also a competent mechanic. Never worked on marine engines before but I've rebuilt a few cars in my garage and I'm a mechanical engineer by training so I may be useful in repairing things. We are both decent cooks and totally more than happy to help take care of our share of the work and chores as well as costs.

I know we are green but hopefully, we can find someone that is willing to teach us the ropes and we would love to learn and keep company with some other wonderful sailors! We likely won't be leaving our jobs until March next year but we were thinking we may take a week or two vacation to crew a boat before then. If that fits into your schedules we will happily fly to the pickup and fly home from the drop off. No worries there.

We Ideally would like experience on a Catamaran but that's not required. Beggars can't be choosers as they say. I would love to connect with anyone who might be interested on Skype or facetime or something.

Happy Sailing!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01d0427f1f08a52ab7e3d10dd30a4bbabe87203d8b.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	154993  
Mowen632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 11:46   #2

Boat: Ericson 39
Re: Young Couple Seeking Sailing Experience

Hi,

I have a 1971 Ericson 39 currently in Hancock Harbor marina in southern New Jersey. This fall, late October early November, I want to sail her down the eastern seaboard to Titusville Florida. My eventual destination is Luperon Bay in the Dominican Republic, but that will be another trip. I'm easy to get along with and my friend will likely join us as well. I've had this boat a year and my friend and I sailed her from Greenport New York to where she is now on Delaware Bay. I have a full time job and can only afford to take a week or 2 off at a time. We figure 8 days sail, non stop to florida. We have a small fridge and solar panel but the current alcohol stove doesn't work so we were using 2 butane stoves. I'm hoping to get the more labour intensive work done in the Dominican where labour rates are low. My skype is chuckeroo86 and my phone is 514-941-7269. I live in Montreal.
WesHeald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHeald View Post
Hi,

I have a 1971 Ericson 39 currently in Hancock Harbor marina in southern New Jersey. This fall, late October early November, I want to sail her down the eastern seaboard to Titusville Florida. My eventual destination is Luperon Bay in the Dominican Republic, but that will be another trip. I'm easy to get along with and my friend will likely join us as well. I've had this boat a year and my friend and I sailed her from Greenport New York to where she is now on Delaware Bay. I have a full time job and can only afford to take a week or 2 off at a time. We figure 8 days sail, non stop to florida. We have a small fridge and solar panel but the current alcohol stove doesn't work so we were using 2 butane stoves. I'm hoping to get the more labour intensive work done in the Dominican where labour rates are low. My skype is chuckeroo86 and my phone is 514-941-7269. I live in Montreal.
Thanks Wes. I really appreciate the offer. I'll shoot you a text and we can chat some more!
Old 31-08-2017, 17:21   #4

The Baja Ha Ha is coming up. Go to the the crew party, or the Downwind Marine party in San Diego, and get a ride for the Ha Ha.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
The Baja Ha Ha is coming up. Go to the the crew party, or the Downwind Marine party in San Diego, and get a ride for the Ha Ha.
I've heard that mentioned online but I don't know much about it. I'll do a little bit of research. How long are people usually out for? I'll have to squeeze it in around work if its shorter notice.
Old 31-08-2017, 19:22   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

We're in San Diego. Boat's only ready for daysails currently.

If you don't mind driving down we could set up one or more Sundays for daysailing on Mission bay and out onto the Pacific.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 19:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowen632 View Post
I've heard that mentioned online but I don't know much about it. I'll do a little bit of research. How long are people usually out for? I'll have to squeeze it in around work if its shorter notice.

Go to the Latitude 38 website. It leaves San Diego the end of October and goes to Cabo.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
We're in San Diego. Boat's only ready for daysails currently.

If you don't mind driving down we could set up one or more Sundays for daysailing on Mission bay and out onto the Pacific.
Thank you so much for the offer! San Diego is a bit far for a day sail. We are in Bakersfield so it's quite a drive. I'm hoping to find some people on the local coast within 2-4hrs that I can get a little experience with. If I find myself that direction though I will make sure to reach out.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Thank you so much for the offer! San Diego is a bit far for a day sail. We are in Bakersfield so it's quite a drive. I'm hoping to find some people on the local coast within 2-4hrs that I can get a little experience with. If I find myself that direction though I will make sure to reach out.
Oh. You seemed to indicate in Post#1 that you were in Santa Barbara.

Still rather far for a daysail but not as absurd.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:48   #10

Boat: Catalina 387

I'd offer the same - daysails and/or 2-3 day trips. But I'm out of Dana Point, so that's likely too far for y'all too.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I'd offer the same - daysails and/or 2-3 day trips. But I'm out of Dana Point, so that's likely too far for y'all too.
I may be down in Long Beach Area Sunday. Not sure if you had plans to take the boat out this weekend but maybe it could work.

If anyone wants to contact me feel free to text me at 661-427-three830

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:58   #12

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
I may be down in Long Beach Area Sunday. Not sure if you had plans to take the boat out this weekend but maybe it could work.

If anyone wants to contact me feel free to text me at 661-427-three830

Thanks!
PM sent.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20   #13

Super Low Expenses!! Come sail with us! We are looking for people to help share with the expenses for a late model 40 - 45' catamaran off Kos, Greece the third week of October (just over a month away). Plane flights currently kind of low ($550 rt from Chicago to Athens). The week charter is already paid for, we just need help with start up charges and insurance/damage waiver charges. Write back or call (coded - Two 6 too, three 6 six, ate 6 ate eight) if you have a chance of taking advantage of this opportunity! Linda
vonnegute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 20:20   #14

Not sure how I bump this thread. We have been talking further and we are pretty committed to leaving our Jobs in May. That means we will be free to take on some long-term cruising with any who would be willing to have us!

It has been difficult to make the schedules work around our allotted vacation time so hopefully, this frees us up to jump on some opportunities. So if anyone is planning some trips get in touch and we'll see if we can work out the details!
Old 28-01-2018, 12:24   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Not sure how I bump this thread. We have been talking further and we are pretty committed to leaving our Jobs in May. That means we will be free to take on some long-term cruising with any who would be willing to have us!

It has been difficult to make the schedules work around our allotted vacation time so hopefully, this frees us up to jump on some opportunities. So if anyone is planning some trips get in touch and we'll see if we can work out the details!
Hi, Mowen,

If you haven't done it, check the Crew Wanteds here. Maybe you'll find a good fit. There are a few threads about crewing, you might be interested. Use the CF Custom Google search, under the Search menu.

Good luck with it.

Ann

Tags
enc, sail, sailing