Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2014, 09:52   #1

Willing to Learn

Hello!

My name is Kiley, and I'm a non-smoking, hardworking 27yo lady from Jacksonville, Florida who is looking for experience and adventure at sea. I'm very easy going, and prefer to have a smile on my face most of the time. I don't have much experience sailing, but I have spent plenty of time on the water catching fish, both on and offshore. My attentiveness, common sense and strong work ethic have served me well throughout my life. I am currently getting my certification as an EMT, and am steadily working my way towards Physician's Assistant school. I also work as a chocolatier on the side.

Sailing has always been a dream of mine, and I would love to learn the ropes and travel before I'm tied down with a career and family. With that said, starting in January of 2015, I'm free to roam the open ocean with a willing teacher and traveller. I'm very respectful, very tough, I take criticism well, and always use my manners! Oh, and I've been known to crack a joke or two.

I'd prefer to travel with kind and genuine people, on sea and in life.

Thanks for your time!!!
-Kiley

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=photo.jpg Views: 270 Size: 152.2 KB ID: 90333" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 25-10-2014, 12:21   #2

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft
Re: Willing to Learn

In your post you have presented all your positive traits. But not many experienced yacht owners will take you aboard on the basis of those traits, because what they're interested in are the negative personality traits that WILL emerge after a week or so at sea.

Sailing with people for a prolonged period on a small, cramped yacht CAN BE HELL if personalities aren't compatible. There's nowhere to run on a small yacht and marriages have shattered because of this. Sailing on a small yacht means being forced to spend 24/7 in the company of other people with minimal privacy. You can't go home and you can't quit your position when you're out at sea.

A lot of yacht owners have negative experiences with crew and vice versa (yacht owners can be d*cks as well). So they will ask for references. To get references you need experience. To get experience you need to make a few successful trips. To make a few successful trips you have to get to know the people you're going to sail with before you get stuck with them on a floating little prison. Be honest, have a deep conversation and make at least a 24 hour sailing trip together. And pass if there's any doubt. Better safe than sorry.

The Russians determined if their cosmonauts were suitable to go on a mission together by putting them in a car together and having them drive around the countryside for three weeks. During that period they were only allowed to leave the car when they had to take a no. 2. If they could stand each other after 3 weeks, they were compatible and could go on a mission together.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2015, 19:59   #3

Re: Willing to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkileybob View Post
Hello!

My name is Kiley, and I'm a non-smoking, hardworking 27yo lady from Jacksonville, Florida who is looking for experience and adventure at sea. I'm very easy going, and prefer to have a smile on my face most of the time. I don't have much experience sailing, but I have spent plenty of time on the water catching fish, both on and offshore. My attentiveness, common sense and strong work ethic have served me well throughout my life. I am currently getting my certification as an EMT, and am steadily working my way towards Physician's Assistant school. I also work as a chocolatier on the side.

Sailing has always been a dream of mine, and I would love to learn the ropes and travel before I'm tied down with a career and family. With that said, starting in January of 2015, I'm free to roam the open ocean with a willing teacher and traveller. I'm very respectful, very tough, I take criticism well, and always use my manners! Oh, and I've been known to crack a joke or two.

I'd prefer to travel with kind and genuine people, on sea and in life.

Thanks for your time!!!

-Kiley

Attachment 90333

Hi Kiley. I am planning on sailing around the world in 2016 and am looking for crew. 2/3 years or parts of it. If interested contact me at ajconstruction@kwic.com Thanks Andy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum