Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 11:32   #1

Will pay $600/mo to gain more experience as crew

Hello All,

I am looking to crew for 1-3 months. I completed a sailing program at my local JC and have sailed many times to and from Catalina and Long Beach on a 25' Sloop. I am looking to gain more sailing experience on various boats. I am a noob and will pay $600/ mo and buy my own food in exchange for new experience and knowledge. I sometimes need to be shown things more than once but I am a hard worker. I have a positive attitude and willing heart. I am a team player and enjoy helping others. I do ask for patience and respect as every experienced sailor started somewhere just like me.

Best Wishes,
Leah
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Will pay $600/mo to gain more experience as crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbee View Post
Hello All,

I am looking to crew for 1-3 months. I completed a sailing program at my local JC and have sailed many times to and from Catalina and Long Beach on a 25' Sloop. I am looking to gain more sailing experience on various boats. I am a noob and will pay $600/ mo and buy my own food in exchange for new experience and knowledge. I sometimes need to be shown things more than once but I am a hard worker. I have a positive attitude and willing heart. I am a team player and enjoy helping others. I do ask for patience and respect as every experienced sailor started somewhere just like me.

Best Wishes,
Leah
Worried about this post, Leah. Firstly, the name sounds female - forgive me if I'm wrong - so you are opening yourself up to all sorts of weirdos.

Secondly, as a "noob" - what a ghastly word, by the way, is it in the Oxford English Dictionary yet, I wonder? The fact that you have been on a boat a few times on the American Left hand coast may make you less of a "noob" than many posters on this site.

So - you should be looking for a "3rd hand" position on a delivery where, normally, you make your own way to and from the boat but get fed and watered whilst on passage.

After that - who knows.....you may find out that the "romance" of offshore sailing is not for you, as you were sick as a dog, slightly frightened by the whole thing, didn't like or get on with the skipper or other crew, etc, etc.

On the other hand - you might find out that its exactly what you want to do for the rest of your natural days, fall madly in love with the skipper, or crew, he does the same with you and you sail off happily into the sunset.....its a crap shoot isn't it!!

Either way - You've gotta try it - but I wouldn't be talking about shelling out muchos dollaros...if you can cook (it doesn't have to be gourmet - anything warmed up in a pan in a force 8 is a bonus) - and you can clean, and you don't mind generally "mucking in", then as far as I'm concerned, you're worth carrying and teaching....

best of luck with it in 2015!! Tony
Old 05-01-2015, 09:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Hey Leah,

Welcome to CF!!!

First... If you're staying local, you really shouldn't have to pay your way to crew... For the longer adventure thing you seem to be looking for, probably so...

If you're just looking for more experience and different boats locally, contact oldfrog75 here

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: OldFrog75

He seems like a GREAT guy who sails club boats in your area...

Hope to see more of your posts!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:12   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I sounds like a great way to me to get some good learning experience at a lower cost that a quicky sailing course!

You should post location requirements. I would bet in a few months there will be boats starting to look for crew to head back North from the Caribbean.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Will pay $600/mo to gain more experience as crew

Hi Leah..
Post in the crew available section saying which area's your looking to sail in..
Are you prepared to travel a distance.. age, nationality (this can affect your sailing area in some cases).
Any quirks.. Veggie.. don't eat fish.. allergies..
And most important the times windows your looking for.. eg; Feb-April.. July-Sept...
Basically a mini CV...
Delivery trips may be best suited as its pretty intensive.. more so than a cruising boat.
Would be wary of a skipper asking a fee.. paying your own travel/own way would be a bonus

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Quere, Super Arlequin, 30 feet

Hi Leah,
Welcome on board. I host all year long guests, travelers and helpers on my 30 feet sailboat, teaching beginners sailing navigation and sharing life on sea experiences. Technics, boat maintenance, weather, etc, and... crew management For safe and fun = relaxing sailing!
Area: Caribbeans windward islands, mostly between Martinica and St Martin.
I'm on Couchsurfuing, Helpx too. Personal web site for my other activity: accueil - relaxocean.
Your fee's contribution is what I practice.
Tell me if interested bec lot of requests during "winter" of course.
Have nice days beginning 2015,
Jean
Old 06-01-2015, 04:36   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbee View Post
Hello All,

Best Wishes,
Leah
Welcome to CF Leah.

You don't need to pay that sort of money to get experience. Follow the advice given here.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:50   #8

Welcome! It is hard to find crew positions where you can really learn exactly what you want no matter what others suggest. During our time in the Canaries I would say that there was 25- 50 young people for every crew position there was, so super competitive. By all means take their advise because you may very well find an opportunity but I like your idea. You make yourself stand out and because you are paying a fee you expect exactly what you want in return because you are paying for it. Someone willing to take her hard earned money and plunk it on the line obviously is very committed. Good luck, R
Old 06-01-2015, 04:57   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Welcome! It is hard to find crew positions where you can really learn exactly what you want no matter what others suggest. During our time in the Canaries I would say that there was 25- 50 young people for every crew position there was, so super competitive. By all means take their advise because you may very well find an opportunity but I like your idea. You make yourself stand out and because you are paying a fee you expect exactly what you want in return because you are paying for it. Someone willing to take her hard earned money and plunk it on the line obviously is very committed. Good luck, R
LOL... remember a few years back someone on Lonely Planet who advertised berths 110euro/week cruising the Med... they sailed nowhere as such but the boat got a whole lot of fixing up...

Old 06-01-2015, 05:06   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Leah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot
... Secondly, as a "noob" - what a ghastly word, by the way, is it in the Oxford English Dictionary yet, I wonder? ...
Yep - the Concise Oxford English Dictionary added “noob” in 2011.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/english/noob

http://www.cbc.ca/strombo/news/the-o...-and-more.html

Old 07-01-2015, 05:05   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Leah.

Yep - the Concise Oxford English Dictionary added “noob” in 2011.

noob: definition of noob in Oxford dictionary (British & World English)

George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight | The Oxford Dictionary’s New Words for 2011: Noob, Sexting, Woot, and More
!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:10   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

There she was...!!
GONE...!!!!

Old 11-02-2015, 19:59   #13

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I will need my boat brought to me in April from Houston to Tampico, Mx. If you are interested and can help out, you will get some really good experience...
Email me with a skype # or a cel #... wil4_wong@hotmail.com
or skype me william.bevalet
Thanx, have a good night
Old 12-02-2015, 04:44   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiladysailor Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiladysailor

I think if someone is willing to pay it means they are serious about learning to sail and are showing it. Its not easy to get a good boat with good skipper and owner to sail with just like that . Everyone wants to do it seemingly . So making a good offer towards the kitty shows she is not a loser ..and wants to sail with respectable people perhaps. .Also if someone contributes that amount it tells someone she is not just trying to get somewhere or something for free. She fully knows as well that her offer might get her considered before others.
Old 12-02-2015, 16:19   #15

Aside from the stupid sexism... if someone wants to get some experience sailing on, cruising on a yacht... why not offer oneself and pay one's way... it's like taking a real world unstructured sailing course. I think it could be a perfectly sensible concept.

I don't think this needs to be... nor should be anything more than what it sounds on the face... a motivated person who want exposure to a yacht. We don't know the particulars and for sure one needs to see what you are getting into... both sides... but why not?

Tags
crew, enc