Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 12:48   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Volunteer crew wanted, 42 Sloop from FL heading to Cape Cod mid May.

Guys, this is what "freedom" looks like.

OP can ask anything he wants and if people are willing then good for him and good for them.

If he can't find someone then he can offer what is needed to attract a qualified candidate.

If one can't because they require compensation go find a compensated position or find a way to earn what's needed elsewhere to do the non-compensated.

If that seems unfair you're really not going to like the ocean ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:10   #17

Sir, I have been on the ocean, and around the ocean, and may I add that means oceans all over the world including the Arctic. It just seems this is clearly a monetary issue where the captain and/or owner wants indentured servants so they can go sailing. I love sailing but if the owner can't pay transportation, that is wrong and kinda scary. He is getting free labor to do what he is getting paid for. This seems like a scam to me. Sorry, but after decades on the water that's just how I feel based on what I have seen.
wordsmithereen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:16   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Wish I had the flexibility to consider this. The log time would be worth a couple Southwest tickets to me. The OP seems reasonable in their prior experience requirements, and you have to start somewhere.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:17   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmithereen View Post
Sir, I have been on the ocean, and around the ocean, and may I add that means oceans all over the world including the Arctic. It just seems this is clearly a monetary issue where the captain and/or owner wants indentured servants so they can go sailing. I love sailing but if the owner can't pay transportation, that is wrong and kinda scary. He is getting free labor to do what he is getting paid for. This seems like a scam to me. Sorry, but after decades on the water that's just how I feel based on what I have seen.
We get it. You asked who/why would be interested.
Old 09-05-2017, 13:31   #20

Boat: SJ 21

I have no qualifications for this trip so will not ask to be a part of it. But, if I could meet the barest minimum qualification I would be flying to FLL and then ask for a position.
Now, if I had years of experience on the ocean and wanted to sail FLL to wherever I would submit my resume from home and go if asked aboard.
If it's not a paid position it's not a paid position.

C'est la vie.
Michael
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:35   #21

I'm am not sure why people get upset about volunteer crew...

We pay all food and boat expenses but not transportation...

We get crew and the crew get off-shore experience on a good boat with very experienced owners that is very difficult or expensive to find any other way. One crew has over 10,000 blue water miles with us and he has been coming back for 9 years and is now an experienced off-shore sailor.

We have more volunteers from our sailing club than we can accommodate...our trips are extensions of the Club's training programs and help with the transition from bareboat to ocean sailor.

Just let the man get on with his delivery and if you don't like how he does it don't go.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I'm am not sure why people get upset about volunteer crew...

We pay all food and boat expenses but not transportation...

We get crew and the crew get off-shore experience on a good boat with very experienced owners that is very difficult or expensive to find any other way. One crew has over 10,000 blue water miles with us and he has been coming back for 9 years and is now an experienced off-shore sailor.

We have more volunteers from our sailing club than we can accommodate...our trips are extensions of the Club's training programs and help with the transition from bareboat to ocean sailor.

Just let the man get on with his delivery and if you don't like how he does it don't go.

Agreed. It's about the experience. Looking forward to a trip myself.
Gchase49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 15:23   #23

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Guys, this is what "freedom" looks like.

OP can ask anything he wants and if people are willing then good for him and good for them.

If he can't find someone then he can offer what is needed to attract a qualified candidate.

If one can't because they require compensation go find a compensated position or find a way to earn what's needed elsewhere to do the non-compensated.

If that seems unfair you're really not going to like the ocean ;-)
akprb, what a great post "this is what freedom looks like." You are free to apply or not. The OP did not ask for your opinions, just "these are the terms, let me know if you are interested."
Those that are negatively responding, perhaps it's because they worry that this will become the norm moving forward?, costing them $ if they want to crew? Maybe?
Wordsmitheren, based on your post, I'm sure you are far more experienced on the sea than I, but there were numerous positive responses. If you don't like what the OP offered, just move onto another thread.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 15:23   #24

I do apologize if I have offended anyone, but this is a sore spot with me. I went through al this early on and yes...it was not a good experience. Over the years I hired a lot of crew and I always took care of them. For those of you that are young make sure of what you are getting into.

To me there is a factor of money. If they are so locked on the money it sends up flags.

I am just offering a bit of wisdom. I have been through this.

BTW it wasn't me that asked who/why. I just answered. Look more carefully.
wordsmithereen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 17:53   #25

It doesn't sound like "they" are the ones so "locked on the money".

For many it's not about that......but not all.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
Old 12-05-2017, 22:58   #26

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

We see here simply some differences of opinions. Nothing new .
Different perspective from different people with different experiences and different levels of experience.
I would hope people ask questions and know what is expected of them.
I'd consider this but im watching over the admiral in the hospital. She crossed Mobile bay yesterday in a macgregor cat. She was fine til we got in the car....
Old 13-05-2017, 00:09   #27

For many who can't afford charter or simply wants to learn about sailing, this could be priceless experience. "What you don’t know you will be taught." This is important and valuable.So I'm sure there will be people willing to pay for tickets.
Yes there are some risk involved as volunteer might be not up to the task, but this is not first nor second position on boat so risk is small anyway.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 03:07   #28

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

Thank you everyone for the response. We currently have a full boat and are heading off tomorrow. I expect the current crew will stay for the duration unless unexpected weather drives us back inside for awhile in which case we would consider taking on another person for the remainder of the trip.

It's a beautiful boat and the owner may be open to volunteer crew while sailing up North this summer so if anyone wants to P.M. me I'll pass on contact info.
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 08:28   #29

Fantastic! Enjoy!

Old 13-05-2017, 08:39   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The two original delivery crew could have taken the boat by themselves. Thanks to them for taking some newbies who want experience. They are hoping to get a little more sleep by taking more crew, but the risk is having to deal with the extra crew if they get seasick. If you want to get paid, organize your own delivery.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape cod, crew, crew wanted, head, sloop, wanted