Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 16:16   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: USCG Master Available Good BUT NOT CHEAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Boatie, I hear you about having that ability to improvise as we all have done on deliveries.
... ... ....
But when Micky turns to Murphy you need to ask yourself if the OP's marketing ego was a contributing factor?
Are you real? Or just being a troll cause you are bored?

You do not know me. Have no idea what my background is, but you insult me? REALLY?

You assume much - always a flaw. Would have thought someone with your reported experience would be more professional.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 16:35   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Don't take it personally Snore...

You highlight and market your skills with rubber bands to potential clients as the solution to their known boat problems.

I question whether that is the right mindset you should be promoting to boat owners with less experience than you?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 16:36   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
These are things, I will gladly discuss my credentials with interested first parties. Those people can find information on my website, I have collected compliments and reviews from my satisfied customers.

I am not getting into a procotscopic evaluation of every tack I made “for the sport of it.”
You miss my point, or misunderstand my intent. That is unfortunate.
I was trying to help you, but from your response and PM you don't see that, and apparently also miss my attempt to provide a friendly suggestion.

I assure you my intent was to help you (and others) when they post their miles as a sign of experience.

Let me clarify my POV:

Since you are promoting that you have over 100k miles of experience, it would be better to describe those in your posts on CF, so readers will immediately see your experience with different boats and places, or how that 100k miles was acquired, or what value it may have to them.

As I mentioned up above, I think a clear description of what those miles entailed is more useful to a reader than simply the number of miles. For example, a Staten Island ferry boat captain may have 100k miles and many years of boating, but only on a short route that is repeated many times, or little or no sailing experience. I think those things make a difference.

Put another way, your initial post up top seems to make it sound as if many Delivery captains have 100K miles, and that you do not consider that distinctive or important as a differentiator. Your post title and post seems to focus on cost, and that you will take on almost any delivery. So, from your own description, it appears you consider those things more important to you.

As I see it, the type of experience (where and how acquired) one has is more relevant than the number of years or miles spent on a boat.

Hope that helps clarify my point and intent.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 17:07   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: USCG Master Available Good BUT NOT CHEAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Boatie, I hear you about having that ability to improvise as we all have done on deliveries.

It gets even worse when it is a super yacht, neglected for years and is being delivered half way around the world for a major refit for a new Owner.
Systems are all ready to fail.

However, there are certain types of skippers and owners, who actually revel in crisis management, rather than being proactive in a detail survey and fix problems in a dependable fashion, before crossing an Ocean.

Sure you can Micky mouse almost anything in a coastal delivery to get to the nearest port if critical.
But when Micky turns to Murphy you need to ask yourself if the OP's marketing ego was a contributing factor?
Me being egotistical here..
I Mickey Mouse all the way to the destination when I have to.. Coastal or Trans Oceans..
In one case it involved 3 oceans and 2 Sea's.. us bottom of the barrel boys have to for our bread and butter.
As I have said.. and Snore.. we take the jobs others walk away from.. and I cant be that cheap.. judging by how many ask if I can cut my price..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 17:10   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: USCG Master Available Good BUT NOT CHEAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
You miss my point, or misunderstand my intent. That is unfortunate.
I was trying to help you, but from your response and PM you don't see that, and apparently also miss my attempt to provide a friendly suggestion.

I assure you my intent was to help you (and others) when they post their miles as a sign of experience.

Let me clarify my POV:

Since you are promoting that you have over 100k miles of experience, it would be better to describe those in your posts on CF, so readers will immediately see your experience with different boats and places, or how that 100k miles was acquired, or what value it may have to them.

As I mentioned up above, I think a clear description of what those miles entailed is more useful to a reader than simply the number of miles. For example, a Staten Island ferry boat captain may have 100k miles and many years of boating, but only on a short route that is repeated many times, or little or no sailing experience. I think those things make a difference.

Put another way, your initial post up top seems to make it sound as if many Delivery captains have 100K miles, and that you do not consider that distinctive or important as a differentiator. Your post title and post seems to focus on cost, and that you will take on almost any delivery. So, from your own description, it appears you consider those things more important to you.

As I see it, the type of experience (where and how acquired) one has is more relevant than the number of years or miles spent on a boat.

Hope that helps clarify my point and intent.
Thats why we spend time creating a web site.. to save time posting an advert as long as the above..
Mind.. Snore's is pretty wordy..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 04:19   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats why we spend time creating a web site.. to save time posting an advert as long as the above..
Mind.. Snore's is pretty wordy..
Will make sure next thread offering my services has a shorter first post
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 24-05-2018, 12:19   #22

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Interesting stuff!! I have, apparently, though I've never checked, sailed to the Moon and not quite back. So what? and Big deal. I don't advertise much because I don't need to. But as far as "S@#t Happens" I am sitting on a large "Gin Palace" as I write, In Morehead City. Unfortunately she lost her Port Gear Box so the last couple of hundred miles has been single engine. Its a bit of a bugger 'cos I have to get her to NY, then up the Hudson, down the Erie, and across the Great Lakes to a place called Wisconsin. Never been to Morehead City before but got her in at midnight...just another dark arrival to an unknown port....par the course...
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 15:14   #23
Marine Service Provider

Just finished another delivery- for another happy customer. Moved his new-to-him cat, while teaching/debugging the new owner along the way.

Currently committed through late-June.

Please contact me here or through my website www.USCGMaster.com

Tags
cheap, mast