Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2014, 13:24   #1

U.S./Caribbean to Europe, March/April/May 2015

Hi... My partner Anita and I are on the south coast of Haiti near the border town of Pedernales, Dominican Republic. We are volunteering at a permaculture-oriented reforestation project called Sadhana Forest. Sadhana Forest is a volunteer-based project bringing long term food security to the area of Anse-a-Pitre, in southeast Haiti in the form of edible tree crops like fruits, moringa and the Maya nut.

We are looking for unpaid positions crewing on a sailing vessel from the U.S./Caribbean to Europe in March/April 2015. We would like to visit and volunteer at similar projects in Europe. We are willing to fly to the starting point if it seems like a good fit, and we are flexible on where exactly we make landfall.

We recently crewed together for 2 weeks on a 51 ft. Formosa Force ketch built in 1974. We sailed from Port St. Joe, Florida to Marathon, FL... we make a good team! Together we managed the food shopping, cooking, cleaning. We also handled deckhand tasks like raising and lowering sails, staying on watch, manually raising the anchor, fixing things that broke, and we helped with sail repair.

I am 33 years old, born and raised in Rhode Island, USA. I have sailed recreationally on and off since I was a kid. I am comfortable on a boat and have loved my cruising experience so far. I am an organic farmer by trade since age 20. I love preparing food and doing the work necessary to have a clean and tidy ship. I speak spanish at a beginner level.

Anita is a 29 year old woman of Indian origin born and raised in the U.S. She is skilled in cooking (especially plant-based and raw foods), hospitality, cleaning, nannying, sewing and solar electric systems. She is physically capable and hard working. She is fluent in Spanish and Hindi.

We are traveling the world to live in intentional communities and permaculture projects. We are interested in low-impact travel, gardening, gift economy, languages, nonviolent communication and being around people in general.

Thanks!
-Pete
Old 22-12-2014, 19:55   #2

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner
Re: U.S./Caribbean to Europe, March/April/May 2015

Ahoy Anita and Pete,
Im afraid that our boatis currently in the Med and this next season we will be heading west to Spain and then to cross back over to the Caribbean and Mexico. The Med has been very magic for the last 6 years but time for new adventures. When we are not sailing we are in the SF Bay area working and gardening. If you find youselves here or there drop us a note. There is a lot going on in new agriculture and intentional communities for change, unfortunately the world is going under very fast, but magic does exist and we hope you find a good skipper for your crossing. Fair winds. Jim and Barbara
Old 30-12-2014, 21:05   #3

Boat: hunter 37 cherubini
Re: U.S./Caribbean to Europe, March/April/May 2015

Hi I have a 37 ft sailboat in New Jersey( just bought it) and need to get it to the turks or even haiti in june of next year; then to cruse the carib after that then possible to panama; If u guys are capable you could deliver the boat to haiti or the turks from New Jersey and I fly there with my companion at that time.Iam a retired american located in the philippines) open to all possibilities.; tx me to my email ;zigzaging2002@yahoo.com
duke

Tags
arc, Caribbean, Europe, rib, rope