Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2018, 07:46   #1

Travelling to Mexico in 2019?

They say nothing beats experience....so that's what I'm looking for If anyone is sailing from San Diego (or close to it) into Mexico and would like some help I would be interested in crewing. Although I have limited experience I'm very familiar with being on boats (having raced a soling when I was younger) and helping to crew on your boat would help me in achieving my goal of buying my own boat to live on. I live in Aguascalientes Mexico, retired and have all the time in the world so setting a schedule is fairly easy for me. If you are interested please check out my profile and let me know.
Dennis Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 07:51   #2

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Re: Travelling to Mexico in 2019?

Hi Dennis,
It seems that most boats make the trip down to Mexico right about now, in late fall. If you don't manage to grab a spot before this time next year, I would suggest trying to crew on one of the boats participating in the Baja-Haha. Usually, there are lots of boats seeking crew. Good luck, it is a nice trip. I've gone down three times and back three times. Coming back can be a real slog.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:13   #3

Boat: Passport 40

You might also find some boats going from further south in Mexico (Vallarta, etc) to La Paz for example. So check that option too.

Cheers
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:44   #4

Re: Travelling to Mexico (or elsewhere) in 2019?

Thanks for the update....as I didn't know the time frame most sailors head down to Mexico. That being said (as I edited my title) I should have added that I would be willing to take on a crewing position heading elsewhere (as long as it was warm)
Old 27-10-2018, 09:40   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there should be crew parties now in san diego for haha ... go to those .. downwind marine has connections with haha and puts on seminars.. go to those....
they leave soon. some may have openings for crew. also check th e board in the mailroom at downwind for crew postings ... cannot find those, ask marcia in downwind marina.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 15:52   #6

Will certainly Follow up Zeehag!
Old 28-10-2018, 08:59   #7

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

I would recommend the Haha, though it departs at the end of the month and that may be too soon. Another option would be to join someone already in the sea of Cortez which would be easy. If you have not tried it, the cross border express into Tijuana is very easy and you can catch local flights. La Paz is a good place to catch cruiser’s as they go up the sea or across to the mainland. I know of at least one boat looking for crew. Pm me if you want me to connect you.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 12:39   #8

Thanks Bradford Harley....but a little for me....prefer to set plans for the New Year
Old 28-10-2018, 18:46   #9

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi Dennis, how'sit going? We may well be the answer to each others wants regarding sailing. I am in Tampico with a 30'Irwin I need to move. How'd ya like to come on over and give me a hand. I can also show you how everything works and how to fix things if needed 833 307 2900
Give me a call one day around 7pm...let's talk.
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico