Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 20:03   #1

Boat: 1979 Endeavour 32
Wink Training for a Dream

I don't know how to begin. I'm 37 year old straight white male, but don't hold that against me. I have been lurking on forums such as this one and checking e-bay and yacht world and all the other discount places to find hurricane salvage or other deeply discounted boats for a little over 2 years.

What I will say next is almost embarrassing considering the audience will include so many of you that are living the dream. For almost 10 years I have wanted to travel to the Caribbean and live aboard a boat. Over the years that dream has expanded and evolved. Originally I wanted to go by motor, being from the interior I never learned to sail and it seemed simplest. At one point I lived on an older 47ft motor yacht of my fathers for over a year and worked on it continuously. But I came to understand that I would never be able to afford that much fuel, so I started looking at sails. Finally the dream evolved from not only the Caribbean but to also include a circumnavigation in my life. As I said the last couple of years I've been looking for a boat and nearly bought a couple that could best be described as project boats but nothing quite seemed to fit.

Finally two pieces of advice converged for me. The first "if you want to buy a boat you need to go where they are" and the second "before buying a boat get some experience by crewing if you can" converged for me. So I've decided to post looking for an opportunity to crew. I don't have any experience sailing but, I'm good at doing what I am told. Also I have a reliable fixed monthly income and can share expenses.I am interested in learning everything I need to know to become a live aboard sailor and at every port harbor and anchorage I can look at boats for sale and see if my dream is out there.

So now that I've told you about me, it's time to list what I'm looking for.

Mostly a berth. I'm not that concerned about starting location though I'd prefer you to be near North America or somewhere I can fly to cheaply. I'm also not that concerned about destination as long as we are not sitting in a marina for weeks. I intend some day to buy 35ft+ cruiser and would want to crew on something at least 30'. That's really it.... everything else I can think of is negotiable.

SuttonCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 16:16   #2

Re: Training for a Dream

I saw on another post of an inexperienced would be crew man that several captains asked where he was and what his availability was. I'm currently in OK I'm willing to fly anywhere I can get for around 500$ to meet the boat (covers most of north America). And I am willing to sail nearly anywhere but longer voyages and round trips are preferred since I have to upfront the airfare to meet you.

Old 20-07-2018, 12:00   #3

I can figure out how to delete this. I actually got a couple of offers and I was very impressed with the site. If you're thinking about posting a volunteer crew ad, do it. However, I actually bought a boat today in Norfolk, Virginia. The owner has offered to show me how to sail it, then my shakedown cruise will be to Florida along the ICW then across the GULF to the Mississippi then all the way back to my home state of OK. Where I intend to begin upgrading it to eventually live aboard full time.

Thank you everyone for the offers of passage and training this is a terrific community.
Old 20-07-2018, 12:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

Good luck on your evolving adventure! The icw can be a great place to start shaking things down. Make sure youve got a clean fuel system before heading out.
laika is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:37   #5

Boat: Oceanis 440 sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to rwbbts

HI,,

Looking to sail to PR from MD after hurricane e season ends
Looking for crew aboard my 44ft Oceanis
Scenic route to PR , n=back in the spring to MD

rwbbts@aol.com
rwbbts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 19:22   #6

Boat: Hunter 28.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbbts View Post
HI,,

Looking to sail to PR from MD after hurricane e season ends
Looking for crew aboard my 44ft Oceanis
Scenic route to PR , n=back in the spring to MD

rwbbts@aol.com
I wouldn't hijack this thread, but OP seems done with it...

rwbbts. what timeframe would you be leaving? and does PR mean Puerto Rico?
Always wanted to dive the barrier reef there. might be a little soon for my schedule, but I want out of here before the snow flies LOL PM me.

-Scow Hound
Scow Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 17:42   #7

Boat: Westerly Fulmar,32'

Volunteers only and share in expenses.
Need 1/2 person(s) for 6 to 10 days approximately to go from Cape Coral, Fl. to northern Florida to Texas border. I use a meteorologist who advises sailors. Leave as soon as I get suitable crew. Off course we wait for weather 1st.
Respond only if interested.

tejeda is offline   Reply With Quote