Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2016, 18:04   #1

Boat: 1972 Catalina 25 ft
To do or not to do is the question at hand

Hi to all. New here to the site, so bear with me. I love it. Best one I've seen in awhile.
It has been brought to my attention that I’m living the American dream of working till death do parts with my money and being able to just relax and not give a s?*t. I don’t want to turn into Mr. Incredible stuck in the rat race and behind a desk. I promised myself that if I have to live like a bum. Then so be it (they have plenty of Iguanas running around that a man won’t go hungry, LOL). At least one thing will be for certain. I might actually be able to enjoy myself. Something that I haven’t been able to do in a very long time. I need what hair I still have left. and only want to worry about weather or not I forgot the bottle of SPF999. It's time to relax! We just retired () and now are trying to put our dreams into motion. Now by no means did we retire millioonairs or win the the Publishing Clearing House Sweepstakes. LOL Yes I know this is (or may be a bit long) but it’s me making a decision with a little help from all who could help. We bought a 1972 Catalina 25ft earlier this year. A fixer upper. Most of the work has been done, and what's left to do, we could do on the water or out in the bay. We bought her to just sail where the wind takes us. Our ultimate place of destination is Puerto Rico. Which we decided to fly and get setteled in and then deal with the boat. My question is (and yes have done a lot of research of if she could make the journey) but with very few results. Transpotating? Yes we thought about that and looked into as well. But whom we've contacted has yet to get back with us or have been ridiciosuly outragous price wise.
But what better place to ask than here and get it straight from the people that are living the dream of no shoes, no shirt, no problem! A few of you know what I’m talking about. You are the David Hasselhoff of the islands, the king of the throwns and I am the victim who got too close to the cave cliffs in Rincon. Ya’ll know. Any and all info anyone could pass on, would be very much appreciated. Websites, phone numbers or even the number to the creepy fellow down the street who could help.
I want my baby down here so we can just sail the different islands and go home for a bit before heading back out. But not willing to give my little finger for it. Only planing on taking the necessities: beach chairs, ice chest, SPF..check check check..I want my bartender to be from the islands and her body kissed by the sun. Sunny and 75 with some good people to have met and enjoy the beautiful sunsets with and just laugh at whomever farts first. (I’ll even bring the TP just in case you say OH OH) Thanks in advance to all who might have read this Moby Dick novel and replies. Even if it’s as to where I could find Miller Light on that rock.LOL
We actually thought about selling her and getting another one down here but we've decided that after all the work we have put into her, we want to keep her. It marks our time togehter as the starting point of retirement. We are fortunate we are able to do so because I'm 45 and shes 40 and there's a lot to see out there.
Please be as kind as to email me at either johnhoover747@gmail or bdaigle69@yahoo Hopefully one day really really soon I’ll be able to shake your hand, say thanks for all your help and buy you a cold one. Enjoy for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	131215   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	131216  

Name:	016 (2).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	131217   Click image for larger version

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	131218  

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	131219   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	131220  

ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 18:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: To do or not to do is the question at hand

Location? I read that word salad twice and still can not figure on the start location.

We had a 74' C27 that the PO had sailed from Tampa to PR and back. She was a nice solid boat but once in the ocean for us she was a little tender and small after a few weeks. Opted to move up to a C30. Twice the room inside.
Old 15-09-2016, 18:30   #3

Sorry. It's docked in New Orleans and want it in Puerto Rico with us.
Old 15-09-2016, 18:45   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Sail it.....make a trip out of it.....do the Bahamas.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:08   #5

My only concern from what I've read about the 25 footers is that no one has really sailed one that far on a 25ft in that much open water? And a lot say not to do it because they are to small to handle open water. Really confusing on trying hear about stories and their experiences.
Old 15-09-2016, 19:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Email sent.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 19:24   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Yes it can be done, but why?
Puerto Rico is turning into a sh!t hole.
The place is in bankruptcy and Zika is all over.
A 25' boat boat, beating into wind and weather on the way down there:
Do it you if you are 22, then it is fun..
Old 15-09-2016, 19:31   #8

We moved here and would want to finish what we started with her. My wife loves it and doesn't want to get rid of it nor do I. It has become the begining of us. And just sail the different islands down here. We have nothing else or better to do.
Old 15-09-2016, 20:25   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I guess you "Too Small" guys have never heard of Robin Lee Graham? Circled the world in a 24'er. He wasn't old enough to vote when he started his trip, 16 years old if memory serves. Back in 1965.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2016, 23:28   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I guess you "Too Small" guys have never heard of Robin Lee Graham? Circled the world in a 24'er. He wasn't old enough to vote when he started his trip, 16 years old if memory serves. Back in 1965.
Yeah, but after he finished his circumnavigation he settled in Montana. Never to set sail again! lol.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 03:20   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

If I were you, I think I'd look into selling the Catalina 25 in Louisiana and buying a suitable boat in Puerto Rico, St Thomas or the BVI. Shipping costs from the States to PR will likely be >$10K with damage possible.
Old 16-09-2016, 05:53   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

Try to sail it, get a small inflatable ding and good ground tackle. You will know if you want to keep going by the time you make Tampa and if not sell her.
Old 16-09-2016, 06:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 06:54   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I read "The Dove" when I was 12 or so. I'm sure my mom will never forget the hissy fit I threw when she said I could not go to a sailing highschool. My poor mom!
Old 16-09-2016, 08:39   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Falling in love with your boat is never smart. Given the size of the boat and your apparent experience, sailing to PR is just a bad idea. You have already learned transporting is uneconomic which leaves needlessly risking your and your lady's lives versus selling in NO or Florida and replacing after you move. To me, it is a no brainer.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote