Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 10:08   #1

Boat: PROUT 37'
Spain to Israel on 1st of June

My name is Alon, an Israeli 65 yo,and this post is update to post published here month ago.
As planed, on 10th of May me and another two crew members embarked to something that planed to be a great experience and turn out to be a total disappointment... the captain asked me to bring with him a friend as the third crew member and I didn't find any reason to refuse - big mistake that cost me a lot, and not only money. Not a single day passed without damage inflicted to the boat by these people but the straw that broke the camel's back was crossing the Biscay bay in unpleasant weather - during 4 days (out of 5) we sailed Prout catamaran against the waves that slammed her unmercifully, sometimes with winds that reached force 6 and 7, many things broke, tore and got loose, half boat flood with sea water, the two fresh water tanks filled with salty water...After arriving Camarinas in Spain they left me to pump the water from the boat and gone to the town to have a good time...when they came back at evening I ordered them to pack and leave.
So I'm now in Camarinas in need of an accredited skipper that is ready to take part in watches and crew member with some experience in sail boats.
The boat is Prout 37 2002 with good rigging and sails, ploter, ais, new vhf and portable vhf ,new antenna to gps and radio,new life raft, new epirb, auto pilot and so forth.
Can't pay the skipper any fee but there is a bonus of 4k euro after arrival to Ashqelon Marina in Israel

Flights and basic food on board covered by me. No alcohol addicted, No drug consumers,No individuals with short fuse, NO SMOKERS. Big Yes to those who's genuinely ready to take fair share in all tasks and keep smiling though. But above all, those who won't or can't take care of my boat as they would have done if she was theirs has no place on her.

This post aims of course to both genders equally.
dfwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 10:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Spain to Israel on 1st of June

Hello Alon.

That is unfortunate, given the boat is new to you and this is a grand voyage.

Let's hope the rest of your voyage to Israel will be smoother sailing.

I know of a well experienced delivery captain I will suggest contact you.
And I am available to assist too. I will send you a PM with more details.

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 10:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Not sure if I can make 1-Jun, but I may be interested in this also. Could you explain how salt water got into the drinking water tanks? Is there a current survey?

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 13:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spain to Israel on 1st of June

If you'd care to discuss possibilities drop me a PM.. be advised the Western Med will involve a fair bit of motoring and mainly Easterlies.. unless your not in a rush.
Link to site in picture below.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 23:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Not sure if I can make 1-Jun, but I may be interested in this also. Could you explain how salt water got into the drinking water tanks? Is there a current survey?

Thanks
Well, I could think of 3 reasons to the mishap, 1. leak from inlets on deck which were without ring rubber sealers, 2. unseald 6 20 cm lids to the tanks and 3. crack in the tanks body. by now and after fixing the first two faults ( apart from on water level sensor that leak extensively and will be replaced or canceled today ) it seems that things are good.
Old 25-05-2017, 18:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you'd care to discuss possibilities drop me a PM.. be advised the Western Med will involve a fair bit of motoring and mainly Easterlies.. unless your not in a rush.
Link to site in picture below.
Dear Boatman61
Working so hard to fix the damages and improve bad things that revealed during the cross leaves me little time to sit in front of the laptop screen, please accept my apologize for delayed answer.
As a fresh member in this forum I don't know anything about the hierarchy here but some good people wrote me that you are the best choice for me and I have no reason to think they are wrong... but they did wrong, not because you are not the best skipper to lead me home which is apparently indisputable fact but because financialwise I don't have any other alternative but the one I define in my ad - which is an insult when put against what you can bring. I've taken full responsibility for my mistakes and miscalculation that render me to where I am now and I'm the only one who has to pay the price for that.
So, I guess I'll have to give up having you with me.
All the best
Alon
Old 26-05-2017, 15:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Spain to Israel on 1st of June

Hi Alon..
Thanks for the reply.. sorry that your experiences to date have been negative ones.. hope your repairs go well.
Wishing you all the best for the rest of your adventure..
Phil.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 13:48   #8

Shalom Alon!

My name is Avi. I am an American/Israeli with many years sailing experience. Not so many on Cats but some Tris and mostly Monohulls. Your planned trip sounds great to me although I have some concern about the boat.

I'm looking to buy a boat before October of this year and currently live in San Diego, California. I welcome a conversation with you if you still have need of crew.

Avi
andrewgealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 01:04   #9

Hello, I'm Jacob, have little sailing experience but have owned 3 small sailboats in the past. (Sabot to 22 footer). consider my self a novice and looking to gain more experience. Your trip sound interesting. I'm just looking for a sailing adventure. Can pay my own expenses and not interested on the bonus at the end of the journey. I'm available starting the 1st of July. I'm 36 years old and base in San Diego.

If possible lets talk. Cheers
jdr1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 03:13   #10

Hi Jacob
Thanks for your response.
By 1st of July I hope to see Greece Islands... but who knows
All the best
Alon
Old 30-05-2017, 03:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgealt View Post
Shalom Alon!

My name is Avi. I am an American/Israeli with many years sailing experience. Not so many on Cats but some Tris and mostly Monohulls. Your planned trip sounds great to me although I have some concern about the boat.

I'm looking to buy a boat before October of this year and currently live in San Diego, California. I welcome a conversation with you if you still have need of crew.

Avi
Hi Avi
Sorry it took me a while to answer but you should see me work like if the Satan is on my tail, to understand.
Being an Israeli (even if former) makes it easy for me to speak without the chains of politically correct and "sorry for being hit by you"... having you with me could be nice but in my current financial condition I prefer people from the vicinity to reduce flight expenses.
As to the boat condition I won't ******** you with "smoch alaay" but I think she is in a better condition now comparing to her state when leaving England and in any case she have never been in hazard situation, even during the 4 dreadful day in the crossing.
All the best
Alon
Old 30-05-2017, 05:09   #12

Dear forum members
I'm happy to tell that position of captain is now filled.
Still in need of the third crew member.
Thank you all
Alon
Old 30-05-2017, 08:29   #13

I understand. But know that the airfare was not an issue. I have not been to the "Eretz" in a long time I love the Med Sea. Timing is really the only issue.
andrewgealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 09:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgealt View Post
I understand. But know that the airfare was not an issue. I have not been to the "Eretz" in a long time I love the Med Sea. Timing is really the only issue.
Hey Avi
I'm happy to hear that airfare isn't an issue for you but I'm a bit confused as to the timing issue, what do you mean ?
I'm fully understand that leaving everything and going to a voyage which could last even two months isn't an easy thing but I can't wait any longer, the captain and myself are going to leave Camarinas on this Saturday with or without a third member...
Best wishes
Alon
Old 30-05-2017, 21:17   #15

Hello Alon, any chance I can join you guys on the 1st or second of july? to bad the timing is off since I get off from work on june 30th. In case you guys change your departure or have a long stay at another port, please let me know. jdr1033 at gmail.
Cheers!
jdr1033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Israel, Spain