Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 16:50   #1

So new I squeak

I'm looking for opportunities to sail and learn and am willing to contribute to the ship's kitty for the opportunity. I'm looking for something 30+ days into the future to allow for discussion, plane tickets, and arrangements.

Aside from ski & fishing boats and a few cruises, I have no experience on the water. So, of course, at 58, I decide I want to learn to sail to expand my travelings. Since I retired in 2012, I've covered almost 200,000 miles by plane and lots of road trips (my last was from Austin, Tx to Tuktoyaktuk, NWT). I was looking at future trips and realized how much simpler, and hopefully better, they would be by sea than flying over everything below.

I'm currently prepping for my ASA 101 class on 12/22 with videos, reading articles, and pre-reading the materials for the class. The think I'm missing is time on the water. I'm planning a trip down South America and would love to sail there as crew but I'm working on getting skills and knowledge so I won't be more trouble than I'm worth.

So if you're open to taking on a neophyte, swapping tales (not all tall), and passing some horizons, I'll hope to hear from you.

Thanks for your time.

Bob
(Out of Austin, Tx)

PvilleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:57   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: So new I squeak

Welcome aboard Bob! Hope you find a good connection, that is a good skipper, to take you on! I always recommend finding a good delivery skipper; worked for me! Sounds like you have the right temperament for the job: willing to learn, open to new things, and not easily panicked by a little discomfort... it's always good to approach it with a good dose of humility. It's difficult to work with someone who thinks they know it all already and their way is the only right way. Pretty soon you have all sorts of strange knots popping up around the boat!
Best of luck to you!

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 19:11   #3

Thank you, Don. What else is one to do after "retirement"? I jumped ship on my career early so I'd have time to enjoy traveling, doing inner work, and checking out off my bucket list. I've learned to enjoy my discomfort so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead during a month or two away from land. It's going to be quite an adventure.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:29   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Hey Bob, I too punched out early...18 years ago now! As far as what to do in "retirement", I joke that I stay really busy for an unemployeed white guy and that I need clones because there is just too much to see, do, and learn (we just returned from a 3 month trip to Austrailia, New Zealand, and Nepal...now its time to get the boat ready for cruising season...which will be interrupted by a Pacific crossing...somewhere in here we need to finish the house we built in Panama...and finish renovating my old Jeep Cherokee....geez...all this has me booked solid well into 2019....I need clones!)

If you are a self motivator with a curious nature then you will be overwhelmed in "retirement".
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:17   #5

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Bob,

We all were new and squeaking....every one of us. Thar aint no free lunch and the sea does not love you and she will not tolerate any ignorance or indifference .

Suggest that you also take ' on the water' sailing lessons ( basic, intermediate and advanced and beyond ) with a certified organization , ASA, or a highly recommended sailing school . Learn from the pros. Our sailing club as not ASA certified, but they had not been thought of back then. However, ASA cert sailing , on board classes are available. That comes with a suggestion to check them out as ' not all of those ' certified schools ' have the same quality instruction.

Then, get in some sea time as skipper with a sailing club renting a boat for coastal overnight trips and longer. Keep a log every time that you go out sailing or power boating. Proof of sea time . Stay open minded and never stop learning . And , beware of the bragging warfrats with shortcuts .

Also, by sailing several different vessles, you will have a good idea of what boat is right for you when in comes to purchasing a vessel of your own.

After putting in all that study and work and actual sailing time , now you actually have some experience and would be a viable and useful and helpful crew. To me that is very important. Crew on a delivery boat should experienced and helpful, not a burden to a delivery skipper who needs you to handle the responsibilities and have some knowledge and seaman ship in order to be depended on .

And, with structured classes that are organized . and well planned, and even demanding, you will be able to present yourself as an asset to the skipper and the vessel itself for which he is responsible.....

All of the instructors at our Newport Sailing Club had put in their sea time to qualify to sit, and attain their USCG 100 ton Licenses . That was 720 days documented sea time just to apply and sit for the written exam. ( took me five years ).

Point being, those actually qualified instructors have gained a lot of experience and should have a wealth of knowledge, leadership skills, and be fully dedicated to teach what they know to you .

Now, this is just my personal outlook , and others will have different ideas.

Even with all of the study, written tests, on the water sailing lessons, boat systems, marlin spike seamanship, marine weather, fog procedures, coastal piloting and navigation, check outs, etc., etc., and skippering on your own , you will then have a better chance of crewing on delivery boats, or letting go docklines, and sailing off to tropical islands .

Make yourself an asset that a skipper can count on. Not a liability that he has to watch you every second. He , or she, also needs you to be able to perform all required duties, watch standing, and keeping the passage , crew and the vessel safe.

Or not, lots of different ideas on this subject..... you are blessed with making your own choice.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 20:42   #6

I appreciate your response. I have no romantic illusions about the sea. I am going to be doing a lot of on-the-water training but first, I want to be sure this is something I am going to like enough to spend the time and money getting all the necessary training. For the moment, I'm shooting for a passing familiarity through the ASA 101, which does have a coastal component since I'm taking it near Houston, and opportunities to get bossed around to help those lessons sink home. Once I've got a bit of experience, I'll buy a little day-sailer to practice with nearer to home. I know it's going to take a long time to obtain proficiency so I won't be rushing in over my head.
Old 11-12-2018, 22:14   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvilleBob View Post
For the moment, I'm shooting for a passing familiarity through the ASA 101, which does have a coastal component since I'm taking it near Houston, and opportunities to get bossed around to help those lessons sink home.
Bob welcome from a fellow Texan. What sailing school in Houston? We are power boaters but am expanding to sailing. Just signed up the family up for the 101 course with South Coast Sailing Adventures in Kemah. Good luck to you Sir!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 22:20   #8

ShellBack89, I'm going to South Coast as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bob.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 13:19   #10

Thanks GordMay.
Old 02-01-2019, 20:59   #11

Update: I had it all worked out. I found a skipper who was going to take me on from La Paz, Mexico to the Caribbean. In preparation, I signed up for a liveaboard class in La Paz in the middle of this month and have made arrangements for the next 4 months. I just found out that my skipper had to cancel the trip which leaves me in La Paz without a follow up opportunity to put all I learned in the class into practice. If you're heading south towards Panama, or even further, and need a hand, I'm available and can easily travel to connect.
Old 27-01-2019, 15:30   #12

I just completed my ASA 101, 103, and 104 certs in Jan 2019 so now I think I'll be more useful on trips in the future. I'm heading to South America for the next 6 weeks but will be looking for sailing opportunities in late May through the summer.

Thanks for all the great input.