Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2017, 03:53   #16

Re: Skipper wanted for Ketch 50f > Jan to March 2018 East Africa

Hi, the East Africa Pilot by Delwyn McPhun is regarded as the best, as it focuses between Kenya and Durban.

Rod Heikell's Indian Ocean Cruising Guide covers a vast expanse and fine if one is making a trans-passage

However, as a note, I quote "Imray, Laurie, Norie and Wilson believe that their selection is a useful aid to prudent navigation but the safety of a vessel depends
ultimately on the judgment of the navigator who should assess all information, published and unpublished, available to him or her".

Personally, the East Africa Pilot, with the use of appropriate scaled charts, I would be happy with.

Regards, Martin

Old 12-10-2017, 03:58   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

[QUOTE=Ahooi;2497421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

I've got the imray East Africa Pilot for the area. Do you know the book? Does it make sense to buy imray indian ocean if East Africa is the focus?
i met delwyn mcphun,and elaine morgan when they were doing the research for the original 1st edition indian ocean pilot in 96-97,in mayotte where we were based out of on our yacht.

i had not realised that delwyn had published the more in depth east africa guide
so to answer your question,the EA pilot should be sufficient for your immediate needs,but i do reccomend getting the 2nd edition 2007,Indian Ocean guide updated by rod heikel if going further afield ,or any more recent publication as information does become dated quickly in the area.

where is the yacht based out of?,we have a few friends in Dar that might be able to help with current info on tanzania

i'm in contact with Delwyn on facebook,so if you have any specific questions i can ask him,although he lives in new caledonia now.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:10   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ahooi.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 03:17   #19

[QUOTE=atoll;2497453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahooi View Post

i met delwyn mcphun,and elaine morgan when they were doing the research for the original 1st edition indian ocean pilot in 96-97,in mayotte where we were based out of on our yacht.

i had not realised that delwyn had published the more in depth east africa guide
so to answer your question,the EA pilot should be sufficient for your immediate needs,but i do reccomend getting the 2nd edition 2007,Indian Ocean guide updated by rod heikel if going further afield ,or any more recent publication as information does become dated quickly in the area.

where is the yacht based out of?,we have a few friends in Dar that might be able to help with current info on tanzania

i'm in contact with Delwyn on facebook,so if you have any specific questions i can ask him,although he lives in new caledonia now.
Thanks, I'm based in Mombasa.
Old 13-10-2017, 03:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ahooi.
Thank you. Before I joined this forum I did an evaluation on sailing forums - I'm happy to confirm CF is the best. Thanks to the great community!
Old 13-10-2017, 03:40   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Ahooi;2498177]
Quote:

Thanks, I'm based in Mombasa.
i'm guessing the boat is in mtwapa creek,we stopped a few times at the yacht club in mombassa, the club was getting pretty run down,and security was not good in the anchorage.nice club though and friendly members
Old 13-10-2017, 04:55   #22

Gee! My first visit to the yacht club in Mombasa was in January 1966, before going down to Beira. A young 17 yr old learning about the Ocean!
Old 13-10-2017, 05:24   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoema View Post
Gee! My first visit to the yacht club in Mombasa was in January 1966, before going down to Beira. A young 17 yr old learning about the Ocean!
those were its heydays i think,i/we stopped there in 82, 96,2001 and 2006,and noticed marked differences in upkeep,the drying out wall had almost totally disintegrated,though you could still get a good sausage,egg and chips at the club house with a cold beer in the company of alchoholics annomous
Old 13-10-2017, 05:36   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Atoll, you mentioned you spend cyclone seasons in the Tanzania, Kenya region. Have you gone south again from there ie. Mayotte, Madagascar? If so how difficult is that trip early in the SE season?
Also I'm confused, do we get a predominately of NW or NE monsoon in this part of the world? I read conflicted information regarding this.
I was under the impression NE above the equator and NW below, being more variable the closer you are to the equator?
Old 13-10-2017, 06:22   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Atoll, you mentioned you spend cyclone seasons in the Tanzania, Kenya region. Have you gone south again from there ie. Mayotte, Madagascar? If so how difficult is that trip early in the SE season?
Also I'm confused, do we get a predominately of NW or NE monsoon in this part of the world? I read conflicted information regarding this.
I was under the impression NE above the equator and NW below, being more variable the closer you are to the equator?
during the NE monsoon you get fine weather aprox dec-april in the northern part of the indian ocean to the lattitude of about dar es salaam.

south of that along the ITCZ you have the NW monsoon with light winds ,squally weather and cyclones in the southern hemisphere aprox nov-april

transition period is may when the SElies start blowing again up the mozambique channel to about southern tanzania,and across the top end of madagasgar/seychells .

at the same time in april-may the wind and current in the north indian ocean to about the lat of zanzibar switches round to the SW,and progressivly gets stronger blowing at 35-40 knots by aug-sept.

this is also the time where the ITCZ is narrowest with SE winds reaching north of the equator between the top end of mada and tanzania.
going east in may from DAR to MADA,can be quite a bash! as 35knots is not uncommon especially between mada and seychells,you also have about 1.5 knots of current against you.

some people try to hop down the coast to northern mozambique and head east from there as winds are generally lighter in the mozambique channel,with more calms,with stops in the comores and mayotte before heading to Nose Be' .

along the west coast of MADA at this time of year you a generally sheltered from the full force of the SE trades with land breeze,sea breeze alternating as the land heats up and cools down at night,as far south as tuliare where you get the SE trades again.
most people leave from there in october who are heading for south africa with landfall at richards bay or durban before cyclone season starts in november.

fairly complex weather due to the mozambique channel and large landmass of mada.

generally the calmer weather is found in the transition months of april-may and september -october either side of the equator
Old 15-10-2017, 02:22   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

i just noticed your location is seychells,i hope post#25 answered your question re SE winds
referring to the NW monsoon,this is basically the area occupied by the ITCZ during nov-april from about 5N to 5S,and reaches all the way across to indonesia,some yachts use it to get to chagos and malaysia from mada during those months.
Old 15-10-2017, 06:45   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
i just noticed your location is seychells,i hope post#25 answered your question re SE winds
referring to the NW monsoon,this is basically the area occupied by the ITCZ during nov-april from about 5N to 5S,and reaches all the way across to indonesia,some yachts use it to get to chagos and malaysia from mada during those months.
Hi Atoll, thanks for your reply. I arrived in the Seychelles approximately one mth ago, and don't want to head south to Richards bay this year as it would be a rush. Plan is to stay in the Seychelles until May unless I can come up with a alternative, ie Tanzania, but I'm concerned it will be a real slog to get to Madagascar may/June next year from there. Thought about maybe heading back to Chagos then to the Maldives, come January head up the red sea but the pirate thing has become a little active again this year.... Just trying to think of options.
Old 17-10-2017, 10:17   #28

As someone who lived in Africa for almost 30 years be very careful about the type of malaria medication you carry. Many mosquitos tend to carry resistant malaria. Understand what a loading dose is and how to administer. Carry lots of medication and hide in different locations on boat to reduce chance of theft.
If you do not manage malaria well people could die in 24 hours. Also symptoms can be the same for cholera and Salmonella. You will have to decide to take medication as more often than not you will be in a location where prompt testing not possible. Remember of the 4 types of malaria falciparum can kill you in 24 hours if not treated.
I spend most of my time in West Africa and carry Malarone, enough for one treatment and loading does. I do not know what drug is best for east coast but make sure you research it well.
Old 17-10-2017, 10:26   #29

Information well received, thanks.

OT: Ardbeg, well I'm a Committee Member of Ardbeg! You must have had a dram or two of it for sure
Old 17-10-2017, 10:39   #30

Katoema: Absolutely, I am a committee member also. And my boat is called Ardbeg. Always have a dram on board and have visited distillery 2x.

Tags
wanted, skipper, arc, ketch, Africa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: