Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2017, 12:48   #1

Single 43yo female to crew

Let's get the obvious out of the way.... Yes, I'm single and NO, I'm not here to date. ;-) PLEASE don't be "that guy" looking to trade favors for sailing....

Currently in Ft Lauderdale, FL but willing to go wherever the wind blows!

Finished the certs for bareboat mono/cat chartering (ASA 101/103/104/114) in February and am looking for crew positions to gain experience and better my sailing skills, as well as really wanting to check out all the cool parts of this amazing planet!

Sailing experience:
1 week aboard 40' Lagoon, 110nm Ft Lauderdale>Biscayne Bay. Took turns on helm with 3 other crew.

2 weeks aboard 46' Moody, 275nm St Petersburg>Marathon Key. Capt said it was the first time he EVER felt comfortable turning the helm over and napping - I think it was mine about 70% of the time after day 2. Longest day: 17hrs, 110nm. Several days spent in 15-20mph wind, 4-6' seas, 20-30* heel.

Sailing gigs could either be on the "no-frills/ tight schedule/ delivery" scenario or more of a "leisurely/ no schedule/ vacation mode" kind of thing - or anywhere in between. I may like looking like a girly-girl but have no problem getting dirty and working my ass off.

My schedule is very flexible and can accommodate just about any situation if all the other factors line up. I'm not looking for paid positions but do expect all on-board costs to be covered (travel to/from the boat would be appreciated!).

I'm quite a capable cook/stew (would actually prefer to be allowed to take the lead on provisioning). I have a US Passport and clean driver's license, am a non-smoker/social drinker, no criminal background, am fit and healthy. I'm a quick study with a sincere desire to travel and immerse myself in the sailing world!

Professionally - I'm currently on sabbatical from teaching yoga and practicing Reiki and Yoga Nidra (meditation). Prior to that, a Regional Developer/Franchise Owner for fitness studios in 2 states and the owner/operator for administrative services consulting business.

Check out FB: /a.r.weiss.7 and IG: arlee.weiss to learn more about me!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:26   #2

Re: Single 43yo female to crew

I have a 49 foot sailboat in Ft. Lauderdale. I am sailing to Annapolis end of June. Its about a one week trip. What is your availability?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:43   #3

I have chartered a 2016 Nautitech Open 46 from Oct 7-14 with a skipper / Instructor from Pula, Croatia. I am similar to you. I have limited sailing experience and I am planning to buy a cat. If you have interest in sharing expenses + persomal attention from the instructor + oppotunity to equally be hands on sailing the boat let me know. The total cost for everything on the boat not including food will be $1500 each per person. There will be no more than 4 crew + 1 skipper. Each crew member will have have his own private cabin and head. The skipper will sleep in a crew cabin. The trip will have a balance of learning + fun + equal shared responsibility to sail the boat + equal share of duties onboard. If you have interest, let me know and we can discuss further. Regards, P. Augustus
Old 01-07-2017, 04:24   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Capn D.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Post a profile as Crew on ablemariners.com.
Old 05-08-2017, 13:39   #6

You sound like a good crew member. I sail south from Canada to the Bahamas every year, leaving NS Oct 1, visiting friends in five locations on my way south, and arriving in the Bahamas by January. I leave for Canada again at the end of March for a May arrival. I am retired and on a pension, so live somewhat frugally. Let me know if you are interested in joining me, either for just the sailing part, or to enjoy the Bahamas as well.
Old 07-10-2017, 14:03   #7

Did you find a Berth yet?
Sailing Los Angeles to La Paz shortly.
VERY leisurely cruise - total vacation mode...
Old 03-01-2018, 17:11   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlee2.0 View Post
Let's get the obvious out of the way.... Yes, I'm single and NO, I'm not here to date. ;-) PLEASE don't be "that guy" looking to trade favors for sailing....
This is going to be a problem when it comes to reverse psychology. Planting this idea in their head before going sailing with them spells big trouble.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa36 View Post
This is going to be a problem when it comes to reverse psychology. Planting this idea in their head before going sailing with them spells big trouble.
Umm, actually no. It's cleared up a lot of potential misunderstandings BEFORE stepping foot on a boat and finding out that the capt has already packed a suitcase of lingerie that he expects me to wear for him...
Old 10-01-2018, 12:04   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Don't care.

Quote:
I'm quite a capable cook/stew (would actually prefer to be allowed to take the lead on provisioning).
You have to earn your way up to that on my boats. *grin* Food is important. Google for "A Delivery Skipper Cooks."

I'm an active delivery skipper. Mostly US East Coast/Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean. If you want to get on my crew email list just send an email to auspiciousdeliveries-subscribe@lists.skolnick.org . You should get a confirmation email back with a link to confirm. No cost to be on the list.

Being on the list is no guarantee of a billet. You just get all the opportunity emails. Follow the directions (generally just a good sailing resume) and I'll get back to you. First cut get a phone interview that may or may not include the owner, depending on his or her preference. All expenses paid on board including C&I.

If you have concerns about gender I can introduce you to other women who have crewed for me. I run equal opportunity boats. Same expectations of everyone.

All crew are expected to be clear about what they want to learn - I commit to spending time on whatever subject matter you are most interested in. Crew have called sailing with me "graduate school for cruising."
Old 10-01-2018, 13:37   #11

Quote:
Umm, actually no. It's cleared up a lot of potential misunderstandings BEFORE stepping foot on a boat and finding out that the capt has already packed a suitcase of lingerie that he expects me to wear for him...
Lingerie from where?

Seriously, though, how did you get out of the situation?
Old 10-01-2018, 14:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa36 View Post
Lingerie from where?

Seriously, though, how did you get out of the situation?
I didn't check the labels to see where he purchased the lingerie. lol As for getting out of it, I was fortunate that he's just arrogant/entitled rather than physically forceful.

I had the "I'm not looking to date" stuff in the first line of my profile. It was then reiterated multiple times in our texts. I spent a good 3 minutes of our first phone call being very explicit that I was not interested in any sort of dating, quid pro quo sex-for-sailing, etc. I brought the topic up twice during our face-to-face meeting. I cannot fathom how much more clear I could have been. Nobody wants uncomfortable situations (or flat out fistfights because that's what it'd take to 'have his way') when we're basically depending on each other for survival at sea (me moreso than him because of experience).

The first three days were ok - just a few random compliments that were a bit aggressive in tone but checked easily enough. Around day 4-5 he became much more handsy after our sundowner - which led me to cut him off by chucking the bottle of rum overboard. A strained few days with terse, minimal communication followed. 2 nights before I was due to depart there was a bit of a meltdown on his side... Why would I get on his boat if I WASN'T interested in f**king him?! How could I NOT be attracted to him when he's SOOO attractive, fit, smart, handy?! (This truly flabbergasted him. To his credit, he is fit for the 60+yo that he is even though he said he was low 50's, and he is very smart and handy, but anyway) Why would I NOT want to be his girlfriend when we had SOO much in common (which is just sailing)?! OF COURSE I had said what I'd said about not being interested, but that was BEFORE I'd spent time with him! I was just saying that because that's what ALL girls say so men don't think we're sluts!

It was at this point he pulled the giant duffle bag of lingerie out from his cabin and started holding up items... See? These fishnets would look great on you! And this... This should fit you perfectly, I have an eye for these things! You really don't want to wear this? You could bring me a drink in this outfit. These thigh highs go great with heels, but you didn't bring any, did you? Really? You really don't want to wear these?

Fortunately, I have a pretty level head and thick skin. I just stayed calm and kept repeating myself about ALL the times I'd been clear about my intentions and that he'd AGREED with me regarding it and this behavior/expectation was not acceptable. Like I said, just arrogant and entitled but luckily not physically forceful...
Old 10-01-2018, 14:41   #13

Auspicious~

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely follow up!
Old 10-01-2018, 15:20   #14

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Auspicious~

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely follow up!
Sure. On behalf of my gender I apologize for your experiences. Golly. Just ... jeepers. I have plenty of sailing stories but not like that. No one has ever asked ME to wear lingerie since college and that was for Rocky Horror. I did rock those heels. *grin*

Just to be entirely clear there are no pink and blue jobs on my boats. Everyone is expected to pitch in and do everything. Don't fall asleep on watch, wake me if uncertain about anything, respect the boat, and be considerate of fellow crew members.

If you do bubble to the top of an opportunity we can talk about provisioning. You could help. *grin* Too many bad food experiences to let go easily. I'm a serious Harold McGee guy on delivery.

Heading off shortly to the Bahamas and working on my provisioning list. I do share. Since you are on Facebook you might drop in on Cooking on a Boat!

If you have questions just email me directly.

By the way the offer to join my crew list (above) is open to anyone on CF. No guarantee of a slot, just a commitment that opportunities will be promoted on my email list first. No cost to join the list. I also use OPO, CF, SN, and some other fora but my list always gets the first shot.

I don't care about gender, race, ethnicity, or pretty much anything else except having good judgment. That of course is a thread in itself. *grin*
Old 10-01-2018, 18:47   #15

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Why don't you buy a boat?
Closed Thread

Tags
crew, single