Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 19:47   #1

Seattle to Florida in Stages

Need crew/help to go south this fall. Heading for Panama and Florida in stages. Boat is 30 ft cruising catamaran which has crossed the Atlantic. You provide your travel and I will provide the boat, food etc etc. Stages are negotiable. Experience would be helpful and good health is essential. Have one double cabin available; the boat has two cabins, saloon, galley, head/shower etc. If you would like to know more please email a response to this add.

Phone: 425 424 2173
Old 01-08-2014, 20:11   #2

Re: Seattle to Florida in stages

Hey can you tell us about whoever else will be on board? When will you be leaving and do you have an idea on a timeline? Can you tell us a little bit more about the typical day to day?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:16   #3

Hi
I am planning to leave mid September and currently I am single handing it. I have a spare double cabin.

Its difficult to have a precise timeline but I estimate 3 months for the trip assuming no break downs and no extended stops for weather and sight seeing.

The rhumb line total distance is approx 5500 nm.

I would like to have someone to watch keep, 6 hrs on and 6 hrs off if there are 2 of us and to help with some meal preparation. Notionally the legs would be Seattle to SanFrancisco, then to LA/San Diego, to Cabo, to Accapulco, to Costa Rica, to Panama, to Gran Caman, to Florida. But its worth noting that a lot will change enroute and, at this point anything we say is only approximate.

Regards

Eric
Old 02-08-2014, 18:32   #4

Will you be going ashore at all besides the necessary supplies? Can you tell us more about your typical day to day? Expenses?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycityxx View Post
Will you be going ashore at all besides the necessary supplies? Can you tell us more about your typical day to day? Expenses?
I am open to suggestions. Obviously I have a long way to go and can't linger too long anywhere. Also I don't want to go south of Cabo in the hurricane season. While at sea the boat will go 24/7 and usually for a week at a time. Tiredness is an issue and taking a few day off here and there would be nice. I am attaching a file which has the notional plan. Call me if you are interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Everett to Stuart milage.pdf (215.9 KB, 122 views)
Old 07-08-2014, 21:59   #6

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric42p View Post
Also I don't want to go south of Cabo in the hurricane season.
You might want to re-thing that. Or maybe you were not writing precisely. Just ignore the following if this is stuff you already know.

You do not want to be south of San Diego or Ensenada until November 1 or October 21 at the earliest.

Cabo is a horrible place to be in a hurricane. There is no possible anchorage available and slips will run about $2/foot/night for a mono-hull.

There are no safe hurricane anchorages along the west coast of the Baja Penninsula south of Ensenada and there is a long history of October hurricanes and tropical storms along the Baja west coast.

I was doing a delivery of a 65' sailboat from Seattle to St Croix a few years ago. Got to San Diego in early October and the owner insisted on pushing on despite many warnings. I refused to continue as captain and left the boat in San Diego.

The boat suffered serious damage when hit by a hurricane the third week of October between Cabo San Lucas and Manzanillo.
Old 07-08-2014, 23:36   #7

I would rethink the 6 hour watches. Four ok but 3 seems best for 2 up.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 07-08-2014, 23:48   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

Cabo is a horrible place to be in a hurricane. There is no possible anchorage available and slips will run about $2/foot/night for a mono-hull. ...

Old 12-08-2014, 06:43   #9

Re: Seattle to Florida in Stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric42p View Post
Need crew/help to go south this fall. Heading for Panama and Florida in stages. Boat is 30 ft cruising catamaran which has crossed the Atlantic. You provide your travel and I will provide the boat, food etc etc. Stages are negotiable. Experience would be helpful and good health is essential. Have one double cabin available; the boat has two cabins, saloon, galley, head/shower etc. If you would like to know more please email a response to this add.

Phone: 425 424 2173
Hello everyone,
I had great replies to my message/crew wanted above and now have sufficient offers of help.
Thanks
Eric
Old 23-09-2014, 10:29   #10

Hey there. I may be interested and meet your requirements. Am 50+, in good shape. I am female but worked as a carpenter and have some mechanic skills.
Cotton
Bhodeitrue(at) yahoo dot com
Ps. Am concerned about the hurricane factor. Been through a couple on land but only rough storms in the harbor at sea. If you haven't left yet and are interested, email me. Also have rudimentary medical skills
Old 23-09-2014, 10:41   #11

Also, any one out their knowing of a boat sitting gig, I am interested. I have a small income but am trying to save money for another motorcycle. Am dependable and responsible. I do smoke cigarettes but keep it mostly up top.
Clear skies and fair winds.
Cotton
Bhodeitrue(at)yahoo dot com
Old 25-09-2014, 08:57   #12

Boat: beneteau oceanis 46

hi my name is Mario, I have a 46 beneteau in so col would like to throw my name in for a passage . from here going farther. when are you gonna pass san diego? im 61 in great health, great cook ,owned my own restaurant. have all the certifications . retired. email mjeffery04@yahoo.com

Tags
florida, seattle