Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 13:48   #16

Boat: Homebuilt--my second, mostly complete. 49' cat
pirate Re: Seas the day- Crew Available- Single Female

Hi there _GypsySoul_, (or should I say "ahoy there"---does anyone say ahoy anymore?)

I am presently watching the snow come down (about 12 inches so far) here in Rome, NY as I wait to work on my 50 foot twin masted, junk rigged, catamaran luxury yacht. Looking to get back to the liveaboard lifestyle. Splashing into the waters near Oneida Lake in May. Inside work to complete after that. 50 feet is a lot to handle, singlehanded.

I'm just 60 years old, early retirement, and the boat is self-designed and self-built. I, too, am something of a novice, but my ropes are a bit different than any other boat out there. We could master them together.

Headed for the Atlantic when the weather is better. Long term is the Caribbean (I hear talk that the Virgins are great for diving). Very long term is the South Atlantic Ocean, maybe all the way south.

Pictures of the S/V Time Lord are on my Fb page. Search for "Philip F Stone in Rome NY" (one "L" in Philip or you will get a singer in the midwest). Kawia digital piano also on board, if you are interested. I'm Veggie, but not evangelical about it. Fish, sometimes. Two cats on board, too.

How are you with a paintbrush or other tools?---LOL

I hope your search for a boat goes well.

Philip
Philip St1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 17:15   #17

Re: Seas the day- Crew Available- Single Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
lol I was asking the OP. But good to know where you are as well. I am in Tampa/St Pete FL. If you make it around this marble I have a couple adult beverages waiting...

lol good stuff.....I'm actually down in Naples Florida, not far from you
_GypsySoul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 19:41   #18

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Happy birthday (though several days late) Gypsy Soul.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:01   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Welcome to CF!
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:29   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Ahoy!

I'm confused...are you looking for a berth or a husband...I think both are available here....
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 03:21   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark has crew positions open for a six week circumnavigation of Denmark. Departing from The Netherlands July 17th and returning to The Netherlands six weeks later.

This invitation goes out to all CF members. For more details, PM me.

Sail training is offered, don't know about diving in the Baltic...

This link is to a video a crew made on Skylark's trip to the Channel Islands (UK) in 2015.

Short video of Skylark's vacation:
https://vimeo.com/133183259
Password: SkylarkNY
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 04:53   #22

Good for you Gypsy. Getting on a boat with people you don't know well will be quite the experience. You may discover wonderful souls you completely click with or the reverse... people who you find insufferable for any number of reasons. The problem is that boats are small and out there you just can't get off! This is mostly related to a offshore passage or a long term commitment.

To me it's odd that a sailor with a cruising yacht NEEDS crew..., ie they don't have what is needed to voyage. Of course wanting some interesting company is a human condition.

If I were in your shoes I would look for day sail and maybe some weeked opportunities.... Not sure how that would work in Naples... But if you were situated in a popular cruising ground like Newport RI or maybe Camden ME... you could easily hook up with many great sailors and sail to some lovely anchorages. But it's cold water diving! So you can't have it all!

You would have to relocate... get a job probably and there are lots of summer jobs in Newport for example... including working on boats and in restaurants. There are several yacht clubs and once you get an in as a reliable person... I wouldn't be surprised that you would be offered crew positions. And there is a robust racing community.

Jumping on a boat to Hawaii seems not a great idea for someone in your position. Maybe a crew on a boat sailing along the New England coast?

You decide.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 09:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Skylark has crew positions open for a six week circumnavigation of Denmark. Departing from The Netherlands July 17th and returning to The Netherlands six weeks later.

This invitation goes out to all CF members. For more details, PM me.

Sail training is offered, don't know about diving in the Baltic...

This link is to a video a crew made on Skylark's trip to the Channel Islands (UK) in 2015.

Short video of Skylark's vacation:

https://vimeo.com/133183259

Password: SkylarkNY

Nice video!
Old 15-03-2017, 09:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Good for you Gypsy. Getting on a boat with people you don't know well will be quite the experience. You may discover wonderful souls you completely click with or the reverse... people who you find insufferable for any number of reasons. The problem is that boats are small and out there you just can't get off! This is mostly related to a offshore passage or a long term commitment.

To me it's odd that a sailor with a cruising yacht NEEDS crew..., ie they don't have what is needed to voyage. Of course wanting some interesting company is a human condition.

If I were in your shoes I would look for day sail and maybe some weeked opportunities.... Not sure how that would work in Naples... But if you were situated in a popular cruising ground like Newport RI or maybe Camden ME... you could easily hook up with many great sailors and sail to some lovely anchorages. But it's cold water diving! So you can't have it all!

You would have to relocate... get a job probably and there are lots of summer jobs in Newport for example... including working on boats and in restaurants. There are several yacht clubs and once you get an in as a reliable person... I wouldn't be surprised that you would be offered crew positions. And there is a robust racing community.

Jumping on a boat to Hawaii seems not a great idea for someone in your position. Maybe a crew on a boat sailing along the New England coast?

You decide.

Thank you for your suggestions however, as I said in my post..I'm just throwing a line out there to see opportunities. I've had my share of living in small spaces and don't mind at all. I am gaining more experience down here as I sit and wait for summer to come along. I also wouldn't just jump on a boat with just anyone, I'm kind of a planner. I'm looking for something in summer not tomorrow, gives plenty of time to chat with people. Xo
Old 18-03-2017, 10:52   #25

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Hello,

Not what you said you were specifically looking for, but if you're a planner. . . . .

Will be leaving my boat in Grenada for the hurricane season then go back sometime in October. Come Novermber 1, or so, will start meandering north for the winter. Am sure I'll get at least to St Maarten, and maybe to the BVI's.

If next winter is on your radar, let me know. If we decide to discuss further will want to do a video call at some point. I've found it is much better than email or voice calls. Get a much better read on who is on the other end of the call.

Bill
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 08:44   #26

Boat: Morgan 41 Out Island 416

Marathon Florida to Caribbean. Casual cruising. Off-grid. I'm a single hander but having a cook on board would be nice. Share some expensive. Prefer a more primitive experience. Taking the more remote scenic route ...
New Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 20:47   #27

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Anchored Lake Worth until next week, then departing for the Bahamas. If you are interested i single hand and could use crew crossing the Gulf Stream and in the Bahamas. 47 ft Lord Nelson vessel with 73 year old skipper.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:27   #28

Cruising in the Bahamas starting in The Exumas then going to Cuba and down to Belize. Maybe over to FL instead. I own a 33 ft Morgan sailboat and am hoping to find someone to come aboard as a lookout and take the helm while I sleep among other great ideas.
PigZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:12   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

Hi Gypsy Soul
I replied once before, and am serious, if you'd like to talk about it. Live oceanfront here in AC, boat is at Golden Nuggett marina. Great place to spend the summer. Lots of day sailing. Planning trip to NYC for 5-6 days, maybe more for Fourth of July . Then head to Marathon in November for winter, with New Years in key west n possible Bahamas n Cuba trips.
Let's talk if your at all interested. AC is a lot of fun in the summer
Chris
chris4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25   #30

Hi Angela. I am leaving shortly from Panama heading for Thailand. You sound interesting and I would to have you aboard to share this adventure. Thanks Jim
james frankham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, crew available, single