Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 07:19   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
Sailor to teach

Is there anyone out there that wants to teach me to sail? I have some experience in small boats. If you want to hang around Long Island Sound this summer and sail a Sabre 34 look me up. Boat is in Clinton Ct.
mainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 14:23   #2

Boat: Irwin CC ketch, 38
Send a message via AIM to Blacktim
Re: Sailor to teach

Hi:
Are you a beginner, who does't understand the basics (in which case a Sabre 34 is a great boat, but I'd suggest trying to learn the basics on a much smaller vessel that doesn't depend on winches, blocks, travellers, etc.)? Or are you somewhat experienced and are looking to learn sail handling, etc. for racing?
I'm a retired attorney who will be spending the summer on my ketch up in New London. When not out cruising, I'm hanging around. A Sabre is a fun boat to sail and I might volunteer.
By the way, where can you keep the boat in Clinton that offers easy access to the Sound? The only marinas I know are well up inland waters and you'll need a reliable engine to get in and out. You don't want to rely on sailing up narrow channels.
Send a note if interested. Blacktim@AOL.
Blacktim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:13   #3

I'm looking for someone local with experience sailing my size boat. Someone who doesn't own their own boat and loves sailing. I need practice leaving and returning to dock. Help with getting familiar with some of the systems on the boat would be nice also. Need someone often, maybe a teacher that has the summers off. Two people would be fine also. On the boat, all lines are brought back to the cockpit. O yeah, I have a fake leg, If that bothers you don't reply. If serious PM me with your info. Food & drink included and maybe more.---Dave
Old 25-03-2019, 07:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Food and drink included and maybe more? I would be interested to know why you as a boatowner are looking for an amateur or a retiree or hobbyist or simply perhaps a well-meaning person with a lot of time on their hands to provide their knowledge and skills and experience to you free of charge instead of taking on their services of a professional or going to a sailing school? As a boatowner are you going to get a friendly shade-tree mechanic to work on the engine? A pal when you need your computer disinfected and analyzed and backed up etc? A nice person with sewing skills to make a sail? A hobbyist to paint the hull or repair fiberglass? The wind may be free but buying a boat and owning a boat is not. Do you take your car to a mechanic? Do you hire a plumber or electrician or landscaper at your home? Do your taxes pay for schools? Did you pay to go to college or a vocational school? Why is it different with sailing training-especially when you have already "invested" in the boat, unless that were free too? I ask this in all seriousness and candor--and fully expect the usual thread of responses we have come to expect. I supposes it is nice that a retired attorney has already offered to be of help, but I wonder how much free legal advice that person gave during his career? Most lawyers do give pro bono help to the needy, but most lawyers are highly compensated but free legal advice to owners of cruising sailboats? I know he was offering free sailing advice, but why shouldn't there be a labor pool of professional sailing trainers? Thank you.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 11:06   #5

lightin up pal.you sound like a jerk. I was thinking that a person might want to sail a boat, have some fun and not have to pay for it. Help me learn the boat at the same time. You posted this at 10 in the am so I guess you're not working, maybe that's why you are like you are.--out
Old 25-03-2019, 14:06   #6

Good post mainsil!
rsailorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 10:28   #7

Hi Mainsil,

I would be happy to sail with you for 7-10 days in August 2019

With regards,

Slawek
Przemyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 12:33   #8

August is a little too far away for me to plan, but I'll keep it in mind.
Old 30-03-2019, 12:53   #9
rbk

Boat: T37

Also consider novices fit bay sailing. Having someone else with an interest and physical ability is better than nothing (most times) if you both have the theory that will go a long way, sometimes peolple learn/retain more this way
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail