Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 16:31   #16

Re: Sailing from New York to Australia for a year!

Ey up Leanne
That sounds a fantastic trip
This is what I aspire too.
I can't help you at the moment but.
I have done my RYA competent crew course and have just past my RYA day skipper course with nav at home . Com, which I am really made up about.lt.

I am looking at a prout snow goose. 37 feet
I know it's not the best or the fastest but everything is there to learn and sail around Britain. Then I want to sail to see my brother in Newzealand
Your trip sounds bloody amazing and I would love to do the same. And I will
Leanne I have a saying. Keep it lit
I am sure u will. Have a fantastic trip
All the best Rik
rik stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 16:41   #17

Given what's happening here in the states I bet you get plenty of wonderful women sailors for your adventure. Bon voyage!
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:15   #18

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi Leanne. An "all women's" crew sounds like a golden idea to me, even for parts of the overall voyage. I'm male, flexible, reliable and independent for any parts that may be mixed gender voyaging. I can be standby. I'm respectful, kindly and crew building for the task. As I'm retired, I can be flexible anywhere and any time from early March thru December 2017 . I'm based in Sydney and have similar plans, if I'm able. Please don't think that all men are tarred with the same brush. Best wishes. A
Alastair A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 17:47   #19

Hey Alistair.. Oh I definitely have a great respect for men, don't get me wrong! I'll start a Facebook page once the boat is signed off on and that way we can all stay updated and in touch.
( sorry that our doggies got you this year!!
leannegrant101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:32   #20

There is no reason why an all women crew can't do this. I thing this is a noble and earnest goal. I sail mostly singlehanded but have done long deliveries as a crew where the chemistry between all the crew members was no very good. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for the crew to like and respect each other and work together toward a common goal. The more people involved, the more complex this becomes and so if you can do it with fewer or solo... it makes sense. After all you will be in very close proximity for a long time with no way to change that. Choose your crew wisely... just as you do your boat... your life and sanity will depend on it!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:35   #21

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Beautiful boat, Baltic is a premium brand and im sure you have fair winds and a nice trip,, good luck...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:00   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
There is no reason why an all women crew can't do this.
Why would anyone think otherwise? Why would you even say something like that...???
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:10   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I sail mostly singlehanded but have done long deliveries as a crew where the chemistry between all the crew members was no very good. I can't emphasize enough how important it is for the crew to like and respect each other and work together toward a common goal. The more people involved, the more complex this becomes and so if you can do it with fewer or solo... it makes sense. After all you will be in very close proximity for a long time with no way to change that. Choose your crew wisely... just as you do your boat... your life and sanity will depend on it!
I crossed the atlantic with 3 strangers. From what I had read, I expected us to become best of friends on the trip. I was wrong. When you are out there, the smiles and politeness wear off quickly once the waves get high, and you are all hungry and tired. On my trip, the skipper's wife was leaving him, and used the trip as her opportunity to tell him (by sat phone). I can assure you, a miserable skipper can make for a miserable trip. The smallest thing would become a huge issue...who got more lunch, who left a hatch open, a few degrees off course, making too much noise, even the boat rocking too much...etc. And of course, alcohol makes everything worse, and should be saved for after arriving safely.

Yes, I agree, choose your crew carefully.

And yes, I agree, an all female crew would eliminate some fundamental social issues. Life at sea on a small boat is a different world. It can be awesome, but it can also be hell. There's no getting off, catching a cab, and just going home. You are stuck there for the duration...often weeks and weeks.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 17:35   #24

WoooHooo Price agreement DONE! Now for the surveys, fingers crossed!! Another big step toward realising a dream! I have a great female Captain but need some experienced female crew... put the word out to your female contacts that sail.. tell them to get in touch! Cheers CFers.
leannegrant101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 23:12   #25

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Wow. Well done Leanne. I'm sure you will have a great adventure and a wonderful and encouraging cheer squad at CF. Congratulations, fair sailing and best wishes. A
Alastair A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:56   #26

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

G'day Leanne,My wife and I will be sailing back home to Aus next May from Rhode Island ,though taking our time,
All the best on your journey and fair winds
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Hi Leanne,

The sailing trip sounds great. If you are ever looking for a Canadian husband, please give me a call (PM). You sound like my dream-girl....loves sailing and has her own boat. You are welcome to think of me on those lonely night watches.

To reiterate...loved your post, you are awesome.

Please send pictures of boat.

Dave
Edited for you
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:11   #28

Boat: Hunter 420

Wow sounds like a fantastic adventure. Be safe and take it all in. I'll be watching for your post and blog.
Old 16-12-2016, 13:46   #29

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Hey girl,

Im looking for your email to get in touch, for a possible join-in somewhere along the way.

When you have a moment, please pm me. No rush, the holidays are upon all of us it seems.

Good things to you.

Em
wolfgal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 18:50   #30
Marine Service Provider

Count on me from Fort Lauderdale and wishing to add more experiences in life. Good sailor and good chef.
Tel 305 833 4540
jcgomez25@icloud.com
jcvalor25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, new york, sail, sailing