Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2014, 10:41   #1
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sail with Saucy from India to Thailand

Damn. Our eternal gap year student crew/dog-sitter has gone and gotten herself a uni interview. Right in the middle of the planned crossing. It's OK, her Dad's still coming, and there's HWMO, so I won't have to work too hard, but another hand does make life easier. So long as that hand can clean up after themselves. Anyway, as a consequence, we have a spare berth, which we may or may not fill with the right person.

We, Aaza Dana, will offer the right crew:
  • A berth to call their own
  • Clean sheets for said berth
  • Awesome food, the best you'll ever eat on passage
  • A chance to gain a lot of sea miles
  • Free tuition in all aspects of sailing
  • Opportunity to meet the coolest sailing dogs ever (and that's not me being biased... everybody says so!)
In return, the right crew must:
  • be able to keep all their **** in their own berth.
  • clean sheets for said berth, as well as said berth and their personal clothes and bodies on a regular basis (jumping in the sea covers much of this, so don't panic just yet).
  • be able to cook awesome food. Or peel and chop ALL the onions.
  • contribute a fair share to food etc.
  • be able to get to the boat.
  • be able to get on a boat without getting sick.
  • be willing to learn how to do things our way. That's fine, 'cos our way's the best way anyway.
  • know which way is clockwise and be able to show me. You will be tested on this at random moments, sometimes under pressure, and sometimes in real situations; so if you're not sure about this one, then practise.
  • sometimes flick a poo overboard.
How to apply

Suitable applicants for the berth should post a brief CV below. It should be witty (nobody wants to spend a month with a bore), and say why they best meet each of the above criteria.

We are planning on leaving around 20th Feb, expect crew to arrive on 15th. That's only 2 and a half weeks, and it'll take you a week to get an Indian visa, so if you're interested, shout out now.

By the way, I'm serious about this. TROLLS will be severely dealt with, so don't even try...
Old 28-01-2014, 11:51   #2

Re: Sail with Saucy from India to Thailand

Hello,

My name is Pete. I hail from the San Francisco Bay Area. I have some sailing experience. I have taken several classes with the Cal Sailing Club and my brother in law owns a 30 foot cal which we take out often. However, I would describe myself as dense green wood (sinks in water). I am interested in making the trip with you. I do have a couple of potentially valuable skills. I am a very good climber so if you need something done on the mast I am your guy. I can cook up a damn decent meal. My girlfriend is a chef at Apple and she has taught me a few tricks in the kitchen. Could you send me a picture of the boat and tell me more about the visas needed for India? I have an unlimited amount of time to be away. I am buying a one way ticket somewhere in that part of the world.

Thanks!
Old 28-01-2014, 12:04   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

Okay, no trolling, how will you catch fish?
Old 28-01-2014, 12:08   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pete, the Indian visa has to be submitted online (google Indian visa), printed, submitted in person to Indian consulate then approved. Usually takes a week. Cost Brits about £60, Irish pay half that...

Take a look at the blog in my sig. There are some photos on it, although I am a rubbish blogger!

Then if you're still interested let me know. Do you have a blog? Or a Facebook page?
Old 28-01-2014, 12:11   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Okay, no trolling, how will you catch fish?

We've caught a few on the ocean using a handling we keep off the back. We do have rods as well, they just don't seem to catch much.

More often, we get fish from pirates who come disguised as inquisitive fishermen.
Old 28-01-2014, 12:22   #6

Ok. I like your blog. How much do you expect food to run? How long is the voyage? Here is my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pjacobs1
Old 29-01-2014, 06:33   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

Good luck on your voyage, I hope it is totally relaxing. I am sure you will find good company for the trip.
Old 29-01-2014, 07:19   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok, expenses. We're provisioning in India, where fresh produce is 40p a kilo. So not much. We live on about £20 a week each food wise, but we eat well, and buy meat and cereal which is expensive here.

Thinking about the visa... We got 6 month multi entry. A short visit visa will be much cheaper. I hear you can get visa on arrival at some major airports, but not Cochin (COK) where we are.
Old 29-01-2014, 07:24   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sail with Saucy from India to Thailand

Fly into Mumbai and take the coast train down.. its an awesome journey...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 29-01-2014, 07:33   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, but takes three days, once you take into account finding the ticket office, standing in line, being told to come back the next day to book, and actually greeting a space on the train... It is a LOT of fun, but not for those who don't have time!

If you wanna do the train in India, you'll have to get moving soon!
Old 29-01-2014, 13:13   #11

Hello! My name is Emily Van Horne. I am a sailing instructor from Halifax, Nova Scotia. I am taking some time off school and want to do some sailing in other parts of the world! Sailing with you sounds like an amazing opportunity, and I believe I have a lot to contribute to the trip. I absolutely love to play music, cook tons of amazing food for friends, I am very tidy, quick at adapting to new environments, but most of all I am really looking for an experience like this.

p.s. I happen to be a dog walker and love animals! So I am more than up for dog-sitting related duties!!
Old 29-01-2014, 13:16   #12
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK, Emily, have you seen my really crummy blog yet? And do you have a facebook page, so I can see who you are?
Old 29-01-2014, 13:21   #13

I have!! Its fantastic, and far from crummy. My name is Emily Van Horne! You can find me on facebook!
Old 29-01-2014, 14:48   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Super awesome. I'll sign in and take a look. Meantime, we have a few questions for you both. Sort of like an interview, just to get an idea of who you are. Please be as creative as possible, and witty if you can! Note in advance, I may adopt any creative answers and encompass them into a multiple choice.

1. In a decent breeze, you are going to the foredeck to unhook the genoa sheet from where its stuck on the hatch. You stand in dog poo. What do you do?

2. It's your first meal inboard, and on your very first forkful, you see a dog hair. What do you do?

3. It's your watch. You decide yo make a cuppa, but as you look in the cabin you see naked bodies sprawled over the main berth. What do you do?

4. You'll need to cook maybe six times. But one of those meals should be to Come Dine With Me standard. For the standard budget of 100 rupees / Two pounds / three dollars per head (4 people) per meal, what three course extravaganza would you prepare?

5. How much do you love to clean bilges?

6. Where would you take the crew on a grand day out in Phuket?

These are just random questions that come into my head, and I'm sure I'll ask more. Being on a boat for three weeks with an anal cow like me can be really wearing, especially when the rubbish bag is nearly full, and nobody else will empty the thing without being asked... So it's worth taking the time to get to know each other.

Which reminds me.

7. Do you speak loud?

I'll send you both friend requests so I can have a good noses at who you are as well.

8. When can you apply for your Indian visa?
Old 29-01-2014, 17:08   #15
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
1. In a decent breeze, you are going to the foredeck to unhook the genoa sheet from where its stuck on the hatch. You stand in dog poo. What do you do?

Take off my shoes and throw them overboard

2. It's your first meal inboard, and on your very first forkful, you see a dog hair. What do you do?

MMMM, extra protein

3. It's your watch. You decide yo make a cuppa, but as you look in the cabin you see naked bodies sprawled over the main berth. What do you do?

Grab a bag of chips and find a spot where one can see both the sea and the cabin
Did I just type that out loud ????

Tags
India, sail, Thailand