Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2019, 06:19   #16

Boat: Southern Cross 39
Re: Pensacola to key west to virgin islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavedc View Post
wasn't the Kitty Hawk the replacement for the Lexington or visa versa. I served on the Constellation. Check this out. I flew on a Constellation to Tripoli when I was 6 months old. Our house man was an Italian speaking Muslim whose wife lived with goats in our discarded moving crate. Hey, do you have a v berth in your 39 footer? How about making it into a brig?
2 19 year olds aboard. A brig might not be a bad idea LOL.

Kitty Hawk ended her days as the last oil burner carrier, forward deployed in Japan.
Old 28-05-2019, 06:49   #17
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. No one actually finds a crew here.
Wrong, quite a few have found crews, or passages right here.

Quote:
This is where you go to get your trip cancelled.
Only in your head, nobody cancelled your trip for you.

Quote:
This trip is postponed until further notice.
Try again with more realistic crewing, nobody wants to be stuffed in a little boat like sardines in a can.

Quote:
No but I've read my fortune and it says "New venture could cost you dearly" and a stubborn troll whispered, "you shall not make the great crossing without the blessing of the gallery." And now looking back, I wonder how I ever escaped the "whisperwill" that lurked in the camp or the roaming coyotes that kept us pinned down in the field, and that damn cramped cockpit of an F-14 tomcat going Mach 1.5 upside-down in the dark of a moonless night. We'll it seems that I was quite lucky. My luck has almost run out. The cards tell the six of swords and the crystal ball has blue bubbles.
Whatever you are smoking, or sniffing seems to be working.

Good luck to you.
Old 28-05-2019, 10:44   #18

Thanks for all your help and encouragement, CSY man.[/SIZE]
Old 28-05-2019, 10:55   #19
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavedc View Post
Thanks for all your help and encouragement, CSY man.
Anytime, I am here to help.
Old 29-05-2019, 04:48   #20

I have some experience in a Pearson Vanguard 33. In my opinion, 3 people onboard for an overnight or longer voyage should the maximum if you want to still be friends when the voyage is over. When tacking or jibing, the tiller sweeps the cockpit, requiring at least one crew member to step over it (energetically). More than 3 in the cockpit gets to be a real "goat rope". The interior volume is small for a 33. With 5 people on board it would be crowded as HELL, it would be difficult to impossible to get any rest or sleep as the other crew would keep you awake cooking, eating, using the head, etc, etc. "Sardines in a can" is a pretty accurate description of what it would be like. Personally, if I were going to make this voyage, I'd prefer to do it with only one other crew member (preferably female) besides myself. The Vanguard is an easy boat to sail. 2 able-bodied people should have no problem. I would MUCH prefer to go single-handed than to suffer being stuck onboard such a small boat with 4 other people. Highly unlikely to be an enjoyable experience. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. By all means: "GO!!!". Just don't expect to enjoy yourself with so many people crammed in such a small space for several days.
Closed Thread

Tags
key west, pensacola, Virgin Islands