Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 05:48   #1

Boat: Boatless
Pacific Crossing

Moon Dancer, a well equipped Tayana 55, is going through the Panama Canal in February and then heading south to Ecuador before crossing the Pacific on the way to New Zealand with potential stops at the Galapagos, Marquesas, Tahiti, Tonga etc enroute (weather and time permitting), arriving in New Zealand next November.

Owners are a healthy middle aged couple with 70,000 combined sea miles.

We are interested in one or perhaps two crew members for all or parts of the trip.

Ideal crew would be a middle aged male who is retired from a responsible job like the military and has boat fit-it/mechanical skills.

We will teach the sailing skills if needed. Must be able to work as a team member and participate in all on board chores including domestic duties.

Owner responsible for on board meals, fuel, maintenance and all related boat costs.

Crew must be able to pay for own visitors bond in any applicable country (ie: French Polynesia), medical expenses, customs, immigration and travel permits, visas, air or other personal travel expenses and any shore side expenses. Any required visas are to be obtained in advance and crew must have a passport with at least two years left before renewal date.

Non-smoker, no drugs and able to go at least a week without a beer.

This is an opportunity for the right person or persons to gain offshore sailing experience and visit magnificent paces with two highly experienced, safety conscious, world cruisers on a solid and well equipped boat.

DrPKellett at g mail dot com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t55_profile2.gif
Views:	237
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	70135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moon Dancer in Bonaire.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	70136  

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 11-11-2013, 04:33   #2

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5, C&C 31, and Windrider 16
Re: Pacific Crossing

This sounds like a voyage of a lifetime! I am sending an email now.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:49   #3

Moon Dancer's Itinerary 2014
Moon Dancer will be in Bonaire until January 1st

By a route direct or devious she will sail to Panama arriving about January 20th

Shelter Bay Marina until about the 14th of February

Through the Canal

Down the Panamanian coast to Ecuador

Leave Ecuador about March 21st and head for the Marquesas, may stop at the Galapagos Islands

April/May in the Marquesas and then sail across the South Pacific without a schedule

November arrive in New Zealand

As the voyage develops we will develop a more detailed schedule.

Anyone wanting to sail to Ecuador needs to join the boat in Shelter Bay and help with the Canal transit. Once through we go straight to Ecuador.

Phil & Nell s/v Moon Dancer

Old 13-11-2013, 07:09   #4

Hello Moon Dancers! I am very interested in the pacific crossing and will be in Ecuador in March. I am a 33 year old male, just sold , my kite school and hostel on Ocracoke NC and have great desire to get back out to sea. Please let me know if you have any questions for me. Keith croghan at gmail dot com (no spaces
Old 14-11-2013, 22:05   #5

Email sent. Please let me know if you do not receive it. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 02-12-2013, 17:18   #6

Boat: Miller 41

Hello Moon Dancer,
I am very interested in your adventure. I am a retired Elementary School Principal who has been sailing for about 40 yrs. I have sailed and raced on everything from beach cats to 54 ft racers. I have lived in Anacortes, Washington in the San Juan Islands for the past 23 years where I raced on my Dash 34 and any available boat about 25 to 30 races per year including 9 Swiftsure races and several Southern Straits. My preferred position is fore deck. Also did the Port Huron to Mackinac on a 45 ftr. Last year we sold the Dash and bought a Miller 41 to race and cruise to Alaska. I just finished refurbishing it. Two winters ago I spent 5 weeks sailing with two other guys on a Hans Christian 38 from St. Lucia to Bonaire, Aruba, Santa Marta, Columbia and the Panama Canal where the boat was put up in a yard. I'm also a passable cook and can repair most things on a boat. I'm 68 yrs old, in excellent health 5ft 10, 175 lbs and take no medications. My wife and I are also distance bicyclists and ride 100 to 170 miles a week over the summer. We recently completed the Seattle to Portland 2 day 207 mile event. She is a ER nurse, 5 yrs younger and wants to keep working. I am presently remodeling our kitchen and working part time as a deckhand on a 45ft water taxi to stay busy. We are financially stable and I can take off as much time as I wish. I would love to do the canal crossing, Las Perlas, Ecuador, Galapagos, Marquesas and Tahiti. I have been to Tahiti and Moorea once and Panama 5 times. I believe I could be a great asset to your trip. I look forward to hearing from you, Bernard Selting
Old 02-12-2013, 22:33   #7

Many thanks for all your replies, there were many more applicants than the ones that posted.

95% of the replies were from people who were very qualified either as sailors or just generally competent people, which is more important than sailing experience. I can teach people to sail but I can't teach them to be competent in life.

The crew is now finalized.

Old 09-12-2013, 00:22   #8

Boat: Frers, Pilothouse, 72ft

Hello Moon Dancer,
I'm in Trinidad at the moment but, also intend on crossing the Canal then onto Equador, Galapagos and ending up in the Marquesas, where I intend to stay a while....our timing seems to coincide very closely with yours.
Do you think that we may transit the Pacific together?
regards,Wolfy