Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2013, 17:23   #1

Boat: Tayana V42
Nov 2013 from Annapolis to BVI

I'm a new sailboat owner and a relatively new sailor. I'm looking for 1 or 2 folks to help me sail from Annapolis to the BVI's this fall. I'm planning on leaving Annapolis early Nov 2013.

My plan: the Chesapeake Bay/ICW for 3-5 days from Annapolis to Morehead City/Beaufort, NC. Then 3 days outside to Ft. Pierce, FL. Then a few days rest, then jump to the Bahamas (West Port, then Marsh Harbor) when weather's good. Then, eventually (5-7 days) to the BVI's sometime in December/January.

My ultimate plan is to circumnavigate over a multi year period, beginning in Apr 2014, heading east to the Med. Then, wherever the wind blows. Honestly, I don't care if I ever get back. But first, I need to gain confidence in my boat, via this upcoming trip south this fall. I'm looking for one or two folks to help me gain this confidence.

I've a 42 foot 1981 Tayana, cutter rigged, sailboat (with great sails and great rigging). I've spent the past 3 months getting her ready. By November she'll be more than ready. As will I. I've only sailed for 6 or 7 months, but it's mostly been at night, on the oceans, in rough seas and high winds. I've been there, done that in a very short time. BVI's, Bahama's, ICW, Interior Passage, Gulf of Alaska, Prince William Sound, Long Island Sound.

I've seen extremely rough seas (short chop for hours), extremely high seas (25 footers for 12 hours), extremely high winds for a couple days, and long watches. Bring it on.

Let me know if you're interested in joining my adventure.

Thanks for looking.
Roland
Old 17-09-2013, 17:34   #2

Boat: Shopping...
Re: Nov 2013 from Annapolis to BVI

Hi Roland,

Are you aware that you will be against prevalent wind and current if you go to the Bahamas on your way to the Caribbean?

Much easier to sail directly from Norfolk or Beaufort to the Virgin.

Check-out Caribbean 1500 and Salty Dawgs Rally website for info.

Good luck,

Marc
Old 17-09-2013, 17:46   #3

Boat: Tayana V42

Marc - thanks for info re: 1500 etc. Joining another group, any group, doesn't appeal to me. At all.

According to my research, It's about a 20 day trip via the Bahamas versus a 15 day trip direct to the BVI's. I'm thinking the 5 days aren't worth the higher exposure/risk.

I like the idea of a 2 day jump, then a 5-7 day jump, via the Bahamas. I'll simply wait for the good weather window for each segment. Versus the exposure of a 11 day trip via the Bermuda/BVI route. Are you aware of a direct to BVI that doesn't expose this additional risk?

I really appreciate your feedback/opinion. Thanks!
- Roland
Old 17-09-2013, 18:03   #4

Roland,

Obviously, being 9 to 11 days at sea put you out of a reliable weather window which is about 3-4 days, usually!
But today you can chat daily with a router like Chris Parker, who will you advice en route. Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services
That's a big plus.
On that route, you also have the option of hide and wait in Bermuda if a really bad system develop.

The main advantage for me going offshore is that you will sail instead of motoring.

Marc
Old 17-09-2013, 18:09   #5

Check this out The Salty Dawg Rally

If you are self-reliance, these guys can help you make that trip a wonderful experience.
And you may also find a crew thru them.
Old 17-09-2013, 18:11   #6

This sounds like a great trip, and if you haven’t already identified your crew, I am interested and wish you would consider me. I'm retired military so I have no time constraints. I have sailing experience but not on blue water. I am looking to gain some. My email is moorebrucem(at)earthlink(dot)net. Thank you. Bruce Moore
Old 17-09-2013, 18:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nov 2013 from Annapolis to BVI

Stick to the plan down to Ft Pierce... take a few days off hanging out at the excellent marina bar there (awesome burgers) while you wait for a nice 2-5 day window of S'lies and run over the top of the Bahama's and due E then down to the BVI's... beats the hell outa the 'Thorny Path'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 18-09-2013, 02:31   #8

Boat: grampian 26
I'm interested. I can be contacted at Luis_o_98@hotmail.com
Old 18-09-2013, 08:47   #9

Boat: Boatless

Again Boatman has it right. We have done Florida to the Islands 4 times.

The key is to wait for a weather system that breaks the normal easterly flow so that you can push east. And you need to push east to at least
W67. The advice to go to W65 is usually not necessary.

If you push south too early then you intercept the 'Thorny Path' and find yourself bashing into wind and current north of Haiti, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

Take lots of fuel unless you want to find yourself sailing towards Bermuda, but that is a nice place too!

Coming south the closer you are to the coast, 400 yds south of Canaveral, the more you will carry the counter current that runs south. Just don't do it in a northeasterly gale.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 18-09-2013, 14:54   #10

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Roland! Listen to Marc D , he has it right, Norfolk to BVI ...and oh by the way it is not 15 days but more like 9-10 days. Just do it.....I can assist if you would like
USCG Master Captain Christine
e-mail me
Old 21-09-2013, 10:44   #11

Boat: none

Are you still looking for a crew member. I would be interested in the Nov legs. I have taken a bareboat chartering course, but otherwise inexperienced. Looking to get some miles. retiree with flexible schedule. fit, able and enthusiastic
Old 21-09-2013, 13:54   #12

I am interested in joining your adventure. I am not sure how I would make it happen though, for I am in Ohio, United States
Old 21-09-2013, 14:14   #13

Hello Roland,

I am available as crew for part or all of your cruise. I am an excellent deckhand, helmsman and cook and have owned my own 30' sailboat out of Annapolis and have been sailing all my life. Additionally I am in excellent health, am easygoing and I say humbly very fun to be with. Contact me anytime.

Jamie Wallhauser
Old 21-09-2013, 14:16   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandErickson View Post
...According to my research, It's about a 20 day trip via the Bahamas versus a 15 day trip direct to the BVI's. I'm thinking the 5 days aren't worth the higher exposure/risk...Roland
Welcome to CF, Roland. Just a comment on passage duration.

I've done the offshore passage from Hampton Roads, Virginia to BVI three times. In your boat, it should take your 8-9 days from Hampton Roads, or 7-8 days from Morehead City.
Old 21-09-2013, 16:53   #15

Hi Roland,
I don't have experience with your planned trip but I've raced to both Bermuda in 2011 and Newport, RI in 2012, cruised and raced in New Zealand and race and cruise regularly for 15 yrs on the Chesapeake. If you are still looking for crew I'd like to meet with you at our mutual convenience in Annapolis and discuss this.
Regards,
John

Tags
annapolis