Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2018, 14:01   #31

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Norfolk to Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Did you read the part about sleeping on windvane steering less than 1mile off?

I think that is when they ended up on the beach. Line in the monitor broke or something like that and they veered into shore.

I give them credit for just doing it. What I found annoying was his pedantic tone in early videos as he held forth as though he was an expert. He may be on his way to being one, no doubt, but he’s learning you can’t read it all in books.
Old 18-10-2018, 14:16   #32

Boat: Valiant 40
Norfolk to Bahamas

Quote:
I started in San Francisco with no experience and never had an engine. My first day in the ocean gusting 45 and my pump could not keep up, I had to use a bucket.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for sea trialing in the ocean. :P

Quote:
At some point to gain experience you have to go.

I left nz in July and there were not harbors to escape weather. If the boat is strong and you avoid the stream in North wind, I can think of a lot more difficult passages.

No doubt you have to just go. There is only so much you can learn through books and reading. The rest is experiential.

And while there are plenty of more difficult passages, particularly if they stay inside the stream, this is their first passage on a new boat.
Old 18-10-2018, 14:50   #33

Thanks for the replys

Thanks to everyone who replied with something more useful than patronizing "concern." Its crazy how any post that does not line up with ones beliefs or general way of doing things, it is assumed that the poster has never been on a boat, never sailed, never seen the ocean, and lives under a rock. Wouldnt it be more constructive to move on from the post if it does not fall in line with how you like to do things?

I have read so many times on SO many posts something along the lines of "if you are posting X question, I am concerned you should not be on the water."

If you cant dig it, thats no big deal...lets just wish each other good luck, and not let egos control this circus.
beach.bleached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 16:27   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Hmmmm I don’t get that from the replies since no one knows your background from what you posted.
Old 18-10-2018, 16:54   #35

Boat: Pearson 323
Re: Thanks for the replys

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.bleached View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied with something more useful than patronizing "concern." Its crazy how any post that does not line up with ones beliefs or general way of doing things, it is assumed that the poster has never been on a boat, never sailed, never seen the ocean, and lives under a rock. Wouldnt it be more constructive to move on from the post if it does not fall in line with how you like to do things?

I have read so many times on SO many posts something along the lines of "if you are posting X question, I am concerned you should not be on the water."

If you cant dig it, thats no big deal...lets just wish each other good luck, and not let egos control this circus.

A very monochromatic perspective

God's Speed
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 04:56   #36

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Thanks for the replys

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.bleached View Post

I think your initial post sounded like you wanted someone who can help teach you. But I also like being taught by others with 35+ years of experience.

So maybe you can clarify what you have done?

My main concern is in prep of your boat. Yes you CAN do anything but should you is different. And a big contributor to your success is your resilience and humility going out.

With such great access and technology for SAR some folks attempt trips they would never do if they couldn’t hit the button. And towing insurance also is nice. So my rule of thumb is would you feel comfortable doing this trip without EPIRB and towing insurance? If yes go ahead but then please get those safety nets as a backup.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 06:57   #37

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
My second day out we got over taken by a cold front gusting about 40ish. Shredded our genny in minutes as the wind picked up and had to limp back on the main and outboard.
I have shredded sails a few times, but I always have spare.

Quote:
Sean, didn't you get iced in on the ICW somewhere last winter? How much if the ICW did you travel without an engine?
From Norfolk to Morehead city.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:30   #38

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
I have shredded sails a few times, but I always have spare.

From Norfolk to Morehead city.
I didn't have a spare, that was my inexperience showing up and could have been much worse.

I said in my first post if the OP could take the ditch down to Beaufort, NC they would eliminate a lot of risk.
Old 22-10-2018, 06:51   #39

Some acquaintances of mine attempted this trip in winter a few years back and decided they would make better time offshore.

They subsequently motored into Charleston harbor demasted and de-radioed, and found out that the CG had been looking for them after being contacted by very concerned families.
Aldous Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 07:43   #40

Boat: Hake 32RK

Only problem is that many Bridges on ICW and inlets will not allow you to sail through. Might want to check with them first. Also not a lot of marinas like to have boats sailed to the dock though I have done it when engine failed they weren't happy......
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 11:57   #41

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'm a delivery skipper. I make that trip offshore several times a year. I've rounded Diamond Shoals well over a hundred times.

From the OP description I wouldn't do it. It isn't the engine. I've lost engines and had to do it myself and the world won't end, although I can't say I'd choose to do it on purpose. My big issue is that the tone of the question indicates to me that the OP really isn't ready for that exercise.

It is one thing to post "here is my specific plan, any of y'all with experience have comments?" Then you weed out the naysayers.

I've sailed a lot of funky places and have some stories of getting into and out of places under sail I am quietly proud of. I won't bore with them. On that boat with no engine heading offshore to the Bahamas seems ill-advised. To even contemplate sailing down the ICW with locks and bridges that explicitly prohibit sailing through indicates insufficient experience and preparation.

The OP isn't ready. S/he risks him/herself, his/her boat, and the lives of SAR personnel to make up for a mistake. Not recommended.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 14:11   #42

Boat: 1994 Ericson 380, 38'

I see yet another GO FUND ME in the works. But the real fool is going to be anyone that steps foot onto this person's boat. As stated earlier, they come across as totally unprepared. They should not be asking for passengers.
Lnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 05:50   #43

Hey I've done this trip via the ICW in December on our Columbia 36. I will second the previous advise. It is a hell of a trip. Very cold and not much fun. We had a complete enclosure and a diesel heater and it was still bone chilling. There are not as many navigable inlets as you think and the wind will either be against you or blowing 25 - 30 knots. You'll learn a lot about sailing for sure. Some sort of motor is required.
rstarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 06:24   #44

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
Only problem is that many Bridges on ICW and inlets will not allow you to sail through.
This is not correct. I sailed through everywhere, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarbird
Some sort of motor is required.
GPS is also required since no one ever sailed this trip before they existed either.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 06:55   #45

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
This is not correct. I sailed through everywhere, no problem.
This asks an interesting question, which is correct?
Boat_alexandra says he has sailed up and down the Atlantic ICW without mechanical propulsion no problem. While others are equally as adamant that it is prohibited.

Which is right?

Is it up to the bridge tender? State law? Federal Statute? Has boat_alexandra just been lucky?

I'd like to know what is real and put this to bed once and for all!
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas