Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 17:15   #1

Boat: Roberts 53
New York to Key West Departing Oct. 20

Heading South from New York to Key West around October 20. Coastal ocean transit with some layovers depending on weather. Very capable 53' steel cutter in excellent condition. Experienced captain has logged 8000 bluewater miles in the past two years. Looking for third crew member for watch keeping case of some round the clock sailing. Unpaid position but you'll eat well. I expect the trip to take 2 weeks or a bit longer depending on winds and seas. Possibility for you to stay aboard for subsequent trip: Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, etc.

Please reply with details about yourself, experience, etc. There is some info about myself. the yacht, etc. on the profile, this site. Feel free to ask for any additional info.
Old 14-09-2018, 14:25   #2

Re: New York to Key West Departing Oct. 20

I am interested in helping you crew your boat. My name is Ryan, I just retired as a law enforcement officer and I’m looking to gain some experience sailing before I purchase my own boat. PM in your interested.

Thanks!
Rypat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 11:33   #3

Boat: Sea Doo Challenger, 18'

I make apps and teach college literature classes. My wife, daughter, and I went around the world in 2013 visiting 24 countries in 15 months. Now we'd like to do it again on a sailboat (this time heading west). I have had a lifelong passion for sailing, but I still have very little experience. That said, I am a supremely capable, trustworthy, and competent person. Show me what to do and you can guarantee that it will be done to your liking. I am a German Texan. My work ethic is strong. I am not a millennial (I am 43). With me around, you'll probably laugh a lot and discuss not a few deep topics. We won't decode the entire meaning of the universe, but we'll sure try!!

I did not take any classes this fall, so I am ready and available. Your passage seems just right for me to help out a bit and gain a some of experience.

The enemy of education is not ignorance, but knowing. I come to you ready to learn.

Colin Shanafelt
shanafeltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:20   #4

Boat: Adams 45

I'm 66 years old. Started racing in a Lightning when I was 11, graduated to big boat and ocean racing during and after college. Followed with cruising for many years, starting with bareboat charters in Maine and now own a 45' steel boat. Completely comfortable standing watch alone. Good boat and mechanical skills. I live in NYC and would love to get together and discuss this opportunity.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:53   #5

Boat: Between boats right now
Send a message via AIM to wilson eavis

Thanks for your ad.
I love the southern climates, especially to get rid of these cold winters up north here.
I've sailed south on several occasions and had planned to sail my own boat to the Bahamas this fall, though your ad perks my interest.
Plenty of time has been sailing my own voyages this season onboard my 36' Cabot.
I have many Coast Guard recognized marine certifications that might help me be a suitable crew.
Non smoker, no drugs, no BS; I can sail, I'm clean, well mannered, love to cook, super easy to get along with, and just love south but hate politics.
Let me know what you think, and we'll perhaps take it from there.
Regardless, sail safely.

Wilson Eavis
wilson eavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 22:17   #6

Hey there, I just wanted to put my hat in the ring for your trip down the coast. I don't have any professional experience sailing but I've done racing around the New York City area. I recently went about getting my ASA certifications and really want some more cruising experience in under my belt.

As for the basics, I'm 33, in good health, enjoy cooking, and used to working long hours keeping watch (process equipment can be pretty finicky during shake down...). No smoking, no drugs, no dietary restrictions.

What I lack in offshore sailing skills, I hope I make up in practical skills. In the "handy" department, I know my way around metal work (lathe, mill, welding -stick/TIG), woodwork, and glass. I do engineering, process design, and automation for a living so I'm equally at home fixing pressure seals or programming systems. I have some engine work under my belt, but mostly in mechanical maintenance/trouble shooting/repair of components. I know my ropes well, with experience in rigging for safety and construction in addition to a sailboat.

What really caught my eye was that you're sailing a steel Roberts. I've had my eye on them for the better part of 10 years, though more in the 34-40ft range. I've always been impressed by the practicality of the Roberts plans and as a guy that knows how annoying an english wheel can be, really love the radius chine concept.

Anyway, hope to hear from you.
reineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 08:25   #7

Thx again.
I replied earlier to your ad, and to let you know I'm still available and willing.
Best to reach me at wilson.eavis@hotmail.ca or eavisw@ns.sympatico.ca
Several offshore sailing references available.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Wilson
Old 30-09-2018, 08:03   #8

Wilson here again.
Did you receive my posting to you re "about me"?
If not I can resend.

Thx.

Wilson
Old 01-10-2018, 14:00   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsie1

Am interested will send cv emailme at hav2befree@yahoo.com
Thanks Marian
bootsie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 17:41   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to videotom

Sorry. It did not go through the first time. http://strodel.com/strodel/sail.html
videotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 17:41   #11

One more try. strodel.com/strodel/sail.html
Old 04-10-2018, 17:42   #12

Spotty for all the posts. The system seems to frown on URL’s in the posts
Old 04-10-2018, 17:43   #13

Spotty = sorry.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:43   #14

I expect you've signed your crew onboard?
NP, just looking for confirmation.
Thx.

Wilson
Old 10-10-2018, 14:18   #15

Hey my name is Amanda. I'm 25 and a marine scientist. I've travelled a bit. I've lived and worked on an 80ft sharpie schooner. I'm ready to leave land at any moment. I'm trying to do a transit down to the islands. It's getting too cold here for me. If you wanna chat you can email me s0847594@monmouth.edu cheers
amandabillotti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, new york