Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2018, 18:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 38'
new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

I have just bought a 2008 Lagoon 380 in Hong Kong, and need to relocate it to Indonesia as soon as possible.

I am completely inexperienced with yachts, and need someone to help me get to know the boat, and to equip it for the long passage (about 12 days with luck) to Indonesia (Batam, to be exact, just across from Singapore).

The selling agent and previous owner have tried to be helpful but I guess this is Hong Kong, and they have other demands on their time, especially when dealing with a newbie.

It doesn't help that Hong Kong is completely new to me, and getting simple things done here takes soooo much longer than in Indonesia or Singapore.

My funds are limited, but I am not going to scimp on equipment that is truly needed for the passage. I just need someone to show me what to buy and where.

btw, I may also be looking for crew and skipper for this passage, depending on developments.

soooo, bottom line, is there anyone in Hong Kong with time on their hands who is willing to help a newbie? All comments and suggestions appreciated!
Gary Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 18:52   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: new yacht owner in Hong Kong needs help

If you don't get a volunteer with time on their hands (in Hong Kong?)

I'd fly in a skipper from your destination and pay them to help you get her ready.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 19:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If you don't get a volunteer with time on their hands (in Hong Kong?)
well, i guess i am not looking for a 'volunteer' as such, as i am quite prepared to pay costs and for time. i guess i just need someone who isn't in a hurry to be somewhere else.

Quote:
I'd fly in a skipper from your destination and pay them to help you get her ready.
yes, been trying that for some months. no deal.
Old 17-08-2018, 19:06   #4
cruiser

Maybe you aren't offering the going rate?

Or putting the word out widely enough?

Try advertising translated into local language media rather than English only?

Physically walking the marinas?
Old 17-08-2018, 19:22   #5

Quote:
Maybe you aren't offering the going rate?
Perhaps. Maybe i just can't afford the going rate. I am really wanting to avoid 'professionals' if at all possible. They are too narrowly focussed.

Quote:
Or putting the word out widely enough?
That's why I'm here! but yes, need to network more. does not come naturally.

Quote:
Try advertising translated into local language media rather than English only?
English is the official language of Hong Kong. Cantonese widely spoken, but I do not speak it myself.

Quote:
Physically walking the marinas?
Yes, doing that! Maybe need to look at other marinas as well.
Old 17-08-2018, 23:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

So, how about posting what you think needs to be done to make the boat able to be sailed to your chosen destination and the present condition of the boat and see who responds. Folk can then judge the time needed to prep the boat and get it to the destination (Batam).
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 23:33   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dean View Post
English is the official language of Hong Kong.
I meant at your destination.

I assume HK will be inpenetrable and too crazy expensive.

But even professional Indonesians / Malays must be more reasonable, and you'll need to pay airfare anyway.
Old 17-08-2018, 23:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

I forgot to add that, although I am not experienced in that part of the world, to get from HK to Batam at this time of the year is not something to actually try - it is normally dead into the wind or close to!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 04:33   #9

Gary, I am now in my 50th year of deliveries and on passage tuition. The number of times persons have bought a boat only to give up a later date. A couple of years ago I was contracted by someone in the US who bought a catamaran in the Hamble, UK, having seen it online, unseen, but he had very limited sailing experience. Fund weren't the issue and he packed up everything in the US and came to the boat. The original owner gave him a couple of sails to Cowes!. Now the owners intention was to get the cat to warmer climes.

I asked him why he purchased a cat? He responded that he liked the pictures of them in blue lagoons and fancied living that life. I worked with him to collate and buy all the items he needed to be self sufficient. After all this he had spent in total over GBP750K. The trip was to get him to Gibraltar and provide tuition on passage and to take 4-6 weeks. Handling cats are different to mono-hulls, but he wanted to learn. The plan was to go along the south coast of England to Falmouth, before crossing to Brest. By the time we got off Portland Bill, the tides and wind were favourable to cross the Channel and he was up for it at that point. Half way over, as cats do, in short troughs they slam in slow motion. After an hour of this, he said this isn't the type of sailing he signed up to do! I asked him how he thought cats got to the blue lagoons? He'd had enough and said "turn the boat around I'm going to sell it". He did!

Where do you start? It would help if you were to provide the specs of the cat and the equipment that is already on it. That will form the basis of what you require. What are you eventually going to use the cat for - type of sailing, etc?

Interesting that you are going in that direction, as I am currently discussing with another owner going in the opposite direction. As I also undertake professional routing and meteorology for trans-ocean passages and rallies; there is never a 100% good time to depart, it is all a matter of understanding what you may meet and when and how to deal with it. Common sense prevails and as long as you have access to METAREA data and watch the barometer, you then have advance warning of what to expect.

Use these forums to place questions on different parts of the CF setup. I've been here since 2003 and there is an array of knowledge by persons just looking and just may provide the an answer you seek.

Although I travel globally from my base in Scotland, I may well be outside of your budget, both for on-passage delivery/tuition and organising your yacht's setup. But hey ho you may be a frugal millionaire!

Best
Martin
katoema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 09:55   #10

Egad. 1600 miles ? in the wrong direction ? plus no experience ? and no gear ?

Is it possible you could freighter it with a "float in/float out" delivery service and find that less costly and also less struggle ?
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 13:10   #11

Boat: Seahorse 52' Trawler - Alchemy

I have forwarded you request for help to an old friend who lives in Hong Kong and has her captain's license. I met her in Borneo when she was sailing a cat similar but larger to the one you purchased. I don't know if she can help you but I thought it was worthwhile trying.
USMYAlchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 17:30   #12

OMG !

I know those waters ... use to live in Zhuhai/Macau ...been to Singapore, know Batam.

Dude, you have to ship the boat ... that trip will kill that boat then you.

Too much traffic and islands to be going the serious wrong way, dude, especially in a Cat (no offense to cat people). It would be tough with a heavy displaced boat and full crew and a hell of lot longer then 12 days. You would be lucky to do it if it was downhill all the way in 12 days.

I can see why someone in HK would want a cat, lots of skinny water. But when the wind gets up the sea state is horrendous and it's everywhere, you can't get out of it, very uncomfortable.

But if you're going, I'd hop down the coast. Find a good window and motor all the way to Hainan stay on the inside around to Sanya then wait for another window to da nang in vietnam (fuel up) ... squeek your way around the coast to Vung tao then take off to Singapore which will be about 6days weather willing motor all the way. You need to maintain 8knts min. all the time
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 17:32   #13

You will be in for a wonderful trip to Batam. Leaving in a few month time (late Nov onwards) and after you provision and get your needed equipment, the prevailing winds will be in your favor.

I’m based in Phuket, Thailand ..... was just helping someone sail their yacht from Hua Hin (east coast Thailand) via Singapore to Phuket ( west coast Thailand) but not ideal time July/Aug.as they did. You might enjoy a coastal sail along Thai/Malaysian coast if your not in a hurry. Some lovely islands and anchorages to explore along the way.

I am available if needed. Not looking for money but i have time to sail and assist.

Wish you well on your new adventure to Indonesia
sailndive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 17:40   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dean View Post
Perhaps. Maybe i just can't afford the going rate. I am really wanting to avoid 'professionals' if at all possible. They are too narrowly focused.
Sounds like a professional who is focused on the task at hand is exactly what is needed here. And what is "the task at hand"? Lessons in handling a large catamaran is one thing, equipping a boat for an extended passage is another, and delivering a boat to Batam is another yet.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 18:07   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 40ft Alloy Centre Board
Send a message via Skype™ to nixontankgirl

A positive PM sent from someone local.

I'm sorry to see so many people left negative comments.

Tags
Hong Kong, yacht