Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 01:48   #1

Moving from Oz to NZ with my dog

Hi there,
My dog can't fly & I want to move to NZ (from here in Australia) for the next stage of this adventure we call life. It's not safe to sedate her & she can't fly. I've joined this forum to see if there is any way that she & I can travel by boat? I would die for her - and will never leave her. People say that about their children & this is how I feel about my dog. Cruise ships and cargo ships do not take pets on this route.
Thanking you in advance for any information you can offer.
Best wishes,
B 🙏🐶💜.

Bee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:09   #2

Re: Moving from Oz to NZ with my dog

Quarantine requirements?

olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16   #3

Hi there,
Thanks. Dogs do not need to enter NZ quarantine if they have come from Australia, and have done everything that is required by NZ MPI (mainly blood tests and vaccinations).

Thanks,
B 🙏💜🐶
Old 01-04-2017, 02:28   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It sorta seems like Bee 56 wants to hitchike, as it were, on a boat bound for NZ, with his dog, who may or may not get seasick and therefore require medical attention under way.

Ann
Old 01-04-2017, 02:43   #5
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee56 View Post
Hi there,
My dog can't fly & I want to move to NZ (from here in Australia) for the next stage of this adventure we call life. It's not safe to sedate her & she can't fly. I've joined this forum to see if there is any way that she & I can travel by boat? I would die for her - and will never leave her. People say that about their children & this is how I feel about my dog. Cruise ships and cargo ships do not take pets on this route.
Thanking you in advance for any information you can offer.
Best wishes,
B 🙏🐶💜.
If you are thinking that the dog (and perhaps you) could travel by yacht from Aus to NZ, I would say "forget it".

It is at least a 2 week trip, almost always rough at times, sometimes very much so. Unless it is a small dog and used to discomfort, I can't see it happening. Maybe a dog that has extensive sea time and has it's sea legs could do it OK but if not, I reckon the dog would suffer.

What is the reason the dog can't fly apart from the sedation aspects?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:27   #6

Hi there,

Thanks.
No I definitely wouldn't want my dog to suffer - I would have thought that was glaringly obvious.
I'm female.
And I most definitely don't expect things for free; I don't have a sense of entitlement.
But thanks for making all those character assumptions.
If the vessel weren't large enough to minimize the effect of sea-sickness, then you're right it's out of the question. Even that in itself may be a naive comment from someone who does not have any ocean experience.

You do realize that it's possible to answer people that post earnest questions without the use of sarcasm and without shooting people down?
It's fairly passive aggressive to talk about (write about) someone in the third person, on that someone's.... own thread.
I appreciate your help, thanks.

In respect of the question about sedation... I've exhausted all avenues. Again there is no way I'd be making inquiries about sea travel, had I not throughly assessed the air travel options and implications.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I appreciate your input.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bee.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34   #8
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks.
No I definitely wouldn't want my dog to suffer - I would have thought that was glaringly obvious.
I'm female.
And I most definitely don't expect things for free; I don't have a sense of entitlement.
If the vessel weren't large enough to minimize the effect of sea-sickness, then you're right it's out of the question. Even that in itself may be a naive comment from someone who does not have any ocean experience.

You do realize that it's possible to answer people that post earnest questions without the use of sarcasm and without shooting people down?
It's fairly passive aggressive to talk about (write about) someone in the third person, on that someone's.... own thread.

In respect of the question about sedation... I've exhausted all avenues. Again there is no way I'd be making inquiries about sea travel, had I not throughly assessed the air travel options and implications.
OK, you probably haven't travelled by yacht to NZ; however I have and I can tell you that any boat that is smaller than a commercial ship will probably make you and your dog seasick even if only for a few days out of 14+ days the trip will last.

Let's look at the air travel again. I am assuming you have only considered commercial air travel and that the only reason you can't do that is because you believe the dog must sedated.

Another option is to consider air travel by a small general aviation aircraft. Clearly this won't be cheap option but it might be viable. The dog would not need to be sedated and you could travel with him/her. Again I am assuming it is a medium to small dog. Travel time would be in the order of a day and most likely involve a stop at Lord Howe Island (with departure from NSW).

I'm sure it would take some searching to find someone who could help but then again, I have known several people over the years who have flown from Aus to NZ in very small aircraft (4+ seats). While it won't be a comfortable trip, it would be way way better than 2 weeks in the Tasman and be over in a day.

By the way, welcome to CF, I missed that it was your first post earlier and I do hope you find a way to get your best friend to NZ.

It did cross my mind that this thread was posted on April 1st but I have chosen to trust that it is a genuine request - If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:48   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks.
I'm female.

Whoa! You asked some questions and received an earnest reply. I did not read any sarcasm or that you were denigrated in any way. You sound pretty stressed about taking your dog to New Zealand and that stress might be colouring how you view the answers you recieve. The folk on this forum will take your question seriously but they will be frank with their answers. That is not a reflection of lack of respect for you.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moving from Oz to NZ with my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Whoa! You asked some questions and received an earnest reply. I did not read any sarcasm or that you were denigrated in any way. You sound pretty stressed about taking your dog to New Zealand and that stress might be colouring how you view the answers you recieve. The folk on this forum will take your question seriously but they will be frank with their answers. That is not a reflection of lack of respect for you.
Welcome to CF Bee..
I think Bee found the phrase 'Hitch Hike' offensive..
I guess she presumes hitch hikers to be bums rather than folks wishing to get somewhere when other means of transport are not available or suited to ones needs.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:29   #11

Thank you, Boatman. "I guess she presumes" is a presumption; the irony. No I don't think that hitch hikers are bums. You don't need to exalt their virtues before one.... who believes that life is an adventure. Truly.

Neither am I offended: the entire post (as made by Kate) was unnecessary and added no value. It also implied calamity and its consequent massive inconvenience and/or impossibility (namely at-sea emergency veterinary medical intervention). It's just commentary for commentary's sake. A bit like your own post? At best it's ..... ? credentialing posts, but I was under the impression that this was a, "Forum". An information/data/guidance/experience-sharing forum? At (the very) best, then, it was explaining to your readership, what question I was actually asking: something I had already done, no?

Sea dreaming: hello. Thanks for your input. Just so you know: I like frankness. And no, I'm not stressed. This is not a time-imperative exercise; not even mandatory. Merely, desired....
And, in the end, Australia is an exquisitely beautiful place...

Wotname: thanks. That is thoroughly... measured & rounded 👍. Incidentally, I've checked out chartered flights and, with a 29kg dog, it's not at all... a done deal. We shall see.
I thought it might be ? easy/rapid/non-invasive to make aquanautical inquiries 😉 in the interim. Thank you for the wealth of information you've offered.
No, you're not an April fool, nor any other type thereof, I should imagine. Especially if you are commandeering sea-faring vessels, I should hope. I'm not sure why you feel slightly differently, having been armed with the knowledge that this is my first post. Am I to process this as... mercy for the rookie? One sincerely hopes not. Tell me, please, that this is not a.... "My boat'a bigger than yours" forum. My instinct tells me that it is not. Hur. Raa.

GordMay, I say. I felt that; thank you.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56   #12

Hey Bee,

I understand that you're new to the forum, however, Ann T. Cate is a long time member who I have found to be consistently kind, gracious and well-informed with her responses. She takes time from her day to allow others to benefit from her experience.

On an Internet forum, it's not uncommon for someone to reply with a post that attempts to clarify the OP's intent. Especially if the OP is whining about being thirsty, instead of asking for a glass of water.

Finally, this is a cruising forum. Which means it tends to be populated by folks who boat for pleasure. If I was sailing from OZ to NZ, my impression is that you would not be a pleasure to have along.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55   #13

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

I'm with jibstay on this one, last sentence in particular.

Imagine being offended two days into a Tasman crossing with twelve to go, and a sick dog.

I'll probably regret posting this and yes Ann is a great and consistent resource of wise advice.

If the dog cannot fly or take commercial shipping perhaps time to realize this is the choice one has made and will be limited to Oz for the rest of his or her life. That's ok, yes?
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:07   #14

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Hi and welcome to forum.

I have no idea about the trip between Oz and NZ but sailors have their own jargon and there is a relationship between many of us here, even if we've never met. You asked a question that needed translating into our jargon. That's what Ann T Cate was doing.

I'm female, I have a dog I adore (many of us do). Please do not take offense if the answer to the question does not meet your expectations. I've been a member here for years and have found it to be 89.7% very helpful - no patronizing, no condescension. It's just that you are more likely to get a unadorned, straightforward answer to any questions you may ask.

I hope you and your dog get there safe and well.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:41   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you and/or your dog have no sailing experience, and just want to be passengers, then you really have no place aboard a sailboat. Getting paid for passage would also invalidate most sailboat insurance policies. You are looking for a ferry or commercial marine vessel.

To have a dog aboard a sailing vessel is a dangerous endeavor unto itself, and not to be taken lightly. The dogs you see aboard sailing yachts have been trained, acclimatized, and cared for by their owners, sometimes over years, in order to share the experience. And I can assure you that these owners make sacrifices in order to have their pets aboard.

I understand the love one can have for their dog. But it is not appropriate to equate a pet with a human being. You are welcome to live your life as you wish, but your dog will always be a pet, nothing more. A dog is a best friend you can lock in a cage when you don't need him.

You do not explain why your dog cannot fly or be shipped as cargo aboard a freighter. Perhaps if you give us more detailed information you could get better advice. The speculation would be that you don't think air travel offered by most carriers is humane enough for your special pet. Tell us that isn't true. Whatever discomfort you may think a pet may experience on an airplane, I can assure you that the discomfort is so very much worse on a sailboat, and lasts for weeks rather than hours. Some people who are seasick for a prolonged period actually wish for death to end the agony. A storm at sea, or a rough crossing may be the apex of a sailors career, or the stuff of nightmares.

And finally, you do seem to have touched a nerve with this thread. Perhaps its because its a sailing forum, and you express no interest in sailing? To ask for a ride is to imply that we are all just driving our boat-cars around the world at our leisure.

You have asked for advice. My advice is to revisit travel by air. Or maybe, if you are truly sincere....learn to sail, buy a boat, and make the passage yourself with your dog. That is a reality tv show I would definitely watch.

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote