Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2016, 12:16   #1

Mecca(Jeddah) to Salalah

We are looking for an experienced Captain and crew to sail two 42-46' sailboats (still to be decided upon which one) from Mecca to Salalah.

Preferred time would be around October.

We are planning to sail from Europe to Mecca ourselfs but looking for an experienced crew to conduct the most challenging part.

Please contact me directly for further details, thanks very much!
Old 22-04-2016, 12:40   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Mecca(Jeddah) to Salalah

You might sail to Jedah, but those last few miles to Mecca could be difficult.
Old 22-04-2016, 12:54   #3

Looks like we got a volunteer for the entertainment!
Old 23-04-2016, 01:22   #4

Check entry requirement for Jeddah, Saudi visas can be difficult to get. However please keep me posted, my also need to get a boat from the Med to Dubai

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-04-2016, 05:26   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You might sail to Jedah, but those last few miles to Mecca could be difficult.
I second that, not only innland, but almost 1,000 feet above Sea level.
Horrible place, why would anybody in their right mind want to go there?
Old 23-04-2016, 06:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM-Yachting View Post
We are looking for an experienced Captain and crew to sail two 42-46' sailboats (still to be decided upon which one) from Mecca to Salalah.

Preferred time would be around October.

We are planning to sail from Europe to Mecca ourselfs but looking for an experienced crew to conduct the most challenging part.

Please contact me directly for further details, thanks very much!

Not sure "challenging" is the right word... if somebody can rent me an M134 I'll go though
Old 23-04-2016, 06:51   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I thought that Jedda is a closed port. No foreigners allowed on private boats at all even if Muslim.

Noonsite.com

"Yachts are allowed to enter these ports, which are the main ports of Saudi Arabia, only in an emergency.

Mira' al Jeddah **,*Yanbu'al Bahr (Yenbo or Yambo) *

* indicates port of entry

"

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 23-04-2016, 12:45   #8

Thanks for that MarkJ. We are very much still at the orientating stage to see if this option in the end is more favorable then shipping by cargo. Haven't studied the exact route yet but I did thought Jeddah to be relatively safe and open regarding to cruising vessels. I'm very aware of the difficulties in this region but as we aren't planning to wave American or Israeli flags around, will dress properly, leave the (half)naked magazines at home and just mind our own business of topping up I think its a safer stop then Egypt, Eritrea or Sudan.

I put Mecca in the header because I hadn't discovered yet that there are flights going straight to Jeddah so please disregard the whole Mecca portion. Don't know how to delete it but if anybody does please let me know!

Anyway, it shows exactly the reason why we are looking and willing to pay for an experienced Captain to assist and advise us in the planning and execution.

Will keep you posted avi8tor_dxb. What vessel are you looking to move and are you planning to do it yourself? I guess its always smart to travel thru the HRA with a group of vessels.
Old 23-04-2016, 12:58   #9

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I believe there are only two types of visas for Saudi Arabia: for Mecca pilgrimage and for work. When applying for a work visa, you need a Saudi sponsor.

Alain
Old 23-04-2016, 13:20   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

assuming you guys are not total dreamers as so often happens on this site..........
port ghalib in Egypt might be a better bet for a change over or hurghada.
Old 23-04-2016, 13:48   #11

Noonsite does appear to leave the door open in case a trip receives permission in advance. Will schedule a visit with the Saudi Embassy and see what are the obstacles.

Thanks for the advice Atoll. Will look into that as well. Although I am actually more concerned with traveling thru Egypt then S.A. this may end up being our only option then. Good to get in touch with you though! I received your forum name from one of the Yacht Delivery websites I enquired. Did not know how to contact you directly so I hoped this thread would attract your attention. Please let me know if you would be interested and available for this job.

And to answer your comment, yes we are very serious. We are just evaluating if the costs and risks of sailing the boats will outweigh shipping them via cargo. If they could just all get a long over there in Yemen the decision would be a lot easier.
Old 23-04-2016, 20:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM-Yachting View Post
Noonsite does appear to leave the door open in case a trip receives permission in advance. Will schedule a visit with the Saudi Embassy and see what are the obstacles.

Thanks for the advice Atoll. Will look into that as well. Although I am actually more concerned with traveling thru Egypt then S.A. this may end up being our only option then. Good to get in touch with you though! I received your forum name from one of the Yacht Delivery websites I enquired. Did not know how to contact you directly so I hoped this thread would attract your attention. Please let me know if you would be interested and available for this job.

And to answer your comment, yes we are very serious. We are just evaluating if the costs and risks of sailing the boats will outweigh shipping them via cargo. If they could just all get a long over there in Yemen the decision would be a lot easier.
pm sent,check your inbox which is accesed under "private messages" at the top right of the page,i had a look at your face book page and see you are in muscat!

welcome to the forum
Old 23-04-2016, 23:15   #13

I am a pensioner with great taste of the sea and so much time available. I spent most of life Among the ships having had a business selling and repairing electrical apparatus on board. My duties on board could be: 1st mate or cook. Languages: Italian German English and a little bit of Portuguese.Have no problems about time or distance.I participated in fishing research in canada europe and Indian Ocean with innovative systems.Have a driver's license without limits for sail and motor. log trip experience with motor boat, not much with sailboat, last sail trip from Venezuela to Panama.Thanks -
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14   #14

Boat: kelly peterson 44

I might be interested depending on what costs you are willing to cover i have been to both of those ports. I have a USCG unlimited Masters License I have a lot of experience in the red sea and the gulf. I am currently in Panama on my 44ft cutter rigged Kelly Peterson(shelter bay Marina) taking her through the canal next month and on to Ecuador to wait for a February crossing to the south pac.