Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2019, 22:11   #1

Maryland to San Juan Pearson 30

Good evening, I moved down to San Juan about a year ago. I have been looking and found a Pearson 30 that is in good condition in the Maryland area. I do not have the time to sail it down to San Juan so I am looking into hiring someone. I am trying to see if this is cost effective or a pipe dream.

I have no time requirements.
anddy103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:23   #2

Re: Maryland to San Juan Pearson 30

Hey there!

I live out here in Mass. My significant other and I sail to San Juan from New England pretty often. We can make a little vacation out of it since we’re actually going to be in Maryland for a business venture approximately March 11th. P.R. Is really amazing in the spring, we’d likely hang around for a while and then fly back into Logan.

Let me know if you’re still looking for someone! Don’t let anyone charge you for an awesome trip like that.
Mrlucerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 42

I’d be willing to discuss it with you, but unlike Mr Lucerov, I would charge you. PM if you like.
Pete/USCG Masters licensed
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlucerov View Post
Hey there!
Let me know if you’re still looking for someone! Don’t let anyone charge you for an awesome trip like that.
Your statement is totally uncalled for. Are you telling us that profesion captains and deleivey crews have no right to make a fair living, or you are just so desperate to go somewhere.

Why don't you just offer your service and let the OP makes his own decision. There is no reason to step on other to elevate yourself.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

I agree with rockDAWG. I am reminded of a sign that hangs in a very busy marine services shop near Annapolis. It reads "Attention Sailors. The wind may be free but we charge $125 per hour" And that fee by the way, is way, way more than delivery captains charge per hour, and they are working 24/7, sometimes in challenging and even dangerous situations. Of course, the owner does not have the time to sail it himself, presumably because he is busy earning a living so he can also buy the boat. So if someone else comes along willing to make this trip, that person either needs to earn a living as a captain, is wealthy enough not to work or similarly, is retired and looking for some fun and adventures. Either way, which person is more likely to get there in a safe, reasonable and timely manner? know the answer to that one. Just as there is nothing more expensive than a "free" boat, sometimes there is nothing more expensive than a "free" delivery. There are 3 Pearson 30's in Maryland listed on yachtworld between 14 and 29k right now. My first question is why not buy a similar boat already in the Caribbean or Florida for less money and move it for less money? Why is a Pearson 30 so special that it has to be moved so far? The second one is if you do hire a professional crew for such a trip, it will cost an additional expense at perhaps as much as 50% of the cost of the boat once you factor in airfares, preparation, extra gear, food and crew fees....
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 17:33   #6

Hey if you are still around I found a different boat but same trip. Shoot me a email or text me
anddy103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 08:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

I have just started a boat delivery business.
Not ready for a trip like yours but I thought you might want to know what the industry charges for a typical trip.

To start with you will need insurance on your boat and you will need to put the delivery Captain and Crew on the insurance.
Your insurance company will most likely require a licensed Master and mate(crew of 2).
Licensed Masters charge in the $300 per day range and mates charge about $150 per day for a total of $450 per day.
The 2 would also expect a plane ticket home from the destination.
Since this is a new to you boat expect the Delivery Boat Captain will require 1 day to inspect the boat and maybe more time to get stuff fixed.
Depending on what needs to be fixed you may need to have someone else other then the Delivery Boat Captain fix it.

I would recommend you get the boat surveyed and get everything fixed that needs to be fixed for an off shore passage before arranging for a Delivery Boat crew.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maryland, pearson, pearson 30, san juan