Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 10:58   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Looking for gay couple to crew catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZUS View Post
I'm not gay, but am willing to learn!
Hmmm, nature vs nuture...can you learn to be gay? Or were you referring to sailing? [emoji16]
Old 28-06-2018, 11:21   #17

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

It is irrelevant to any sexual orientation race or colour, we should be allowed to express our choice of people we want to be around and be able in a free speech society express our concerns or feelings in an honest and constructive manner without being vilified for what we say. The problem I thing with the add is the sinister way in which if specifies young and gay , with no other information regarding skipper or other crew, this could be like asking for 2 young girls to come crew , what are the main motivations to THE question being asked
Old 28-06-2018, 11:40   #18

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Probably a rich gay owner who wants his help to be eye-candy for him as well. Happens all the time on superyacht crews, except hetero young women. Both cases superficial and sad, and possibly illegal, except there are always wording arrangements that circumvent that.
Old 28-06-2018, 11:42   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
Yea, but if they’d said heterosexual couple, or white couple, they’d be vilified...
Maybe, but they didn't, did they?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-06-2018, 15:11   #20

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No, they didn’t. I really didn’t mean to start a fight, I was only pointing out what I thought was curiously obvious. I apologize if it offended anyone.
Old 28-06-2018, 16:27   #21

But they don't specify what sex, male or female couple? Or maybe that doesn't matter, just gay.
Old 28-06-2018, 21:13   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayski View Post
But they don't specify what sex, male or female couple? Or maybe that doesn't matter, just gay.
One of the biggest weaknesses of sailors, is that we get obsessed with definitions.

So to help the OP, let's just clarify.

Does Gay apply to:
1 Transvestites?
2 A person that swings both ways?
3 An effeminate, intelligent man, with a sense of humor?
4 Can one be Gay and the other just accepting ?

I hope the OP clarifies for us to put our detail addicted minds to rest.....then maybe we might know of a suitable couple who they should consider? [emoji4]

Best of luck and congrats on your new boat.
Old 29-06-2018, 01:05   #23

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

So much win Pelagic.
Old 29-06-2018, 04:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
Why gay ?
Why do you care?
Old 29-06-2018, 05:09   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
No, they didn’t. I really didn’t mean to start a fight, I was only pointing out what I thought was curiously obvious. I apologize if it offended anyone.
Nobody's fighting, and I don't think anyone was offended. If someone needs crew and would be more comfortable if that crew was gay, that's perfectly OK on here, and you can say so. Heterosexual people are in the majority, have not suffered discrimination or exclusion because of their sexuality, and it is permissible to assume that they won't be offended by such an ad. If someone needs crew and would be more comfortable if that crew were NOT gay, then of course that's also OK, but you have to be careful what you say, because gay people are a minority who have suffered discrimination and exclusion. Some people would call that "political correctness" (something which in its true form I personally abhor) but in this case, it is just elementary good manners. It is not a symmetrical situation, because hetero and homo people do not experience the same degree of acceptance in our society, and those of us in the privileged majority need to show some consideration to those who have not enjoyed the same degree of acceptance.

At least, that's the way my grandmother would have explained the rules of decent, polite society, and it still sounds right to me today. YMMV.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-06-2018, 05:40   #26

Quote:
If you mean did they specify an inappropriate job qualification, they definitely did. Shouldn't matter what their preference is.

The point that if it had been a heterosexual poster asking for applicants of his preferred orientation, they would have been vilified for it. If it's acceptable for one group to discriminate for a job, it should be good for other groups to discriminate.

Honestly, I don't care. I'd rather deal with someone honest and save my time and effort. Realistically, the employer if they have half a brain will simply select what they are looking for and not tell anyone why they made the selection.

Of course, there are side effects of this. Many companies have a policy of not providing applicants any feedback because it might get used against them. The result is people struggle not knowing what they are doing wrong because everyone is afraid to tell them.
Old 29-06-2018, 05:52   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Hmmm, the OP's posting history raises a couple of questions.
Old 29-06-2018, 06:34   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you mean did they specify an inappropriate job qualification, they definitely did. Shouldn't matter what their preference is.

The point that if it had been a heterosexual poster asking for applicants of his preferred orientation, they would have been vilified for it. If it's acceptable for one group to discriminate for a job, it should be good for other groups to discriminate.
It's not a symmetrical situation at all, so the fact a hetero might be "villified" for specifying "no gays" is not relevant to whether a homo might specify the opposite.

If for no other reason that he is saving the time and trouble of the 90% or whatever of sailors who are straight, who would be wasting their time applying for this position, only to be refused for unclear reasons after the information about the applicant's sexual orientation has been teased out somehow.

The opposite is not true, because even an intolerant hetero boat owner, will not get 90% unsuitable candidates with an ad which doesn't say anything about sexual orientation.

I have had a lot of volunteer crew on my boat over the years, many of them met anonymously through Crewseekers and the like. Naturally a few of them have been gay. It has distressed me to see the extent to which the homosexuals among these crews -- without any single exception -- have felt it necessary to conceal their sexual orientation. This is not good. We should be more tolerant and accepting. But in cases like this, we should also have some understanding of the fear of intolerance. It is well founded, unfortunately.

That's the other reason why someone might naturally specify that the crew should be gay or at least be very open from the beginning that the owner is -- it could be a very rude experience to find yourself in the close company of someone who violently opposes your sexual preference.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-06-2018, 07:10   #29

Quote:
It's not a symmetrical situation at all, so the fact a hetero might be "villified" for specifying "no gays" is not relevant to whether a homo might specify the opposite.

If for no other reason that he is saving the time and trouble of the 90% or whatever of sailors who are straight, who would be wasting their time applying for this position, only to be refused for unclear reasons after the information about the applicant's sexual orientation has been teased out somehow.

The opposite is not true, because even an intolerant hetero boat owner, will not get 90% unsuitable candidates with an ad which doesn't say anything about sexual orientation.

I have had a lot of volunteer crew on my boat over the years, many of them met anonymously through Crewseekers and the like. Naturally a few of them have been gay. It has distressed me to see the extent to which the homosexuals among these crews -- without any single exception -- have felt it necessary to conceal their sexual orientation. This is not good. We should be more tolerant and accepting. But in cases like this, we should also have some understanding of the fear of intolerance. It is well founded, unfortunately.

That's the other reason why someone might naturally specify that the crew should be gay or at least be very open from the beginning that the owner is -- it could be a very rude experience to find yourself in the close company of someone who violently opposes your sexual preference.
Either it's OK to discriminate or it's not. How convenient it is to do so, doesn't change right vs wrong.

I'm confused why your crew need to hide their orientation. Is that something you ask about before they sign on? Is so, why? Unless there is some job function that would be affected by their orientation (and I struggle to think of one that isn't really creepy and illegal in many countries), I don't see asking about it as a legitimate question for a crew position.

Yes, a boat is tight quarters but really no different from a mixed male/female crew. If you can't keep your libido under control for the duration of the passage, probably better not to be on the crew regardless of your orientation.
Old 29-06-2018, 07:20   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

I just clicked on the thread because I expected there to be entertainment on it and it lived up to to that. How's that for knowing the crowd?

Tags
catamaran, crew, gay