Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 06:21   #1

Looking for captain for boat relocation - Soutwest Florida

Good morning all,

My wife and I are working out the details of purchasing a new to us sailboat, not quite a done deal yet but it's looking good so I am looking for an experienced captain to help with relocation of said boat. I have some sailing experience but my wife has very little and likely wouldn't be free to make this trip, being I'm still a novice and haven't sailed these waters much I'd like some assistance.

Timing would be flexible - likely late April or Early May.

The route would be from the Sarasota / Longboat Key area down to Punta Gorda at the north end of Charlotte Harbor. I would prefer to go with as crew, I am fine with either the Gulf route or ICW, staying at marinas or just pushing through, overnight motoring/sailing or not, pretty much whatever the captain we choose would prefer.

The boat has limited electronics - right now just a VHF (need to confirm what it has for an antenna and where), an AM/FM radio, and an old depth sounder. I may have a newer Chartplotter installed prior to the trip but I can't commit to that yet. She is a 28' boat, new 150 genoa on roller furling, decent main, yanmar engine rebuilt a couple hundred hours ago, new batteries, wheel steering, plumbing works, etc.

Any questions please let me know - if you are able to help out please provide some details about yourself and what kind of compensation you would require for such a trip. You can PM me here or email me - mklukas a(t) gmail

Best Regards
Matt
picklz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 05:14   #2

Re: Looking for captain for boat relocation - Soutwest Florida

Its a pretty straight forward route if you have some experience you should have no issues on your own. You could make it in day light hours especially motoring the outside. You could also come out Venice inlet and into Boca Grande pass if the wind was right for sailing. You could break it up into two easy days anchoring at Cayo Costa/Pelican Bay. Are you taking the boat into the lock and then Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage?
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Looking for captain for boat relocation - Soutwest Florida

Just buy either Boat US or Seatow towing Insurence, that way you want need a tow from bad fuel or whatever.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 06:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I sent a PM - since you are new you may not be able to access my info. You can check my website www.USCGMaster.com.

Yes- seatow or BoatUS are “must haves”. Get them through West Marine and you get points for all the stuff you will be buying.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:21   #5

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Congrats, I am in Sarasota, have A Tayana 37 downtown. I could help you guys, any questions feel free to contact

Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:33   #6

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Oops, I was born and raised here in Sarasota, lost count of how many times I have sailed to Bocca Grand Pass, love the area, its a nice day trip.

Sea Tow or boat US unlimited towing, the best money spent like others have said. I have been sailing since 13 Y/O, I am 59, have done the trip countless times. weather permitting outside from Longboat Pass to Bocca Grande pass is beautiful, inter- coastal is kinda boring, anyway, good luck have fun.

I don't really want to do trip if alone,, much better if you are on board, you will learn much in short time.

Cheers

B
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, captain, florida