Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 21:02   #1

Looking 4 Crew San Diego To Hawaii

looking for crew San Diego to Hawaii end of May first of June on board a well equipped well prepped hunter passage 42 would prefer a couple though single men or women are ok also

new rigging running and standing new 406 eperb 6 person serviced liferaft water maker generator solar panels and wind gen 8 sails new electronics satilite system and other safety gear

email with phone number if interested
Old 28-03-2016, 02:31   #2

Re: looking 4 crew sandiego to Hawaii

Hello,
I am interested in this trip and have often thought about it for my own boat over the 20 years I spent sailing in S Cal out of Long Beach and San Pedro. Never did it, but on the right boat it could be quite something. I have skippered my own boat, more recently from Seattle to Ketchecan (2013) and Seattle to LA then Galvaston to Stuart, Florida (2014). I did the Atlantic crossing as skipper once some years ago - (Falmouth UK to LA in 1983/4 ). Latley we have been exploying S Florida and the Keys.

I am in very good health, am 65 and physically fit with no medical conditions or infirmity and can run around a deck when needed. I have no particular food preferences or allergies.

I have and electronics engineering degree and have repaired most things on my boat over the years.

I do know what an effort it is to put together a trip like this and would happy to discuss this more by phone or preferably skype video call if you are interested.

Kind regards

Eric Palmer
currently wintering in Florida
email eric42p@frontier.com
skype eric42p1
home phone : 772 210 5264
Old 29-03-2016, 07:41   #3

Brian and Lisa here. We have interest to help you. 5417605957 thank you.
Old 30-03-2016, 15:36   #4

Hello Brian

I have sent you an email and will try to call. I think I found a very big problem with your plan and would like you to check your regular email to read about the issue.

Regards

Eric
Old 31-03-2016, 13:39   #5

Howdy,

If you're interested my name is Ray, I'm 23 and I'd love to be a member of your crew! I did sailing through college and am taking a year off to travel and see the world, I've biked/camped Seattle to Portland, and jetsetted, bussed, trained and drove to 20 countries and 28 states in the last 2.5 years, but I have yet to make a voyage of significant distance! Not to mention Hawaii would be my 29th state! I understand how to man sails and steer small to medium sized craft and am a fast learner. Plus if we're attacked by Pirates I'm a pretty decent fencer!

Anyway if you wanna make me crap my pants with happiness my number is 2062398179
Old 31-03-2016, 14:02   #6

Hello Tim,
Sorry for the confusion regarding your name but contrary to your belief the US Government National Hurricane Center states very clearly that hurricane season starts in mid May through November and so do many other sites including Wikipedia. Here are the links to those and I hope you will be safe and postpone your trip until it is over. Please take the time to check this information for yourself and do not rely on word of mouth no matter how qualified it seem to be.

NHC Active Tropical Cyclones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_P...rricane_season

Eric
Old 31-03-2016, 17:42   #7

End of May is pretty ideal for that route leaving socal. There's no perfect time but there's a reason everyone goes around that time since your odds of a good passage are high.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-04-2016, 17:43   #8

yes the government considers that hurricane season. hurricanes are in the Atlantic typhoons are the Pacific. Insurance companies will not insure a crossing from September to April and consider this time typhoon season. many experienced blue water sailors and the pacific cup consider a early to mid summer crossing the best safest bet. though a weather router is also a good choice to use for planning and safety I have been consulting with two sailors that have together crossed this route over 30 times racing and cruising. A good captain will listen to his crew before making a decision that will effect them all
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20   #9

Re: Looking 4 Crew San Diego To Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPerserverance View Post
looking for crew San Diego to Hawaii end of May first of June on board a well equipped well prepped hunter passage 42 would prefer a couple though single men or women are ok also

new rigging running and standing new 406 eperb 6 person serviced liferaft water maker generator solar panels and wind gen 8 sails new electronics satilite system and other safety gear

email with phone number if interested
Hello,
My name is Christian and I'm a native San Diegan (we're very rare). I'm 36 and very physically fit. I have a little Ericson 38 docked in the Coronado Cays. I am by no means an expert sailor, but I know a bit, and am a quick learner. My girlfriend is 25 years old, very adventurous (loves going up the mast), and also very fit. We live in downtown San Diego and would love to explore this opportunity since we plan to live on a Lagoon as soon as it feasible. This would be a good blue water warm up and learning experience for us!
Cheers,
Christian Marshall
christian@fidelitybusiness.org
858-692-8366
Old 03-04-2016, 11:49   #10

What year is the boat?
Old 03-04-2016, 16:21   #11

My boat is a1992 hunter passage 42 ft
Old 03-04-2016, 23:23   #12

Boat: Other Peoples Boats :0)

Looks like a great trip SVPerserverance! Enjoy watching the process.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:56   #13

Boat: Endeavour 35.

I will throw my name in the hat also. I have some sailing experience Have owned sailboats. Commercial fished Alaska years ago. 56 year old male. Good health. If I am needed we can talk more.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-04-2016, 11:26   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPerserverance View Post
yes the government considers that hurricane season. hurricanes are in the Atlantic typhoons are the Pacific. Insurance companies will not insure a crossing from September to April and consider this time typhoon season. many experienced blue water sailors and the pacific cup consider a early to mid summer crossing the best safest bet. though a weather router is also a good choice to use for planning and safety I have been consulting with two sailors that have together crossed this route over 30 times racing and cruising. A good captain will listen to his crew before making a decision that will effect them all
I think you are confusing northern hemisphere vs. southern, and eastern Pacific vs. western.

The eastern Pacific hurricane season runs from approximately June to November (why the Baja HaHa leaves your hometown after Halloween). Western/South Pacific cyclone or typhoon season is the opposite, from about November to April (broad generalizations).

There have been 38 hurricanes that hit Hawaii in the last ~60 years, about 1/3 of those in September, the bulk of the remainder spread out between July and December. Arriving Hawaii ~June will put you there at the height of the hurricane season. Not saying you shouldn't do, just should be aware of the ramifications.
Old 05-04-2016, 17:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The four mainland-to-Hawaii races (TransPac, Pacific Cup, Vic-Maui, and Singlehanded TransPac) all leave California or Vancouver Island in early July, or sometimes late June. There have been a few times when a hurricane or storm has caused problems, but you can usually see the tropical depressions forming long before they might hit Hawaii (and they usually don't), and you have plenty of time to wait or divert if necessary. I've sailed from California to Hawaii six times in the last eleven years, always leaving in late June or early July, without any issues. I've also sailed back to the mainland in July or August with no problems. If anything this is easier to plan, since once you are a few hundred miles north of the Islands you're pretty much out of reach of the hurricane systems.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed good sailing -- in mid-July 2014 a cruiser got hammered pretty well by the remnants of a hurricane that moved over Oahu, just after I arrived. But these were just storm or gale-strength winds, not hurricane force.

I wouldn't not go in early July, but rather I would (and do) watch the weather and be prepared to wait it out if necessary. If you leave much earlier than July then you have to deal with a poorly-focused and well-south Pacific High, which makes the sailing less enjoyable. Of course, sometimes the Pacific High is misbehaving well into July as well, so there are no guarantees.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com

Tags
crew, hawaii