Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 21:06   #46

Boat: too many
Re: live aboard thailand

To give the $15 USD perspective, SeaLand would pay $400 USD per 8 hour shift to night mate. A qualified applicant would of course have their Thai work visa along with a Unlimited Tonnage license. This was about 20 years ago, don't know the current rates.
Old 24-01-2015, 21:06   #47

Are his marketing skills so bad? Is the OP perhaps a bit more savvy than credited. He's got 3 pages of discussion so far, instead of perhaps 1 or 2 replies.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-01-2015, 21:15   #48

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916senna View Post
Are his marketing skills so bad? Is the OP perhaps a bit more savvy than credited. He's got 3 pages of discussion so far, instead of perhaps 1 or 2 replies.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sadly negative replies for the most part :-/
Old 25-01-2015, 06:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannadriveaboat View Post
Want to live on a beautiful 81ft ketch in Phuket?
Easy work. Cheap pay
Count me in please! I need a nautical mile builder. I am now on Antigua WI completing first aid, and the VHF radio by Feb-2nd.

I am fine with whatever needs to be done.

Sincerely TEK
Old 25-01-2015, 07:51   #50

Quote:
A copy of a private message

Not very specific but anyway

You will be living on a boat that has just finished a major 1 year overhaul
You will have a very nice private cabin with private bathroom
We will be anchored most of the time. In Patong bay
I would like you on the boat most of the time with one day a week off. Very flexible
There is a RIB, a dinghy, and soon a jet ski to use if you know how
There might be about 1 charter a month and a the owner goes for a ride about once a week
I would like a few hours of stainless shining or varnishing each day. Take as many breaks as you want, but try to look like you are doing something during the day.
The main reason for this position is, the crew is Thai and there are always Thai contractors showing up. When I am not aboard and there are small problems to sort out. My limited Thai is usually not good enough for the phone. I would like to know what's going on when I'm not there
There is usually food in the galley, but no cook
You will be rewarded with the grand salary of 500 Baht a day
I would want you to stay a minimum of one month
You better get them a work permit or that person will find them self in a lot of trouble or deported. Most foreigners are nit sllowed to do any work a thai can do and the owner will also find himself in trouble. All it takes is one thai to complsin and the police will see money. 81ft boat yup lots of money. I have lived in Thailand for 5 years. Trust me one complaint and the owner will find himself paying. Work permits are specific to work duties. A non thai bar owner is not allowed to give you a drink or an ash tray. Tourism is down and the police are hungry. Do a search on what happens to a person without a work permit and owners without a work permit employing people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-01-2015, 08:24   #51

Volunteering is the same as working

Old 25-01-2015, 09:00   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
To give the $15 USD perspective, SeaLand would pay $400 USD per 8 hour shift to night mate. A qualified applicant would of course have their Thai work visa along with a Unlimited Tonnage license. This was about 20 years ago, don't know the current rates.
Thank you so much for clearing this all up !
Old 25-01-2015, 09:20   #53

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
Thank you so much for clearing this all up !
Just meant as a tongue in cheek reference for boat sitting. Pattaya was the turn around port for me and depending on arrival time I would have either 2 nights and one day or 2 days and one night off the ship.
Old 25-01-2015, 15:59   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
You better get them a work permit or that person will find them self in a lot of trouble or deported. Most foreigners are nit sllowed to do any work a thai can do and the owner will also find himself in trouble. All it takes is one thai to complsin and the police will see money. 81ft boat yup lots of money. I have lived in Thailand for 5 years. Trust me one complaint and the owner will find himself paying. Work permits are specific to work duties. A non thai bar owner is not allowed to give you a drink or an ash tray. Tourism is down and the police are hungry. Do a search on what happens to a person without a work permit and owners without a work permit employing people.

If anyone wants to takeup the offer that is their business but please do not bother crying about what ever happens if it goes wrong. Here is a nice example from a few days ago - have a look at the link and the discussion that followed. Best wishes.

Quote:
CHIANG MAI:-- Seventeen foreigners have been arrested for working illegally following a raid on a condominium in Chiang Mai.

The raid, which took place at 12.30am on Friday found 17 Westerners of various nationalities providing online English classes to people in China from a room in the ground floor of the Riverside Condo.

Upon being apprehended by police, the foreigners were asked to produce their passports and work permits.

However, whilst twelve of the individuals could produce their passports, they were unable to produce work permits.

Among those who could not produce work permits were three Americans, a Canadian, a German, a Dutch national, two Irish nationals, two Britons and two Australians.

As well as not having a work permit, it was also revealed that a fourth American was on overstay.

The remaining foreigners had passports and valid work permits but were in breach of work conditions.

According to the Bangkok Post, the foreigners had been hired by BOI 360 Max Co, however the online language school was found to be operating without permission.

10 notebook computers were also seized.

The foreigners now have of face charges of working illegally in Thailand and are currently being held at Mai Ping police station.

In order to work legally in Thailand foreigners are required to have a valid work permit and the appropriate Non-Immigrant visa/extension.
17 foreign ‘English teachers’ arrested in Chiang Mai for working illegally - Thailand News - Thailand Forum
Old 25-01-2015, 16:03   #55

I am my brothers keeper. Thank You we all do.
Old 26-01-2015, 00:32   #56

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Perhaps issues like work permits, etc, are why the original post was so very non-informative. Maybe the OP was hoping that some more direct communications from a potential "worker" would result, thus keeping the potentially illegal job under the radar.

I dunno, but the whole thing seems shady, or maybe a bit worse than that! HOpe that no innocents are harmed via an ad here on CF...

Jim
Old 13-02-2015, 18:34   #57

I am again looking for someone interested in joining our crew. I have had two people so far. One before I posted this and one who came from it. They both enjoyed it, and would be more than happy to come back, but have moved on..
Again, I have no problem in answering any specific questions from interested candidates.
Let's see if we can keep the stupid comments to a minimum this time
Old 13-02-2015, 18:40   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post
Count me in please! I need a nautical mile builder. I am now on Antigua WI completing first aid, and the VHF radio by Feb-2nd.

I am fine with whatever needs to be done.

Sincerely TEK
Sorry for not replying. I stopped looking at this post after I hired somebody. I was just sifting through some of the crap when I noticed it
Old 14-02-2015, 10:48   #59
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Again, I have no problem in answering any specific questions from interested candidates.
Let's see if we can keep the stupid comments to a minimum this time
Got my popcorn ready..........
Old 15-02-2015, 03:07   #60

I met with the skipper and everything checked out, I helped him out for 3 weeks and learnt a great deal about the boat. Dan is a very knowledgable experienced captain and if it wasn't for my visa expiring I would have loved to have stayed on the boat longer. The position is idea for someone who wants to gain experience in working in the industry and looking after a boat. It's a large comfortable 25m ketch with spacious rooms all ensures and a lovely dinning area. We only did motoring when guests/ owner came on board otherwise we were anchored. Fill your day will polishing , fixing stuff , driving the small rib and making sure the Thai workers do their jobs..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
Thailand