Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 11:41   #16

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran
Re: Lake Huron > Erie > Ontario > St Lawrence > Atlantic Summer 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
I am currently on about the same trip. Left Kingston Ont. a few days ago and currently in Montréal heading to Quebec City Saturday. You can get fuel and food along the way from Kingston. Spoke to US sailor who just did Oswego, NY to Montreal. Fuel not a problem for his route. Motored to Montreal however with currents from high water, averaged 8-10 knots sog. A veritable sled ride. Montreal is 1.75 meters over datum this week however there is access to all yacht clubs. The Seaway put out a notice about currents due to historic water release at Cornwall dam. I did not have any trouble and thought to myself, some of the currents in 1000 Islands were worse. I am at Pointe Claire Yacht Club and it is probably the only time I could go there as I draw 7 feet. As for down river from Montréal, everything is operating as normal. I assume you have researched the currents around Quebec City and downriver from there. Quebec has 18 foot tides. My destination is Isles de la Madeleine. Returning upstream in August. Look out for me and we can maybe raise a glass!
Hello ardbeg:

Concerning this information, I'd buy you two pints of beer.
Thanks for that.

I will try to send you a PM so we can keep in touch.

--- Dan
escale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:56   #17

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

[QUOTE=ardbeg;2421836]I am currently on about the same trip. Left Kingston Ont. a few days ago and currently in Montréal heading to Quebec City Saturday. ...My destination is Isles de la Madeleine. Returning upstream in August. QUOTE]

Don't mean to take a thread off topic, but with the level of water release currently at a historic maximum, and possibly going higher, won't the current prohibit running upstream?

Now, back on topic.

As far as the south (NY) side of Lake Ontario/ St. Lawrence:

Sodus has fuel at the south end as well as dockage. Little dockage or fuel elsewhere (e.g., Sodus Point).

Little Sodus (Fairhaven) should have fuel and floaters at the north end; south end doubtful.

Don't know about Sackett's.

Cape Vincent reported to be under water, including municipal pier. Don't know about fuel at the marina.

Alex Bay reported to have launched a floater dock.

I suggest as your trip progresses you keep a running thread so local boaters can appraise you of where to get fuel, food, and dockage.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 12:03   #18

More information for potential crew.

You will absolutely need a current update to date passport.
Coast guards on both sides of the border have the right to board and I will yield if requested.
They will be looking for illegal immigrants crossing both ways.
They will be looking for illegal drug smuggling.
They will be looking for illegal arms and ammunition.
Anything even appearing illegal could get us towed in for a full inspection.
Anyone with some kind of priors or bench warrants will certainly be placed under arrest.
I don't want to be held up on some kind of aiding or abetting charge.
The only kinds of drugs we can carry are those legally prescribed to you by a doctor.

We will be definitely be landing on both Canadian and US ports to stock up and refuel.
So count on someone of authority flashing a badge who will have some questions.

I don't want to start a discussion here about everyone's coast guard story, But, I believe there are other forums here with dialogs about engagements with authority. You may want to check them out.

--- Dan
Old 27-06-2017, 12:29   #19

[QUOTE=Tetepare;2422266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbeg View Post
I am currently on about the same trip. Left Kingston Ont. a few days ago and currently in Montréal heading to Quebec City Saturday. ...My destination is Isles de la Madeleine. Returning upstream in August. QUOTE]

Don't mean to take a thread off topic, but with the level of water release currently at a historic maximum, and possibly going higher, won't the current prohibit running upstream?

Now, back on topic.

As far as the south (NY) side of Lake Ontario/ St. Lawrence:

Sodus has fuel at the south end as well as dockage. Little dockage or fuel elsewhere (e.g., Sodus Point).

Little Sodus (Fairhaven) should have fuel and floaters at the north end; south end doubtful.

Don't know about Sackett's.

Cape Vincent reported to be under water, including municipal pier. Don't know about fuel at the marina.

Alex Bay reported to have launched a floater dock.

I suggest as your trip progresses you keep a running thread so local boaters can appraise you of where to get fuel, food, and dockage.
Hello Tetepare:

Yes, I believe ardbeg is heading downstream and then returning back upstream in August. My trip will be one way, out to the Atlantic and beyond.

Thanks Tetepare about the port situation along Ontario, NY side. Very helpful information.

Once I get started I will probably start a new thread on our voyage so we can receive posts from people ahead of us and leave an information trail for those who follow. We will try to keep the posts timely, but I believe Internet access is difficult at sea. Great idea.

--- Escale
Old 30-06-2017, 11:58   #20

Dan, Mike here again.

I checked and applied for passport just because it would be the only thing holding me back. Expedited, will be here in plenty of time.
I have no criminal history, have no problems with dealing with anyone in a position authority, including you (the captain). If you have read my other post you know I have 100s of hours dual handing a Islander 36 from the straights of Mackinac, down to Lk Ontario. Very limited in salt water, experience, quick learner. I as well have checked all that may interfere, and can commit to 6/8 weeks from departure date. As well I am a journey man level Electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, heating and cooling technician.
I am Ex/Military U.S. Army, Don't want to sound like I am pleading, so I will end with this. I very much want to be part of this should it take place. I feel I would be a true asset to the journey

Thanks for you consideration.
yinshu22@gmail.com
Michael D Shoebottom
yinshu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 18:14   #21

Boat: English bilge keel 22'

Hey Dan, also very interested. Sent you a private message. Let's chat.

kylefwatson@gmail.com

Cheers
CanadianCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 16:17   #22

I inspected Dan's 50ft Cross trimaran two months ago, it appeared to be in impeccable condition.
He is VERY knowledgeable as he has a background in charter boats, what a wonderful opportunity.
Cheers, Stephen
PS, Dan Bridgeton North Carolina has very nice and inexpensive slips for your wide trimaran and they don't charge extra for end ties.
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 14:09   #23

Savanna update:

We have me and 2 crewman to Kingston ON.
If you want to join to go the length to the Martimes, then we have room.
But after Kingston, we will only have two of us, still manageable, but slower.

So we have openings for Crew continuing out the St Lawrence Seaway.

Our departure date will be on or after July 23rd 2017 from Midland, ON. I would like to move quickly through the Great Lakes and slow down near and around the Martimes. I understand it is just to beautiful to fly by.

I just can not tell you when we will be at Kingston, ON. But, will post dates as we get close.
We have been testing her diesel and sails in the bay. Here is our Spot bread crumb link site:
I hope CF will not delete it.

SPOT Shared Page

Everything on the boat checks out. Engine, Stove, Electrical, water tanks and water pressure. Sewage management, dinghy, VHF radio, sails and lines, anchors, Garmin chart plotter, safety equipment, and all 9 winches, frozen shackles have been either removed or lubed so they will work. We seems to have extra lines of all sizes as replacement if something breaks.

I have been pushing her up to white caps in 12 to 18 kts on daily test runs. she pushed up to 9.1kts over ground on the chart plotter, I can not wait to see what she does in 20 kts wind.

We had a problem with the 5 hp dinghy motor. I had a tech go over it and it seems it has old gas grunge in the tank, tank filter, hose, bulb, following hose, in the intake hose and the fuel filter. It was plugging it up so much that it would stall when in the Bay.

Now with a new hoses and bulb, and flushed lines, everything seems to be clean and flowing. I use it each day to go from the Marina to the Midland City Harbor. Y0u can see the 5hp 4 stroke Mercury motor stored on its motor mount on deck.

I would like to post this journey on this website for others to follow. I'm quite sure I will not post it here in the crew wanted threads. Does anyone know where I should post the Savanna Journey on this site?

Thanks in advance.

So, if you are considering let me know, we are looking to towards the Atlantic.

--- Escale Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170720_054822.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	152339   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170719_132105.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	152340  

Old 25-07-2017, 13:24   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Hi AiniA, when you were at the "Rock" did you have radar? and how essential would you say it is for that area?

Thanks
Gary
Howdy Gary.

I just returned from cruising around parts of Newfoundland for 3 weeks. This was after traveling through heavy fog 100 miles off the coasts of Massachusetts and Maine.

In Newfoundland waters, we saw both clear days (unlimited visibility) with daytime temps in 70s (Fahrenheit), AND several days of thick fog (visibility down to 100 feet). Water temperatures varied from 54 degrees down to a low of 42 degrees!

I helped the captain using the Furuno RADAR to watch for boats, land, rocks, fishing buoys, and icebergs (yes, ICEBERGS!).

We saw several large icebergs and approached a few (in clear visibility days).

I also spent hours talking to local fishermen. They warned me of the South Coast (of Newfoundland) being VERY FOGGY during the summer months. In fact, they joked that it was the place from which ALL the fog in NF came from.

We also had an AIS transceiver. It is helpful when looking for ferries and commercial traffic, but NOT ALL boats have AIS transponders, especially the many small fishing boats. In fact, we passed local fishing boats that did NOT have any AIS signature, but were visible on RADAR.

The crab fishing season in NF has been cancelled early, so there will not be crab pots to worry about. But, the fishermen will switch to another type of fishing.

In my view, RADAR is essential for cruising around fog bound coasts like Newfoundland. AIS is very helpful, but not as reliable as AIS for seeing all boats. That view was shared by the President of a local port's fishing cooperative I interviewed. He knows of local boats lost in fog because they did not have RADAR.

Also, the NF Pilot Books warn that the charts (and chartplotters based on them) may NOT be accurate for parts of the coast.

Much of the NF coastline is very rugged, with 200 foot high sheer cliffs at the edge of land. Most of the coast is remote, unpopulated (no houses, no buildings, no roads) with NO lights ashore visible. So, the coast is dark and dangerous at night.

In short, RADAR would be helpful when coastal cruising NF.

I hope that helps you and others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:26   #25

Boat: S2 9.1

Thanks Steady Hand, appreciate it.

Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 08:07   #26

Everyone reading this thread:

We made it to Sarnia.
Great sailing in Heron South from Tobermory.
After reviewing Steadman's post, we will be in Toronto in about August 9th (9 days) for a
Radar installation.
Safe is always the best way to go.

At Sarnia we will be dropping off 1 crewman and pickup up another.
So, we will be 3 souls aboard up to Kingston, ON.

So, we are still looking for crew through the next week.

Send me a private message is you want to check this off your bucket list.
We could use an extra hand.

--- Dan Escale

[IMG]file:////home/dann/SavannaJourney/17-07-28_10-50-23.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///home/dann/SavannaJourney/17-07-28_10-50-23.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17-07-28_10-50-23.png
Views:	100
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	153030  
Old 30-07-2017, 08:13   #27

Here are a couple of pictures of the chart plotter and off the deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170726_141410.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	153033   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170724_132055.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	153034  

Name:	20170724_125232.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	153035  
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13   #28

I think I posted earlier.
I am available middle to the end of next week.
If you want my sailing resume I can send.
TWCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 13:09   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWCrowell View Post
I think I posted earlier.
I am available middle to the end of next week.
If you want my sailing resume I can send.
I will send you a PM
We are still looking
We have scheduled a radar install in Whitby, ON
We are not sure how long that will take.

Lake Erie was a blast. We have been covering 90 nm in 12 to 13 hours a day.

We pulled the Gennaker out and sailed wing on wing. moving 7 to 8 kts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	17-08-03_10-56-38.png
Views:	124
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	153306  
Old 04-08-2017, 08:38   #30

Hello from Port Stanley, ON.

For future sailors, here is a area report.

We are a large trimaran, 50ft in length and 26ft on the beam.
So, we anticipate difficulties and are used to solving unique problems.
We left Leamington, ON which was a nice municipal port where we found fuel, fresh water hookup, 30 amp service, washrooms and showers and coin operated laundry rooms. We were docked at the T of the pier for about 75 a night. They had pretty much every traveling sailor would need. The town was a hike to get beer wine and food, but there are taxis available. We hiked for about a mile to get to Chucks Roadhouse Bar and Grill, where, if you buy a pint of beer, you can order 1 or 2 lbs of chicken wings with cucumber and dip for half price off. I think my dinner bill was a total of 8.50. And the walk back burned most of that off.

So, we stocked up water, diesel and fresh food from the food mart and shoved off. There isn't much on the Canadian side for harbors that can accommodate us. Everyone said we could sail 50 miles to the US boarder and find all kinds of marinas, but our destination is Welland Canal and that would add miles and time to our journey. Smaller boats could found ports on the Canadian side, but with our beam it is difficult, but after a few calls we found Port Stanley.

We called in and found that Port Stanley have no services on their dock. They could easily allow us to dock on the sea wall which was lined with large tractor tires every 8 ft. Thank goodness we carry about 8 fenders.

I believe this is a working industrial harbor. Their must be about 10 fishing trawlers. anchored there, but there was the entire north wall where anyone could park. We understand there will be a tall ship rendezvous this weekend which will use that side. Depth was between 15 to 10 feet, no problem. It is a straight harbor with a jetty reaching out 200 feet or so. The entrance narrows to about 100 ft wide. There isn't a curve in the harbour so if waves come directly from the south, they tend to travel in. As you come in there is a natural basin on the starboard side that one can anchor in for a quick rest stop.

So, we docked next to the fisherman and yes, there are no facilities. We parked near the town draw bridge which opens every hour if a sailboat wants to get through. On the other side of the bridge is Kettle creek where there are 4 private marinas. They have a few transient berths, but nothing that is super sized.

So, we packed a few waters and headed in to the town. Which was just a short walk to the drawbridge. This is basically a cottage summer home kind of town. No banks but several ATM's, 1 laundry mat which opened yesterday, 1 gas station. 1 grocery store and lots of coffee, tea, art, hardware, ice cream parlors, restaurants with a California style beach volleyball atmosphere. It was Malibu, chicken, beef, pork and Malibu coconut shrimp. We had the perch fish and chip Thursday night dinner at GT's Surf, Sand and Suds, which for lightly battered fried food, tasted real good. There were a variety of restaurants Asian, Sushi & Mediterranean were also represented.

So, if you need gas or diesel you would have to take a portable container into town and bring it back. They have pumps near the marinas, but the underground storage tanks are on Stans marina property and the pump is on the competitive marinas property and they are in the middle of litigation, so the tanks are not getting filled. Bummer, everyone takes a dinghy and/or trucks and walks to the gas station to get their fuel.

However the fishing boats have no problem. They buy diesel fuel off the dock but must use a 3 inch hose that doesn't fit any pleasure craft that I know of. They don't even have an adapter to fill a container for you. You turn that pump on pointed to a small funnel on a 5 gal container and everyone gets a diesel bath. Not pretty.

So, because we were a pleasure boat that docked up and with a length that they haven't seen in a while, two or three city council people came over to ask why were there. They wanted to know what they could do to get more pleasure craft in their harbour. They recently took control of the harbour and after spending a million dollars on a large city park project, which generates no revenue for them, are now looking to venture into the pleasure boat harbour park business. Oh, BTW, this "no facility" dockage cost us 0.50 cents a meter per night to dock. So for about 8 bucks a night it is dirt cheap.

We gave them a three point plan to accommodate visiting boats.
1) a fuel dock with sewage pump out. Centrally located so one can dock, get fuel, pump out, pay for your stay, move off and dock up somewhere.
2) docks where we could plug into 30 or 50 amp service and connect to fresh water.
3) The addition of washrooms, showers and laundry facilities that are within walking distance would be nice.

I would pay between 50 to 70 dollars a night if I could get all that.

The next closest facility East towards the Welland Canal is Port Colborne which is about 90 nm East from here that can accommodate our length and beam.

So, until the city figures what they want to do, the fishing boats will continue to supply excellent fish netted from Lake Eire and locals will be driving their vehicles back and forth between their boats and the gas station to keep on motoring.

Next stop Port Colborne.

--- Dan Escale
s/v Savanna
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170730_082853.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	153366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_192424.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	424.5 KB