Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 17:16   #1

Boat: Custom Norm Cross 50'ft Trimaran
Lake Huron > Erie > Ontario > St Lawrence > Atlantic Summer 17

Or a part of it if your time is limited.
Leaving Georgian Bay after July 14th, 2017

Relaxed Owner/Captain who needs crew.
I have a 50 ft Trimaran which can sleep 3 couples.
One Head
100 Gal of water,
Strong Diesel.
fridge/freezer,
Duties will include watches & cooking.

I would prefer couples, but singles are welcome to respond.
Passports required due to Canadian/US crossings & docking.
Experience would be helpful.

Alcohol drinking not allowed while at sea.
Food provided while aboard.
Expenses off the boat in dock or harbor are yours.

My absolute destination is down the US coast to Virginia or Carolina's.

Let me know if you are interested

--- Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170607_154340.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	150359  
escale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 20:08   #2

Boat: Hunter 45 CC
Re: Lake Huron > Erie > Ontario > St Lawrence > Atlantic Summer 17

Hello Dan
I have an interest, but my wife doesn't. How long do you expect the cruise to take? You can reach me via PM for a phone number and detailed information
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 21:31   #3

Hello Sailor_Al:

You know sail time is much different than Airplane time.
But, I have talked to people and they say that from Georgian Lake to St Lawrence would take about 21 days. I don't know if that helps. Perhaps others have done this and have more of an idea. I'm hoping to leave after Jul 15th, but am planing the entire summer to get her down the coast. If the crew and I can make good time, then we will use that time to check out all the interesting spots in between. I've sailed from RI to Virginia in November and am not interested in repeating that schedule. Some the strongest storms I've encountered. Hope this helps.

--- Dan
Old 23-06-2017, 16:44   #4

Boat: S2 9.1

Hi are you planning on going all the way out the St Lawrence ? The Erie Barge canal is a LOT shorter unless you really want to see the Maritimes.

You could be at the Niagara entrance in a few days. It takes a minimum of 5 days to go through the canal to Albany then a pleasant run down the Hudson.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 17:19   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Be forewarned Lake Ontario is flooded. Many marinas have no services including fuel and dockage is limited.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 19:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Be forewarned Lake Ontario is flooded. Many marinas have no services including fuel and dockage is limited.
Thanks Tetepare:

This boat has most everything, but we will need food, water and diesel.
I'll be out there again in mid July and should study all the options .
I was there in early June and most of the boaters noticed that the water level was high.
I just believed that there would be marinas up and down both sides of Ontario for food, water & fuel.
Thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps I should bring lots of bottled water, can goods and double my fuel capacity in fuel cans just as extra insurance.

--- Escale
Old 23-06-2017, 19:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
Hi are you planning on going all the way out the St Lawrence ? The Erie Barge canal is a LOT shorter unless you really want to see the Maritimes.

You could be at the Niagara entrance in a few days. It takes a minimum of 5 days to go through the canal to Albany then a pleasant run down the Hudson.

Thanks Gary Mc:

It pays to listen to the locals.
You have my attention.

This is a good idea.
I figure I have all summer to get to Maine through the St Lawrence, by say September, and then just head south.
I thought it would nice to see the Maritimes on this trip.
It is sort of on my bucket list.

But, if we run short of time, I guess I can always turn back and exercise that option for safety's sake. Nothing here is set in stone. It is always best to review all options to make the best decision.

Thanks for the tip.

--- Escale
Old 23-06-2017, 20:34   #8

I am interested an available after the first week of August. Can I join you for a week or 10 days? Sorry I can't do the whole thing.
TWCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 13:54   #9

Hello I am Michael Shoebottom a 53 year old , retired, single, man Six years army special operations. Have been planning and dreaming of doing this trip for more then 20 years. I have a 16 yr old son and when he is done with school I will be. Have a lifetime of sailing exp. Started on a sunfish at 9.
Crewed on a friends islander 36 for the last six years on the great lakes. Sailed all kinds of craft between, in good shape not afraid of bad weather. Would be very interested in the whole trip. I am a Bay City residegmailnt, can meet up anywhere. I have a completely open schedule. So when and where we end up would be of no concern. I am very interested and truly hope to hear from you , can be reached at yinshu22 at gmail.com or 9893322021
yinshu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 14:21   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by escale View Post
Thanks Gary Mc:

It pays to listen to the locals.
You have my attention.

This is a good idea.
I figure I have all summer to get to Maine through the St Lawrence, by say September, and then just head south.
I thought it would nice to see the Maritimes on this trip.
It is sort of on my bucket list.

But, if we run short of time, I guess I can always turn back and exercise that option for safety's sake. Nothing here is set in stone. It is always best to review all options to make the best decision.

Thanks for the tip.

--- Escale
Your timing is very much tied to how much you want to push. An overnight sail will 'do' a lake and by the time you are leaving the water will be reasonably warm so comfortable at night. Seems to me that two approaches make sense. Take your time, go port to port, and use the Erie Canal, OR go very quickly and get as much time as possible in the Maritimes, certainly including Newfoundland. We have circumnavigated and no place we went was as interesting as the Rock. You could go along the south shore, at least to St. Pierre (a chance to enter France for a new days) and then go from there directly to New England, perhaps aiming for the Cape Cod Canal.
Old 26-06-2017, 14:24   #11

Some people have asked for more information, so I'm posting here for all potential crew.

1) We will have an EPIRB aboard.
2) I have have a Spot Gen 3 to track boat progress to a web page for your family.
3) Potential crew should have their own PFDs or life vests. Because:
a) There are so many colors, makes, models & sizes that I cannot suit everyone.
b) Bring whistles, reflective mirrors, headlamps & strobe lights if you want.
4) The boat has oversize lifelines that I will net up so no one rolls off the deck.
5) I have have jack lines installed and have safety harnesses for everyone on deck.

I've uploaded two interior pictures kitchen salon berth area and the berth area ready to go. The upper berth has a long draw curtain that can be pulled to enclose the area for privacy while one sleeps.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

--- Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savanna-48a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	150748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Savanna-21a.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	150749  

Old 26-06-2017, 14:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Your timing is very much tied to how much you want to push. An overnight sail will 'do' a lake and by the time you are leaving the water will be reasonably warm so comfortable at night. Seems to me that two approaches make sense. Take your time, go port to port, and use the Erie Canal, OR go very quickly and get as much time as possible in the Maritimes, certainly including Newfoundland. We have circumnavigated and no place we went was as interesting as the Rock. You could go along the south shore, at least to St. Pierre (a chance to enter France for a new days) and then go from there directly to New England, perhaps aiming for the Cape Cod Canal.
Thanks Ainia:

Very good suggestions.
Yes, these are exactly the two options
It will certainly be discussed with the crew.
I would love to at least see the Maritimes.
Stopped here and there for a day or so would be icing on my travel cake.
Unless we have a grave concern, I believe it will be worth it.
I've sailed near Rhode Island and Long Island Sound in November.
Rough cold rainy weather was the usual fare.
If we can launch about Nova Scotia about mid September, then I believe it will be a nice cruise down the US Coast.

--- Dan
Old 26-06-2017, 14:55   #13

Boat: S2 9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Hi AiniA, when you were at the "Rock" did you have radar? and how essential would you say it is for that area?

Thanks
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 18:28   #14

Mike here good to hear from you so soon.

I have sailed from the Les Cheneux Islands to lake Ontario several times. As well as the return trip. We were based out of the Clinton river in Lk St Clair. My father kept a sail or power craft at the Detroit Edison Y/C on the Detroit river, since I was a young lad. I have been studying the trip since the day he told me you could get to the open ocean at age 13. I have no doubt that two able experienced sailor's could handle a 50 ft tri. However more crew makes life a little easier, as well the locks in the St Lawrence do require three crew for passage. I do believe that crew can be supplied at the lock for a fee, not sure on this. I plan to single hand an s2/9.2 C On the exact trip in two years. When my son is done with high school. For this trip if it were to take place, he would stay with his mother.
The only time restraint that I would have would be school starting, perhaps around the 14 of Sept. If it were to happen I would like to know what navigation electronics were aboard. So I could make my self familiar.
I am hardly a tried and true race ready skipper, I have some six years on an islander 36 , the last six years. I know exactly what such a trip entails.
As well I have been a boat owner for most of my life, I earned my living as a mechanical contractor. There is very little that can break that I can not fix. Diesel marine, marine electrical, refrigeration, a very handy man to have on a boat of any kind.
What you are doing right now is what I have been preparing to do, for well over 20 years. And the powers of the universe willing will do when I am done being a full time single father. If there is a way to do this now and help you get to your destination . I am there, The only thing I am lacking is a passport, would have no problem getting one and will check on it asap. I know my brother got one in a few days, years back had to go to Chicago. But I would go to great lengths if it becomes necessary. Hope to hear back, can answer any questions you might have.

Thanks Mike
yinshu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 22:33   #15

Boat: Catalina 375

I am currently on about the same trip. Left Kingston Ont. a few days ago and currently in Montréal heading to Quebec City Saturday. You can get fuel and food along the way from Kingston. Spoke to US sailor who just did Oswego, NY to Montreal. Fuel not a problem for his route. Motored to Montreal however with currents from high water, averaged 8-10 knots sog. A veritable sled ride. Montreal is 1.75 meters over datum this week however there is access to all yacht clubs. The Seaway put out a notice about currents due to historic water release at Cornwall dam. I did not have any trouble and thought to myself, some of the currents in 1000 Islands were worse. I am at Pointe Claire Yacht Club and it is probably the only time I could go there as I draw 7 feet. As for down river from Montréal, everything is operating as normal. I assume you have researched the currents around Quebec City and downriver from there. Quebec has 18 foot tides. My destination is Isles de la Madeleine. Returning upstream in August. Look out for me and we can maybe raise a glass!
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, ontario