Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2016, 16:01   #1

Is age an issue?

I'm 63yo, very active and in good health despite receiving a new heart valve three years ago. I was a commercial fisherman for forty years in Alaska and New England working mostly on offshore draggers. I had a 1600 ton master oceans license before the USCG decided to take it away. There isn't much on a boat that I haven't dealt with on numerous occasions. I've bought a sailboat because I really miss being on the water but I have only minimal sailing experience. I'm very used to life on a boat and take seamanship and crew responsibility very seriously. I believe I'm good company and while I'm no academic I'm fairly well read, as we used to say on fishing boats I'm a good "dory mate".
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 16:56   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Is age an issue?

G'Day Fish,

Hell, at 63 you are a pup still! And from all the other detail, I'd say you would be welcome on board our boat any time. The sailing stuff will be easy to pick up... it's the years of seamanship that you have accumulated that takes, well, years at sea to acquire. The details of boat management may be different on your Cape Dory, but the sea is still the same ol' gal, out to getcha. You will do fine, and I hope that you enjoy the llife as much as Ann and I have.

And merry, happy and all that too!

Jim
Old 25-12-2016, 13:59   #3

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Sorry about the license. Both the USCG and DOT like to pigeon hole people on certain health issues, regardless of your actual current condition.
Old 25-12-2016, 14:31   #4

Welcome to sailing... You'll do just fine... and if you are watching your weather forecasts you should have a lot of peace and enjoyment out there... Maine as you know is heaven for sailors so you could be in a better spot.

You might want to get radar because the fog and pour down and leave you blind... and left to depend on a chart plotter for position... but that would do much for collision avoidance. If you single hand you def want a autotpilot.

As someone who began sailing in mid life with no boating experience whatsoever...and now almost 70... with 10's of thousands of offshore miles under my belt.... and most single and two handed... I assure you that you will be a quick learn.

Just be careful, prudent...and make sure your boat's in top condition...

The best is yet to come!!!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 14:45   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Work smarter not harder. Age on a boat is only an issue in terms of knowing your limitations and being intelligent about factoring them in and finding workable solutions. If you've spent your life on boats you're 90% of the way there. Sail on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:34   #6

Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

I'm 70, and would not mind at all having a young pup like you for a crewmember.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:40   #7

I've crewed on three trips down the east coast to Florida since turning 65. I've got 4 stents and had a balloon angioplasty. After awhile you get to know your limits and the signs that things may be going south on you. I only crew the trips with conservative sailors that are not in a hurry.
defensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 08:54   #8

Boat: Oday 25

Anyone under 70 is a "young one". I'm still sailing at 77 and still operate the launch for my boat club a couple of days a week during the season. The CG unofficialy probably won't renew my licensce when if expires in a couple of years.. And yeah, I know that there is no descrimation due to age but they can always find something in an old persons health records. We had a club member who sailed by himself until he was 92. Now he sails with others at 94
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:06   #9

Boat: ODAY 28

we have a member at our club who is stilling sailing at 92,,,,
and usually finishes 1st in his class on our club races,,,,,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:13   #10

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Fish,

Hell, at 63 you are a pup still! And from all the other detail, I'd say you would be welcome on board our boat any time. The sailing stuff will be easy to pick up... it's the years of seamanship that you have accumulated that takes, well, years at sea to acquire. The details of boat management may be different on your Cape Dory, but the sea is still the same ol' gal, out to getcha. You will do fine, and I hope that you enjoy the llife as much as Ann and I have.

And merry, happy and all that too!

Jim
I can't add anything to what Jim says. Go for it and enjoy... as you add years of sea time your value as crew only is enhanced. At 75, I am still asked to accompany folks on deliveries, asked advice and offered very lucrative jobs at sea. Having spent many years on commercial vessels internationally, experience is really sought after. Some of the new electronic stuff is difficult, at least for me, but the younger set seem to take to it fine. If you can read a chart, understand weather and tides and steer a course, you'll be fine!
Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:24   #11

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

It's health rather than age. I doubt the artificial heart valve makes any difference about how much effort you can exert. If you have balance issues or eye hand coordination problems, then think about the limitations like those. Experience means a lot so accentuate that.
I am 75 years old and am looking for 27 to 32 foot sailboat to own with my stepson. He is retiring this spring so we have to get serious about looking at sailboats. Seems half the sailboat for sale are on the market because the owner says he is getting too old, but these owners appear to be younger than I am and on talking with them, it seems it is mostly not having people to go sailing with like they used to.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 09:49   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i would cherish a youngster with your experience-----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 10:55   #13

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

I have a friend who is 90 and she just downsized from a 30 footer to a Flicka 20 just so she could keep going out solo. She is an inspiration to me. Is is so much about attitude!
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:11   #14

Boat: Casacde 36

Sounds like you'll be an asset aboard. Don't worry.
I have similar tale, with USCG. Over 60, diabetes, heart attack etc but still long distance runner and pretty fit. Sailed my old boat out to Hawaii and back recently.
Just because you don't fit their "template" shouldn't discourage you. Prudence is where it's at. Enjoy your time afloat.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:30   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

My belief, and it is not uncommon, is that I am now 10 years from middle age. This is as true at 73 as it was at 33. I believe you have received a flock of positive replies, but the negative are out there in hiding, few having to do with anything put a perception of age that does not conform with reality. If you are looking for a gig or sailing companions, have no worries about your end.