Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 12:38   #16

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft
Re: Is age an issue?

What is it the the USCG do that may hinder your sailing. Here in the UK there are no such regulations for the ordinary sailor. There maybe certain restrictions to commercially endorsed skippers. I am 69 ex RN Medic 5ft 8in 11and half stone very fit both physically and mentally. Ok I have had 4stents and two weeks ago had a pacemaker fitted but will be back sailing in a month or so. Do they think life finishes at a certain age point. I wonder if they apply that to some of their senior officers? My view is if you can breathe and move all the limbs get out and enjoy, yourself let the bureaucrats rot!

Terry107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:55   #17

Boat: Roberts25 26ft
Thumbs up Re: Is age an issue?

I started to learn sailing at 63 with irregular heart beat.
Go for it and enjoy it. I wish you good sailing and fair winds.

Dieter Volga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:44   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Let's see. I'm 68 now...umm still 68...yes still 68. It goes so fast now I have to keep checking. Once I was an athlete. Once I weighed less. Once I was younger. I've been sailing for 47 years. I enjoyed it on a dinghy. I enjoyed it on a small boat. I enjoy it now on a comfortable cruising sailboat. Age? Avoid it at all costs! Whoever invented getting old had a really bad idea! However, there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative so we might as well do the things that give us pleasure in life. Stop worrying about age and go sailing.
Tayana42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 15:43   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Too bad your in Main. I'm sailing from Portland OR to Alaska this summer and am looking for crew. You'd be perfect.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 15:55   #20

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

My only advice, and you've already done it, is be up front about any medical conditions so you capt and fellow crew can be prepared if something goes awry...
Old 26-12-2016, 16:03   #21

I've done Seattle to various points in Alaska, inside and out numerous times. Very nice trip, in summer.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 19:31   #22

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Wow, love this discussion! Totally agree with ZEEHAG, as well as MAKA--though I'm still stuck in the Philippines with lots of work to do before PILAR can sail again...any of you old guys who know anything about gaffers interested in helping make that happen?
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 20:22   #23

It can be but mostly just how you feel and what kind of shape you're in. I think it will be different for everyone. I recently returned (July to Oct) from crewing on a SF50 from Cape Town S.A. to Annapolis, Md. I turned 69 years old the day we left St. Helena heading for St. Lucia(22 day passage) . Two months at sea and I felt a lot younger on the trip than I do now sitting here in my arm chair watching the boob toob. And, as soon as my wife is not looking, I'm gone again.

Enjoy your boat and sail as long as it feels good.

dwb
Old 26-12-2016, 23:07   #24

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i would cherish a youngster with your experience-----
Sounds like a proposal Fish.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 23:51   #25

Boat: 1980 Hunter 36

When I took a month this summer and cruised around Vancouver Island, I think I didn't meet anyone less than 25 years older than me, and I'm in my mid 30s. As others are saying, you are actually on the younger side of the cruising demographic!
Old 26-12-2016, 23:55   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

I had a heart bypass 10 years ago, and the USCG jerked my license for medical reasons. This year I climbed Mt Whitney and am probably in better shape than 90% of licensed captains. I asked for and received a copy of my license with no expiration date to use as a certificate of competence.

When I go offshore, if I don't make it my crew's instructions are to break out the rum and toast my departure.

With your seatime, learning to sail should come easy.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:36   #27

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Terry,
Age is not an issue but, to some, medical problems are a concern. In today's litigious world, there could be serious repercussions concerning a crew's/captain's medical liabilities. And, without full disclosure to all parties involved, it may be a prescription for disaster. But, even with a medical disclaimer in writing, you could be legally responsible for a medical emergency on board with crew/captain that has a known medical issue. The bottom line is that much has changed in the world when trust is abridged for monetary gain. This is the sad reality in the world in which we live. It has changed, for many, the nature of relationships forever. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 07-01-2017, 16:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Too bad your in Main. I'm sailing from Portland OR to Alaska this summer and am looking for crew. You'd be perfect.
Do you know anyone in pdx willing to help take 22' Santana small distance up Columbia in pdx end of January? I just bought boat, have no experience AT ALL and don't know anyone in pdx help me bring her to her new slip up river.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
Sounds like you'll be an asset aboard. Don't worry.
I have similar tale, with USCG. Over 60, diabetes, heart attack etc but still long distance runner and pretty fit. Sailed my old boat out to Hawaii and back recently.
Just because you don't fit their "template" shouldn't discourage you. Prudence is where it's at. Enjoy your time afloat.
tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 16:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanni View Post
Do you know anyone in pdx willing to help take 22' Santana small distance up Columbia in pdx end of January? I just bought boat, have no experience AT ALL and don't know anyone in pdx help me bring her to her new slip up river.
Sorry, didn't mean to post that here, don't know how to remove, yikes!

tsanni is offline   Reply With Quote