Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 17:01   #1
cruiser

Thumbs up I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

Hey everyone. I need a skilled Captain to bring a 37' sailboat from Nassau,Bahama's to South Florida, preferably Key West. I need this done ASAP.

Sailboat is in great condition. Can sail or motor.

Pay is negotiable.

Please message me if interested.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-03-2014, 17:04   #2

Re: I need a Sailboat Delivered-From Nassau

Details?

Mark Twain
Old 02-03-2014, 17:12   #3
cruiser

I am purchasing a 1983 Dehler 37' Sloop. I live in Mobile,Alabama. The boat is located right now in Nassau,Bahama's. So I am going to be in Key West for the next 2 weeks and want skilled captain to bring the boat to south Florida. Then I will bring the boat from South Florida to Mobile,Alabama myself. I just need a captain to bring it from Nassau to Florida.

Here is a bit more info on the boat: 1983 Dehler Sloop Sailboat sailboat for sale in Outside United States
Old 02-03-2014, 17:16   #4

Boat: Lord Nelson 35

I know a guy...
Old 02-03-2014, 19:07   #5

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Jeff, I sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

okay let's examine this its a 1983 boat for sale on eBay for $22,600 and it's in the Bahamas. The buyer needs this move right away to Florida where he plans to be for 2 weeks but he can't move it. Red flags. Do the math. Beware. Why doesn't he go to Nassau and move it if he can move it from Florida back to mobile. But he needs this done right away. So whether hey skipper has to get to Nassau or is there now. ...there will be expensive airfare.it could be a very easy or a very tough trip to Key West but when the buyer has probably not even seen or inspected the boats it raises red flags.at the very least the buyer should provide a lot more information here and my guess is the new boat owner is not willing to pay very much because he bought the boat for so little money and when he finds what aproper deLivery and airfares cost will get sticker sHock. I could be wrong but this is what my experience shows. I hope it works out for everyone but why can't the owner get the boat if he is going to be in FloRida? Lots of questions... beware. EveryThing may be on the up and up but I see Ted flags.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:17   #7
cruiser

Paul, u should have just asked me instead of making assumptions because I would have gladly answered.

1. I paid way more than 22k for the boat. The exact price is no ones business. We made a private deal. The auction at eBay was closed

2. I want an experienced captain to bring the boat to key west from Nassau
Bc I don't have a passport at the moment and will b another 3 weeks before I can have one

3. I'm already prepared to pay a captains airfare to go to the boat or vice versa.

4. Just bc I haven't seen the boat doesn't mean I haven't already had an experienced surveyor look at the boat.

5. This thread was for me to hire a captain to bring a boat from Nassau to key west. if you're not interested in doing that don't make inacurate accusations
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

I apologize for any inaccurate assumptions and meant no personal offense. I meant this as a caveat to potential delivery skippers and for good reason... and based on a lOt of experience as I was trying to be helpful. You did buy a boat on eBay without haVing seen it. You bought a boat in a foreign country without a passport. You can get a passport in a hurry for a fee that would be less than the delivery costs. Did you get it surveyed? Was she hauled out? Is she insured? What do you think is a reasonable fee to pay crew to sail her to key west? I speak from expeRience and raise these red flags fRom eXperience in an attempt to be helpful to readers of this forum but not to insult you or anYone. Nevertheless this scenario seems fraught with complicaTions.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:11   #9
cruiser

Paul

I thank u for your professional advice and what u wrote does make sense. As I'm driving at the moment to key west it's hard to type but when I get to hotel ill post more info about the boat.

I've never hired a captain before and am just trying to find someone experienced to bring the boat to south fl for me

Thanks again for the help and advice

Jeff
Old 03-03-2014, 10:48   #10

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
okay let's examine this its a 1983 boat for sale on eBay for $22,600 and it's in the Bahamas. The buyer needs this move right away to Florida where he plans to be for 2 weeks but he can't move it. Red flags. Do the math. Beware. Why doesn't he go to Nassau and move it if he can move it from Florida back to mobile. But he needs this done right away. So whether hey skipper has to get to Nassau or is there now. ...there will be expensive airfare.it could be a very easy or a very tough trip to Key West but when the buyer has probably not even seen or inspected the boats it raises red flags.at the very least the buyer should provide a lot more information here and my guess is the new boat owner is not willing to pay very much because he bought the boat for so little money and when he finds what aproper deLivery and airfares cost will get sticker sHock. I could be wrong but this is what my experience shows. I hope it works out for everyone but why can't the owner get the boat if he is going to be in FloRida? Lots of questions... beware. EveryThing may be on the up and up but I see Ted flags.
I often like to give someone the benefit of the doubt, especially for a new member. There are plenty of time to sort out the details to satisfy both sides. Everyone goes home happy.
Old 03-03-2014, 17:22   #11
cruiser

I appreciate everyone's help,advice and private messages... I have been driving all day today, and will be in Key West tomorrow after 3 o'clock, and I will respond to all Pm's

Thanks again!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 19:24   #12

Don't text and drive.

Old 03-03-2014, 21:32   #13

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciborg View Post
I appreciate everyone's help,advice and private messages... I have been driving all day today, and will be in Key West tomorrow after 3 o'clock, and I will respond to all Pm's

Thanks again!!!
I see other potential difficulties I hope you've thought of. Getting ownership changed to your name prior to the trip, clearance from the Bahamas and into the US.

I don't know if you've already applied for your passport, if it's original or renewal. But you can get passports in as little as one day and no more than three. It would seem that even if you use a captain you might need to go to the Bahamas as part of the purchase.
Old 03-03-2014, 22:53   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Without any references to less than Hoyle intentions of the OP - bringing a foreign registered boat into the USA involves Customs clearance, etc., which involves cruising permits, ownership documents and possible USCG or DEA inspections. If the boat has recently or currently been used for illegal activities by the former owner the liabilities to the "delivery Captain" can be extreme. The delivery captain will have to thoroughly inspect and determine if the boat is indeed "clean" and also if it is seaworthy for the trip across the Gulf Stream.

Even for a used boat purchased inside the USA, getting it sea worthy can involve expenses approaching 50 to 100% of the purchase price. The price of boat parts in the Bahamas can be significantly above the price of the same part in the USA.

And the OP needs to be prepared for the delivery Captain to refuse the job after his on-site personal inspection of the boat, which means the air ticket needs to be a prepaid round trip ticket along with a fee for time and expenses while outside the USA.

Typical professional delivery costs - I had to engage one to bring my boat back from the US Virgins to Florida - can run in the US$5K to $10K range with no guarantee that the boat will actually be moved.

This leads to my and other posters' suggestions to wait and get your passport so you can personally inspect the boat and supervise any repairs needed to make it seaworthy for a Gulf Stream Crossing and a sail down the Hawk Channel to Key West.

I don't cruise the Miami to Key West route anymore due to extreme costs and fines if the boat or skipper gets involved an any damage to the Florida Keys' reefs or sea grass beds. So you can surmise that the whole operation can quickly get very complicated and expensive, and more so if you hire a delivery Captain.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55   #15
Marine Service Provider

Osiris raises many good points of which I was not aware. I have safely handled enough deLiveries within us waters to understand many of the complicatIons and what I refer to as red flags when such requests appear here and in other forums. SpeciFically. .. owner has not seen boat. . Owner purchases boat on eBay. . Owner had no passport. . Boat is 1983 ... Boat is in foreign country. . And reddest of all. ..must be done right away m...

Tags
nassau, sail, sailboat